Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/5/2003 11:18:59 AM EDT
Sorry if this has been talked about before.. cuz im asuming it has.  But can someone either give me full details, or point me to a resource that would have full details on what it takes to own full auto in AZ?  I know nothing about the fees, forms, and procedures but would like to know as much as possible.  Any help would be great....the more the merrier....or something like that..
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 12:47:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I just obtained a FA Uzi in AZ.

The first thing you need is PATIENCE. I can't stress that enough because it is a LONG process. I went throught "The Armory" in Scottsdale, AZ. They handled all of the paperwork for the out-of-state transfer and for the BATF approval process. I highly recommend using using a Class III dealer that you are comfortable with because you will be doing a lot of work with them.

The process is outlined here: www.vectorarms.com/instructions/how_to_own.html

How To Own a NFA Weapon
(Machine Guns, etc.)
You can be the first on your block to legally own a machine gun, or other NFA weapon, if you meet these federal requirements:

You must be a U.S. citizen over 21 years of age.
You must live in a state that allows Class 3 weapons (find out here).
You must be clear of any felonies as verified by an F.B.I. background check.
You must submit a fingerprint card and two passport photos, which are kept on file by the BATF.
You must obtain a signature from your local Chief Law Enforcement Officer verifying that you have no felony indictments pending against you, and are mentally stable.
You must pay a one-time federal tax for each NFA weapon or suppressor purchased.  Full auto $200.00.  Short Barreled Rife (SBR) $200.00.  Suppressor $200.00.  Any Other Weapon (AOW) $5.00.
HOW TO OBTAIN A CLASS 3 WEAPON DIRECT FROM US:

Locate a nearby Class 3 dealer in your state of residence, to whom your weapon must be transferred, and from whom you must take possession in person (BATF requirements).   Arrange for the dealer to send us his FFL (Federal Firearms License) and SOT (Class 3 permit).  Class 3 dealers will typically charge a $50-$150 fee for assisting you through this process.

Send us the full payment and we will set aside your weapon with its registered serial number.  We will then complete and submit a BATF Form 3 to transfer the weapon to your local Class 3 dealer.  The Form 3 takes 2-3 weeks to process.

Download and print out a BATF Form 4 from www.titleII.com or obtain one from your Class 3 dealer and fill it out.

Obtain two passport photos.

Visit your local police or sheriff’s headquarters to obtain a fingerprint card and be fingerprinted (this is free—your Class 3 dealer may also have these cards.)  While you are there, leave the Form 4 with the CLEO (Chief Law Enforcement Officer) for him to sign as verification that you have no local crime record or mental instability.

When we receive the approved Form 3 from the BATF, we will forward the firearm to your Class 3 dealer.

When your dealer receives the weapon, you or he will submit to the BATF your Form 4, photos, fingerprints and your $200 check (made out to the BATF).   Approval normally takes ninety days, and includes the background check.  Once your dealer receives the approved Form 4 back from the BATF, you may take possession of your firearm, in person (NFA firearms cannot be shipped to the end user).

Link Posted: 11/5/2003 12:55:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks a million.. thats EXACTLY what i was looking for!
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 1:08:35 PM EDT
[#3]
It's not worth it!
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 1:27:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It's not worth it!

Oh I beg to differ. It is a long and often frustrating process, but the payoff is worth it. I had perma-grin for about week after I shot it the first time. Check it out:

www.members.cox.net/wbarnett12/vectoruzi01.wmv
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 1:36:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Who is the current Chief LEO in AZ that signs off?

Last time I did a transfer it was Corbin the AG.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 1:39:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Pima County Sherrif Clarence Dupnik does.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 1:54:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Who is the current Chief LEO in AZ that signs off?

For the Phoenix area, it's handled by the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office. You drop off the paperwork at the Court building in d/t Phoenix  along with fingerprint cards that they have to do for you ($8.00). They had a checklist to make sure you had submitted everything properly. You drop it off and then it takes about 3-4 weeks.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 11:13:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I agree there.  I got my first NFA from the Armory years and years ago.  It couldn't have gone smoother.  Even for in-state deals I've made I've had transferred to them first.  At the SAR show when I buy I have everything taken to them.  One place to do paperwork, fingerprints, forms, etc.

-luke
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 1:10:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Chandler P.D. did mine!  But there's a new cheif now and I haven't heard if Chandler will continue to do this or not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 9:30:48 PM EDT
[#10]
AzExArms in the East Valley is doing mine right now. It's going very smooth. And he is only charging me $50 for the Form 3 and Form 4 for my suppressors. It might be a different charge for a machinegun.... Sheriff Vanderpool in Pinal County signs all the forms (provided you pass the background they do on you). He's very pro-2nd Amendment....

FYI: Walgreens does passport pics for $8/2
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 6:21:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I've heard that Yavapai County won't sign on SBS's.  Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I have NO idea if it's true or not.

Thanks,

Mike
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 6:03:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Best way to own Class III stuff is to have a corporation.

No  fingerprints. What would you fingerprint?

No LE sign off. Corporations can't have criminal records.

Paperwork goes though BATF MUCH faster as nothing has to go over to FBI for background check.

If you and your buddies put your Class III stuff in the corp, you can borrow each other's stuff without the "owner" having to come along.

Luck,

SD
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 11:14:25 PM EDT
[#13]
anyone looked into the law regarding an LLC in AZ  instead of a full-blown corp?

Link Posted: 11/13/2003 5:52:33 PM EDT
[#14]
anyone looked into the law regarding an LLC in AZ instead of a full-blown corp?

Inasmuch as AZ LLC legislation provides for the same tort protection; requires the same basic filing and disclosure proceedures with the Corporation Commission; and the IRS will, with the proper elections, treat an LLC exaclty like a corporation; it seems like it should work.

Luck,

SD
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 6:05:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Holy Mother of Jesus!

Did the 9th Circuit just rule today what I think they did?

Get ready to start drilling sear holes!
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 8:18:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Holy Mother of Jesus!

Holy Buckets!

caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data2/circs/9th/0210318p.pdf
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 8:24:04 PM EDT
[#17]
umm....  in hopes that im not sounding like a total dumbass....   can i get a translation of that document?
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 3:24:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Hmmm..........if this stands the value of machine guns just fell off dramatically. Luckily, I sold mine a few years back.

Tonight I'm gonna party like it's 1985!
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 6:52:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, give us the straight poop instead of legal mumbo jumbo...
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 5:34:19 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Holy Mother of Jesus!

Holy Buckets!

caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data2/circs/9th/0210318p.pdf

OK, now my brain just hurts.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 10:58:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Yeah, give us the straight poop instead of legal mumbo jumbo...

pretty much if it stands we can make MGs agien.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 6:41:12 AM EDT
[#22]
as in.... we can take our semi-autos and make em full auto??
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 7:08:08 AM EDT
[#23]
At first glance is does appear that you can send in a Form 1 and once approved make a new machine gun from a semi. It also sounds like once the mg is manufactured it cannot cross state lines ever.

There are a bunch of unknowns here but it could be really good news. If you are thinking about making an expensive full-auto purchase you should wait and see how this plays out.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 7:11:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Understood that there are many unknowns.... but if this does stick... would i have to do the mod myself, or could i take it to a smith here in AZ and have him do it for me?  again i understand taht this may not be known yet..but its the first question that comes to mind.  As for not crossing state lines... its a bummer, but not that huge of a deal.  If ya move, sell it in state and then do it again in whatever state you move to.  Ya just couldnt take it on any trips with ya.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 10:43:07 AM EDT
[#25]
The new CLEO in Chandler will sign.  I just had him sign last week.  Takes about 3 days!

I also know of a great Class 3 guy in Tempe who will do the transfer.  He also offers CCW classes if you need one.  Email me and I'll give you his name.  He does a lot of work with the local FALFile guys.

azski
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 10:51:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Here's a short clip of my first class 3, a select-fire Smith Enterprise M14!

20 rounds full-auto

Alos, here's some Tannerite going off at the Casa Grande range:

gotta love that TANNERITE

azski
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top