Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/8/2005 2:25:42 PM EDT
Hey just got told I'm on assignment to Ft. Eustis coming out of Iraq. It's been about 5 years since I've been in the area and I need some help. My wife is currently attending UNC Pembroke majoring in elementary education. I need reccomendations on a good PUBLIC (they don't pay me neough for private) school in the area that has a good program for her. It looks like William and Mary is good but I always thought they were private. Also any help on where to look for a house for rent would be appreciated, and where to stay away from. Oh yeah and I guess it's time to start looking for a new range and gun store. Any help you can give will be appreciated but especially school info.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:02:33 PM EDT
William & Mary is indeed public. I go there and live in Williamsburg.

Lafayette Gun Club is very very close to Ft Eustis.
http://www.4lgc.org/

There are a couple other gun shops and pawn shops in Hampton/Newport News.
Superior Pawn & Gun on Mercury east of the Hampton Coliseum comes to mind.
There is one in Williamsburg that a fellow named George runs out of his garage, he's got class III.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:39:51 PM EDT
CA2VAyay,
At LGC can you draw and fire, are you allowed to shoot on the move, engage mutiple targets? The range I last used stateside was designed for the tactical shooter and I'm looking to find something like that even if it's a gravel pit, as long as it's legal. If you don't mind my asking what's tution for a William and Mary student? Any idea how bad my commute is gonna be form Williamsburg to Eustis? Thanks for the info you've given so far.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:10:08 AM EDT
Thanks for your service!
I just sent in my application to LGC, so I'm not a member yet. I probably wont be for another 6-8 weeks, since they have to give new members some kind of training and rules session that they only give every couple months.
I don't know about move and shoot. The pistol range is indoor and has medium sized lanes and one target holder per lane. It's 24 hours tho, I imagine you could find a time with no one else in there.
The rifle range is only open when a RO is there, but pistol is 24/7.

Theres a forest service range northwest of W'burg somewhere, but I havnt been there yet. I dont know what kind of rules they have, but I get the feeling theres not much supervision out there.

Out of state tuition (for law) is about $25k, instate is ~15. Drive from W'burg to Ft Eustis is about 20-25 minutes. From Newport News a bit less.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 2:40:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/10/2005 2:41:15 PM EDT by charliehorse]
LGC is a stationary range in that they don't have combat or transition lanes. they do have high power and smallbore matches monthly. thay have 25,50 and 100 meter outside and 25 indoor for pistol. It's probably one of the better ranges close by. whats your MOS
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 8:29:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By woodrow1976:
Hey just got told I'm on assignment to Ft. Eustis coming out of Iraq. It's been about 5 years since I've been in the area and I need some help. My wife is currently attending UNC Pembroke majoring in elementary education. I need reccomendations on a good PUBLIC (they don't pay me neough for private) school in the area that has a good program for her. It looks like William and Mary is good but I always thought they were private. Also any help on where to look for a house for rent would be appreciated, and where to stay away from. Oh yeah and I guess it's time to start looking for a new range and gun store. Any help you can give will be appreciated but especially school info.

My wife has an elementary education degree from Christopher Newport University <www.cnu.edu/> in Newport News.

I'm familiar with Ft. Eustis, and am a member of Lafayette Gun Club.

There's Virginia Gun & Sports Supply (731 J Clyde Morris Blvd, Newport News, VA 23601, 757-873-4867).

Feel free to shoot me an e-mail if you have any questions for me.

Mark
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:13:54 AM EDT
Hey guys thanks for the reply's.

charliehorse, I'm a 15R (Apache Mechanic). Do you know of any ranges in the are that will allow transition, presentation, and some movement?

DrMark,
That was one of the schools she was looking at. I know William & Mary is on the short list I'm gonna shoot you an email to ask for some more info.

All,
Can anyone verify whether or not Virginia will let a Dependent of Active Duty go to school at the "in-state" rate nor is she gonna be stuck paying Non-Resident? We are currently Residents of Texas but she is going to school in NC at the in-state rate.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:05:16 PM EDT
I am a dependent of an active duty military member (who recently finished a BS in nursing here) and the scoop on school rates in VA is that as of July last year dependents of active duty members are allowed to attend state schools at the instate tuition rate. Your wife MUST enroll in classes within the first calender year after getting stationed here. If you wait until the 366th day she will have to pay out of state rates. Many of the schools do not readily reveal this info to military family members, so it helps to go to the family service center and get a copy of the law (I got a copy at Ft Eustis, even though we are a Navy family). Good luck and drop me a line if you have any other questions.

Tom
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:57:44 PM EDT
Thook,
Thanks. You lifted a hell of a load off of me. First Beers on me when I get there.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:10:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/14/2005 8:48:56 AM EDT by Bladerunner]

Originally Posted By woodrow1976:
Hey guys thanks for the reply's.

charliehorse, I'm a 15R (Apache Mechanic). Do you know of any ranges in the are that will allow transition, presentation, and some movement?

DrMark,
That was one of the schools she was looking at. I know William & Mary is on the short list I'm gonna shoot you an email to ask for some more info.

All,
Can anyone verify whether or not Virginia will let a Dependent of Active Duty go to school at the "in-state" rate nor is she gonna be stuck paying Non-Resident? We are currently Residents of Texas but she is going to school in NC at the in-state rate.

Woodrow

I am active duty military and spent my previous assignment working at USJFCOM in Norfolk. I know Ft Eustis is a little bit of a distance from the "southside", but there are some options you might think worth the drive.

1. The USMC Exchange (PX) and MWR has a 25 meter indoor range facility on Norfolk Naval Base. It allows you to shoot from the draw and I believe they would allow transition drills. However, I have never tried the latter. The range wouldn't be able to support any movement unless it was very structured and part of a organized unit activity. They allow you to fire both pistol, rifles (not sure about calber limitations, ie 7.62), and shotguns. The USMC units and the USN Master at Arms types even fire M249's in the indoor range. If interested I or someone else on this board can supply you with directions and a number. It's actually not far from Eustis and is not too far off I-64.

2. You can try the range at Pungo. This will be quite a drive for you, but well worth making a day out of it. This is a very nice outdoor facility. I have provided a link below that points to a recent discussion of a Pungo Range get together. It has a pretty good description by VA Dinger about improvements at the facility.

Pungo Range Information

3. There is a pretty active IDPA Club "Blackwter Practical Shooters". The club actually meets in Virginia Beach, but they use the Blackwater USA training facility ranges. Blackwater will exceed your wildest dreams regarding a state of the art training facility. Blackwater is normally closed to the public, but it supports this club. Blackwater is in Moyock, NC and would be about 1 1/2 hours for you to drive. However, if you are really interested in participating, again this would be a great weekend outing for you. I have provided a link to their website.

Blackwater Practical Shooters

I honestly don't know much about what's available on the "north side" of the tunnel. Hopefully, this post has been helpful.

BTW, I will be retiring from the Army this winter, reporting to the Ft Eustis transition point on 5 October. I enjoyed my assignment to Norfolk, so much I bought a house there and plan on making that my post-retirement home. I think you will really like the area.

Top Top