Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 11/12/2003 9:24:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/15/2003 12:26:07 PM EDT by Balzac72]
I'll start with the good news so I can be an optimist...I am now working! It may not be ideal, but I'm starting temp work for Epstein, Becker and Green on monday. Its a huge monstrousity of a firm in Manhattan and it should be excellent experience. Besides that, I was also offered a longer duration temp assignment at another firm in NYC that does personal injury stuff. That means I'll be riding along on Sherm's ambulance!

Baaaaaad news ...... I didn't pass the bar. What else can I say besides that the multistate 200 multiple choice part absolutely jacked me up. I wasn't expecting the form of the questions, but I knew the law. Seeing my results absolutely sickens me, but what can I do? I'll have a paycheck or two soon, so that means I'm not too fucked and I won't lose my car. But that also means I cannot take the California bar like I wanted.

Maybe its a message that I should not practice law and I should do something I ENJOY.

Anyone know anyone in brokerage or financial services?
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 9:29:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/12/2003 9:29:28 AM EDT by RED_5]
Paging LT (I think he is was)
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 10:02:22 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 10:28:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Balzac72:
Maybe its a message that I should not practice law and I should do something I ENJOY.

Baaa, BFD.

Just take it again, asap.

Its pretty common to take it multiple times before passing. I know some have taken it 3, 4, or 5 times before passing.

--LS
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 1:06:05 PM EDT
Glad to hear you're solvent and don't sweat not passing the bar. If it's meant to be you'll pass it the next time. A good friend of mine took it several times and never passed the NY bar and finally went down to FL where he passed and then inherited an obscene amount of money and never practiced, so you never know what is in store for you. I believe the best advice has already been given you and its something I had to learn the hard way. Do what you enjoy. Find something that you have a true passion for and find a way to make a career of it. It took me a long time and several hideous careers before I found a way to make golf(a passion)my lifes work. Yes I don't play golf for a living but I'm in the field and truly LOVE what I do for a living and I pray that you will find whatever it is for you a lot sooner than I did. Congrats on the job and keep the faith!

Tim
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 1:11:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/12/2003 1:14:09 PM EDT by Balzac72]
The good news just took a nose dive out of the window. That Epstein, Becker and Green job just decided they don't want temp people, they want permanent people, so they canned the temp workers - me included. My resume is going out to them directly, but apparently, they'd rather have experienced paralegals.

Now I get to wait for the temp firm with the personal injury stuff to call back to see if the offer is still open. Shit.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 3:27:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/13/2003 3:27:51 AM EDT by MAP]
Sorry to hear about the exam. Did you take a study course? I know it helped me.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help

Mike
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 2:52:25 PM EDT
I hope your going to try again and take the Bar....Lots of people I talk to had a hard time. DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED...I have faith in your abilities.
More time in the books…less time at Calverton…….That’s just a joke
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 3:10:57 PM EDT
Bad news is fleeting Balzac...with your energy and intelligence, it's only a matter of time until you are admitted to the Bar.

In the meantime, if you get bored of temp work while sending resumes out you can always come work with me on a few short jobs.......Are you afraid of heights?
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 4:36:09 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 4:58:01 PM EDT
Dear Balzac:

Sorry about your test. I had a girlfriend that failed the bar and went on to become a law librarian.

I'm an options trader in NYC. Entry level jobs in Finance should be available after the first of the year.

Good luck.

Marty H
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 5:22:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MAP:

Mike

How about getting him a job.
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 7:51:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By bear3351:

Originally Posted By MAP:

Mike

Dude, I've been begging you for a job for 2 months, so now its HIS responsibility!? Great friend you are!
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 1:46:12 AM EDT

As a matter of fact our PD is looking to hire more cops. Law degree, police academy, same thing.

Mike
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 5:30:20 AM EDT
Hey, JFK Jr did just fine for himself, just latch into some blueblood $$ and you're set.

Just let someone else fly you around.

[Ted Knight]How'd you like to mow my lawn? [Ted Knight]

Seriously though.(I'm holding back a few here, I think I could go on for a few more minutes.)

Sorry to hear about the temp job drying up. Maybe personal injury IS the way to go.(Read that as "Sure you can ride my ambulance.")

I think you should throw a "I tanked the Bar party/drinkfest."

I'd go.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 7:32:13 AM EDT
Balzac, I didn't think anyone actually PASSED the BAR the first time around. What are you so upset about? It's par for the course.

Now rub some dirt on it son and git yer ass back into the seat and pass it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 9:13:54 AM EDT
Dear Balzac:

Today is the last day to apply for the next NYPD exam. Go to www.nypd.org for a free application.

Marty H
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 11:18:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Fleet1234:
Dear Balzac:

Today is the last day to apply for the next NYPD exam. Go to www.nypd.org for a free application.

Marty H

DONE! Thank you! Not only is the application free, but so is the filing and test. I'm posting this on General Discussion, I'm sure others will benefit from your post.

Thanks again! You also reminded me to call my Investigating Officer and see if my last test is still valid. Maybe they'll waive me in since the city is desperate.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 10:55:37 AM EDT
Well the real deal is that the bar has very little to do with the actual practice of law. Probably the best lawyer I know (a DA) failed the bar. Bad news is you gotta take the test again cause you didn't sweat your way through law school for nothing.

Suggestions: Try a different bar review course, and go for NYPD or Fed Leo positions (FBI)
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 11:55:04 AM EDT
Thanks Robert, thats my plan right now.

UPDATE: I start work at 10am Sunday with a firm in the city that runs until Thursday. Fortunately, since it was a last minute job, my pay is bumped up $8 an hour, so this is pretty cool!

Wish me luck!
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 1:39:00 PM EDT
Hey have you thought about the FBI , they are hiring big time right now and with a law degree you stand a very good chance !!

If you get hired by NYPD stop by bldg 6 and say hi when you go for your firearms training,

Good luck
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 1:55:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Balzac72:
Thanks Robert, thats my plan right now.

UPDATE: I start work at 10am Sunday with a firm in the city that runs until Thursday. Fortunately, since it was a last minute job, my pay is bumped up $8 an hour, so this is pretty cool!

Wish me luck!

My unit has some full time positions in Iraq. They will hire you as long as you can pass the physical and Asvab
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:37:22 PM EDT
Turns out this firm is none other than Akin Gump! Its a huge bankruptcy case, which i've never done before, so the experience is awesome. I just can't wait to rewrite my resume for this one!

Working here makes me happy I don't have to slave away for a big firm. So far I'm working 12 hour days, but atleast I get a limo home and meals. Thank God for overtime!
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 6:57:39 PM EDT
We are all happy for you.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 12:30:36 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 1:13:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 2:22:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Fleet1234:

...I had a girlfriend that failed the bar and went on to become a law librarian...

Yes, alternate law careers are just for chicks......
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 2:30:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ColtM4:
Hey have you thought about the FBI , they are hiring big time right now and with a law degree you stand a very good chance !!...

You don't stand a snowball's chance in hell. For starters, they require a bar admission now. Second, they're not hiring all that many lawyers anymore. They want scientific backgrounds, military intelligence experience, computer science and employemnt experience, and critical language speakers. Third, you need at least 3 years of full-time work experience in addition to any degrees.

Try NYPD. As a new hire, if you have a family with kids you can qualify for food stamps.

Seriously, take the bar again.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 2:41:16 PM EDT
Balzac,

Where did you go to law school?

Link Posted: 11/21/2003 3:21:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CHiPS_FAN:
Balzac,

Where did you go to law school?

some small school no one has ever heard of
Top Top