Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 2/27/2006 1:29:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/27/2006 3:27:13 PM EDT by JoeWang]
So I'm waiting for the Comcast internet guy now at 5:20 6:30 7:30 for my 2-5 appointment window.

Some days I have no connection to their gateway or DNS, sometimes its just 6 hours or so that I have no connectivity. Some days it is sporadically unavailable for 20 minutes at a time.

I've spoken to Comcast tech support on each continent who have assured me it's my router, my cable modem, my cables, but definately not Comcasts problem. For six hours I've talked to these morons and bought $100 worth of equipment just to escalate the problem.

So today Comcast calls to verify someone is here at 2pm. Then at 3:30. Just in case they could catch you taking a piss. Then at 5 they call again and my brother assures me they were having system network problems for the last couple of weeks, do really need the technician to come out today since my connection is working right now?

They played the same game last year when I had similar problems.

This is it. What a bunch of douchebags. Pretty shitty way to run a business with a 4 year customer. I'm sure they'd be plenty pissed if I didn't feel like paying them.

ETA I live in a 20yr older neighborhood with a 25% turnover per year with around 200 homes. Mostly people whos jobs move them around. I have a new purpose to go greet the new neighbors now. I figure if I can steer half of them away from Comcast that will cost them 25 homes x @$120/yr (phone, internet & cable). My new social project for 2006. Should cost me all of $0 and I may meet/make a few shooters on the way!

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:04:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JoeWang:

This is it. What a bunch of douchebags. Pretty shitty way to run a business with a 4 year customer. I'm sure they'd be plenty pissed if I didn't feel like paying them.

Nah, they would just cut you off and not worry about it. Same for the company i work for. It's sad.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:14:39 PM EDT
Oh yeah, it's never their problem. It could never be a bad cable or connector. They are worthless. It's true, they wouldn't really care if you didn't pay and they cut off your service. I feel the same way. 6 years ago I went to the dish and only last year when my company started to pay for my internet did I switch back to cable. Sometimes I wonder if I should have hung out with the dish, but it's been nice having 3 or 4 TV's connected without the additional costs for receivers.

All the cable companies are awful. My Adelphia went out when the box outside my APT got hit with lightning and it took them a week to come out and fix it. I raised cain and they credited my account.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:10:46 PM EDT
FWIW: I have Comcast. I had the same problems you are having. After several months of pulling my hair out it took a modem replacement to eventually fix the problem. Also, Comcast changed their DNS server addresses so, if you hard coded those in, you might need to change those. I run Linux at home and I have 4 computers all running off of one machine, which acts as a server. I had the DNS addresses hard coded in on all of the machines but the server and it took me a few minutes to figure out that they went and changed them without telling anyone.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:29:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/27/2006 3:31:40 PM EDT by JoeWang]
I had the same IP for 3 years but I always ran dynamic. My IP changed last month. The problems started post-changeover. Still they wanted me to go buy new gear instead of admitting to their problems. ETA new gear did NOT solve the problem it usually is a bigger issue when it is raining/misting outside.

Originally Posted By Nivuahc:
FWIW: I have Comcast. I had the same problems you are having. After several months of pulling my hair out it took a modem replacement to eventually fix the problem. Also, Comcast changed their DNS server addresses so, if you hard coded those in, you might need to change those. I run Linux at home and I have 4 computers all running off of one machine, which acts as a server. I had the DNS addresses hard coded in on all of the machines but the server and it took me a few minutes to figure out that they went and changed them without telling anyone.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:57:40 PM EDT
Got Comcast. They were working on our system for a few months last year and I had similar problems. They would tell me on the phone they were not down and not working on the system. The person they would send out each time told me they were and there was nothing he could do and he had no idea why they would not say they were working on it. Last guy told me they would be through in a week or two after he came out. A week later I have never another problem .
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:04:23 PM EDT
I was thinking of several ways to get the enemy to confess but I cannot get into them here without diviulging my methods (batteries, waterboard) Ooops.=!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:35:49 PM EDT
castor oil and ground jalepeno pepper powder...

My comcast works ok. They did have some interruptions, but I never bother to call them.

Originally Posted By JoeWang:
I was thinking of several ways to get the enemy to confess but I cannot get into them here without diviulging my methods (batteries, waterboard) Ooops.=!

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:42:26 PM EDT
Sounds like it's COMCASTIC!!!

All cable companies suck, but I'm glad they are around, 'cause I like earning a paycheck. Did ya'll know that no cable companies in Atlanta run Scientific-Atlanta Cisco set top boxes/equipment in the Atlanta area?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:35:10 PM EDT
Interesting. I am having the exact same problems with my service as well, and nearly everything has been replaced but the modem.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:13:34 AM EDT
I had the same problems. Turned out it was the return signal that was causing the problems. The return signal only gets used for internet and on demand features. Otherwise it worked fine. Trouble was sporadic as I was told the heat of the day makes the signal weaker, and as the sun goes down the signal gets stronger. Are you having better connectivity at night or during the day?
Top Top