Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2006 7:46:10 AM EDT
After looking at the location map for the shoot on the 21st a problem came to my mind.  
My GPS unit does not allow me to put in Lat/Long Coords in as a destination. hat
Thanks,
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:51:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:55:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I was in Sportmans a few days ago and they were closing out a GPS for $200. I didn't make note of which one it was,but it was originally like $300 or $350. It was the Portland Sportmans.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:01:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I personally went overboard on mine and got a Garmin IQue (pretty much a palm pilot built around a GPS platform).  I do love it as it works great, though I would certainly hope so for the $600 price tag, although in my defense I bought it when I was a locksmith and would spend all day running from place to place letting people in.  That and it beat spending a king's ransom for one of the car stereo ones.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:37:09 AM EDT
[#4]
My basic lil' ol Lowrance iFinder lets me do that...

Nick
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:32:06 AM EDT
[#5]
My dads got a Magellan I dont know the model, it cost over 300.  But you can download maps from your PC to get VERY close detail on areas.  You can put in any coords you want, Be it lat/long or where you are whatever.  Also is color which is kind of nice and the battery time is great.  Has great lock and doesnt usually take more than 15 seconds.  NOT waterproof.  Water resistant.

Ive got an older one...  Gave it to me when he got his new one.  Completly waterproof, takes a few minutes to get a lock if your in the wilderness or in a valley.  The front of it looks like the lewis and clark days of royal indian (big flat slope on the head of the unit)  its black and white.  But you can also put your coords in lat/long if you want or plot destinations and follow compass all that.  Its like a 120 dollar magellan.  But they dont make them, youd have to find it used.

My Rec is a Magellan unit over 200 dollars.  (So you can get PC interface for extra maps and a memory stick slot and and and color screen)
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:36:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

My GPS unit does not allow me to put in Lat/Long Coords in as a destination.

That is really weird.  What make/model do you have?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:37:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I had one of these for Christmas.

It does just about anything you might want of a GPS, and with additional software, will do stree by street routing/guidance -- not up to the standards of an in-car unit, but good enough for most purposes.

If you should be tempted, DO NOT activate the mapping sodtware which comes with it, but get the same software from the website I linked to for half the price.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:02:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine is a garmin, and I can manually enter Lat/lon.  If you have a Garmin you should be able to do this too.  I don't even think you need a sat signal.

Turn it on.
Go to nav screen.
Press button to set a waypoint.
A screen should appear with data for waypoint.
use arrow keys to hi-lite latitude.
hit enter. ( I think...)
use arrow keys to alter digits of latitude to match desired location.
hit enter again.
repeat with longitude.
use arrow keys to hi-lite OK button.
hit enter.
New waypoint should be located at browns camp.
use the nav/goto feature and select the waypoint.
follow the yellow brick road.

This works on my Garmin GPSMap 76.  Similar procedure probably works with other garmins, and some variation will probably work with Magellans too.

The best way to figure out how to do stuff with a GPS is to play with it.  You could also try the instructions...
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:29:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My GPS unit does not allow me to put in Lat/Long Coords in as a destination. hr

That is really weird.  What make/model do you have?

I have the Magellan SporTrak Color
Linky
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:47:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Linky

I've got the non-color version of that GPS and I can input lat/lon coords.

MUstang, do you have the mapsend software for that unit?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:20:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I believe yours WILL allow for long/lat input.  I have the Spor Trak Topo and are able to do so.  If you have the instruction book, check it out.  I'll post later how to do it on mine and perhaps it's the same as yours... in case your book is lost or misplaced it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:14:33 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Linky

I've got the non-color version of that GPS and I can input lat/lon coords.

MUstang, do you have the mapsend software for that unit?

I just don't see any way to input the coords through the unit itself.
I have thesoftware around here somewhere.

Quoted:
I believe yours WILL allow for long/lat input.  I have the Spor Trak Topo and are able to do so.  If you have the instruction book, check it out.  I'll post later how to do it on mine and perhaps it's the same as yours... in case your book is lost or misplaced it.

If you have the guide, and can tell me on what page the lat/long input instructions are on, that would be great.

Thanks for all the input folks

Update:
Woot!  I RTFM, and found the spot on how to input Lat/Long coord into the GPS unit.  It's simple once you know the process, but doesn't make much sense until you have done it once.  Basically you "mark" a new waypoint, and put the coords in the correct field.  
So I asked this question on another thread, but I'll ask it here also.  How do I convert this:

N453639.3
W1232145.4
WGS84

Into Lat/long/hieght location?  Is there software or a web site that will do it for me?  Or do I have to find a USGS map and do the conversion by hand?

Thanks again folks.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:07:49 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Update:
Woot!  I RTFM, and found the spot on how to input Lat/Long coord into the GPS unit.  It's simple once you know the process, but doesn't make much sense until you have done it once.  Basically you "mark" a new waypoint, and put the coords in the correct field.  
So I asked this question on another thread, but I'll ask it here also.  How do I convert this:

N453639.3
W1232145.4
WGS84

Into Lat/long/hieght location?  Is there software or a web site that will do it for me?  Or do I have to find a USGS map and do the conversion by hand?

Thanks again folks.

N 45 36' 39.3"
W 123 21' 45.4"

or

+45.61092

Google Maps
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:15:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Google World and GPS were created by the devil.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:29:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Actually, it was Keizer Sose.

(I don't have a freakin' clue how to spell "Sose")

Mark.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:41:36 PM EDT
[#16]

http://supportforum.sun.com/hardware/images/smiley_icons/icon_nod.gif
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:47:46 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Spelling Nazi here!

"Keiser Soze"
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:48:48 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mark.

Good movie!!!!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:42:19 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a GPS thingy in my car....if any one wants in.....Onstar I beieve its called
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top