Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 3/17/2010 7:52:44 AM EDT
My FEO contacted me earlier today to inform me that my unicorn has been fully tested by the FSS and has been deemed a section 1 firearm (email info from FSS to Cumbria Constabulary)

D&C police will be sending all section 1 fireams back to SGC who will be returning them to their owners sometime within the next two weeks.

Watch this space
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 7:58:31 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 8:23:31 AM EDT
Yay my variation won't be wasted now.
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 8:44:59 AM EDT
excellent news, my FEO rang me today and says mine needs testing asap (along with all the others at C&G) so I'm waiting to talk to Chris, some light at the end of the tunnel.
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 8:50:57 AM EDT
Congrats on getting yours back Mousegunner (I've been watching with interest). Still not too sure if I'd like to deal with SGC after seeing their less than stirling customer services though.
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 8:51:26 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 10:47:24 AM EDT
A victory for common sense.

Link Posted: 3/17/2010 11:03:47 AM EDT
Good news.

Looks like the police have dealt with this quickly and efficiently, and have come to a reasonable conclusion based on function.

I was thinking.

If Bob had built the gun and then subjected it to testing prior to sale, would it have been approved in the same way? Or would it have been "nipped in the bud" before ever reaching the cusomers?

or

Has Bob adopted a deliberate strategy of selling the guns untested and "unapproved" and in doing so presented the Authorities with a situation where big sums of money are involved and therefore increased the leverage (no pun intended) on avoiding a knee-jerk, no reaction from those less friendly or accepting of firearm innovation?

What say ye?

Link Posted: 3/17/2010 11:19:22 AM EDT
Hello ! If you don't mind me asking, what is a Unicorn ? And what caliber is it ?
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 12:00:56 PM EDT
It's a 9mm lever release rifle based on the AR15.

After each round is fired; the rifle unloads it self and returns the bolt to the open position. The bolt is closed by a lever where the safety catch would be on a normal AR. By using this method to get around the centre ban; it is possible to have a gallery rifle with a higher rate of fire than a straight pull action
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 12:50:15 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Agent_Funky:
Good news.

Looks like the police have dealt with this quickly and efficiently, and have come to a reasonable conclusion based on function.

I was thinking.

If Bob had built the gun and then subjected it to testing prior to sale, would it have been approved in the same way? Or would it have been "nipped in the bud" before ever reaching the cusomers?

or

Has Bob adopted a deliberate strategy of selling the guns untested and "unapproved" and in doing so presented the Authorities with a situation where big sums of money are involved and therefore increased the leverage (no pun intended) on avoiding a knee-jerk, no reaction from those less friendly or accepting of firearm innovation?

What say ye?

I don't think the fact that some were already in circulation, and individuals had invested, would be an issue for the authorities, as they would not be liable.
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 1:23:47 PM EDT
I suspect it will just make firearms from the SGC stable more likely to be of interest to the authorities. This kind of sharp practice is all about short term gain and long term fail.

I'd always heard that the quality of the kit coming out of SGC was good, but I really wouldn't feel comfortable giving them my money if I felt that they were deliberately or negligently courting controversy in an area as sensitive as firearms.

I suppose I should point out that even prior to this situation I'd already decided to put my money elsewhere for different reasons. In fact, depending on the news I get this week, there might be a few PM's flying around
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 1:33:24 PM EDT
Thank you for the info.
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 2:48:49 PM EDT
I think some of the comments regarding Bob, and his company on this thread are bordering on libellous, and do no one any good.
If the gun control network read this , i,ll bet they are pissing themselves. We are our own worst enemies sometimes.
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 3:18:20 PM EDT
Baldie,

I agree wholeheartedly with your comment. We need to stick together and keep all our sh1t in one sock.

Mat
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 3:32:51 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 3:41:26 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Smudger:
Baldie,

I agree wholeheartedly with your comment. We need to stick together and keep all our sh1t in one sock.

Mat

I'd rather have clean socks..
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 8:17:52 AM EDT
Just had a bit of a brain fart but does this mean that the action as a whole is legit now or does it only cover 9mm's? It'd be interesting to see this in bigger calibres, just a thought ...
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 8:31:48 AM EDT
Originally Posted By baldie:
I think some of the comments regarding Bob, and his company on this thread are bordering on libellous, and do no one any good.
If the gun control network read this , i,ll bet they are pissing themselves. We are our own worst enemies sometimes.

I disgree Dave.

I think that there was a distinct lack on information coming out about what had happened. Lots of people are very interested in new developments of this nature, myself included, but SGC have been notriously secretive about this. I can understand the need for commercial confidentiality but this is an AR15 forum, and developments in AR15s are going to get a lot of interest.

We wanted to know that this rifle was tested and going to be a success. It's an innovative design that steps away from the normal and approved action types and while interest is peaked, so is caution in the absence of relevant information. Everyone here to a man will tell you that if Bob can make a success of this then good on him and we as shooters will back him up. But at no time has there been any confirmation that the gun had been tested, infromation had been left out that left other people including dealers in a difficult position and no-body knew anything about what was going on.

It has come good now, which is a relief all round. But nothing libelous has been said.... only concerns raised that could have been dealt with through better communications between manufacturer and customers.

As for the GCN.......... I would have thought that they would be glad to see shooters taking a responsible approach to ensuring the legality of their activities.

Link Posted: 3/18/2010 8:32:52 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Toasty:
Just had a bit of a brain fart but does this mean that the action as a whole is legit now or does it only cover 9mm's? It'd be interesting to see this in bigger calibres, just a thought ...

Good point - wonder if Bob'll do a .45ACP.
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 8:37:25 AM EDT
Think Bob is going to enjoy his 'concorde moment' and good for him.
Well done.
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 8:44:38 AM EDT
I was in a gun store yesterday talking about the usual stuff "you know what you had guns in the UK" I told them about the Unicorn they pissed themselves laughing that people were getting all excited about a gun with a built in stoppage

I personaly dont see this as a huge step forward for shooting it's more of a gimic like LBR's but each to his own.
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 8:58:48 AM EDT
Originally Posted By mr_purple:
Well done.

Would have been an even bigger "concorde moment" if things had gone a little differently..... but either way I'm glad its worked out for all you guys with Unicorns and for SGC.
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 9:20:44 AM EDT
But at no time has there been any confirmation that the gun had been tested, infromation had been left out that left other people including dealers in a difficult position and no-body knew anything about what was going on.

It has come good now, which is a relief all round. But nothing libelous has been said.... only concerns raised that could have been dealt with through better communications between manufacturer and customers.

This

Link Posted: 3/18/2010 10:20:50 AM EDT

This was always my interest, ie a .223 or even a .308.........................never could see the point of the others, other than personal preferences, which is fair enough.
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 10:22:39 AM EDT

A NFLMS administrator I spoke to ages ago on this gave the opinion that it would be best established as a new type of action, and not limited to a particular calibre.
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 10:25:58 AM EDT

Link Posted: 3/18/2010 10:28:56 AM EDT
Well done.

Would have been an even bigger "concorde moment" if things had gone a little differently..... but either way I'm glad its worked out for all you guys with Unicorns and for SGC.

No guaranty the Unicorn® won't get grounded yet...
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 10:33:49 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 10:34:29 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 10:36:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Bradders:

It would require another unique lower for starters

Would there be no way of making a multi-calibre lower in "lever release"? Sorry if the question seems a little retarded I'm quite ignorant in this sort of thing.

Link Posted: 3/18/2010 10:40:00 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 10:44:41 AM EDT

Well done.

You mean takes off loaded with faults, full of hopes and dreams and then crashes and burns taking everyone with it?

you mean takes off with a minor fault, delivers hopes and dreams , and doesnt crash and burn !
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 10:50:18 AM EDT

Well done.

You mean takes off loaded with faults, full of hopes and dreams and then crashes and burns taking everyone with it?

you mean takes off with a minor fault, delivers hopes and dreams , and doesnt crash and burn !

Well, in the grown ups world, treating your client base like mushrooms is a guarnteed way to ensure they go elsewhere…

Tell FB, I would never put a bent cent his way after this latest performance by him.
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 10:50:53 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 10:52:14 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 10:55:03 AM EDT
Originally Posted By vito113:

Well done.

Well, in the grown ups world, treating your client base like mushrooms is a guarnteed way to ensure they go elsewhere…

Tell FB, I would never put a bent cent his way after this latest performance by him.

Dunno what other owners experience was , but i had several emails keeping me in the loop .
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 10:55:52 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 11:04:41 AM EDT

Dunno what other owners experience was , but i had several emails keeping me in the loop .

Really? You seam to be in the minority, when were they sent and what did they say?

Link Posted: 3/18/2010 11:16:33 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ACR26:

Really? You seam to be in the minority, when were they sent and what did they say?

3 emails stating the events as they occurred. Then liased with my FLM . Gave me enough of the picture.
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 11:20:58 AM EDT

3 emails stating the events as they occurred. Then liased with my FLM . Gave me enough of the picture.

Can you post them I am intrigued

Link Posted: 3/18/2010 11:22:09 AM EDT

Link Posted: 3/18/2010 11:22:34 AM EDT

Is the dummy to take away the bitter taste of humble pie ?

You want some gravy with it ?
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 11:24:01 AM EDT

What humble pie would that be?

Link Posted: 3/18/2010 11:25:45 AM EDT

Cant , not clever enough with a computer, but other owners must have them , cos i think it was from his mailing list.
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 11:27:59 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 11:29:00 AM EDT

Cant , not clever enough with a computer, but other owners must have them , cos i think it was from his mailing list.

Qu'elle surprise…
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 11:30:41 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 11:34:09 AM EDT

Cut and paste them then or we'll all call

Could be B.S. ? But i dont think so ..........................
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 11:49:41 AM EDT

Thats ok, just forward them as a normal e-mail to anyone on here, and they can post them for you.

In fact, you can even use mine: acr26@ar15.com
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 12:03:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/18/2010 12:04:19 PM EDT by Agent_Funky]

What humble pie would that be?

That's what I was thinking Not sure I get you there Dave
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Top Top