Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 11/3/2003 5:24:18 PM EDT
Can you be stopped and fined for not having a front plate? Or only when your speeding as a primary offense, then your busted for both offenses?
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 5:55:52 PM EDT
[#1]
In ohio you have to have a front plate. I dont have one. The police station is in my neighborhood. I act like 60 year old man thats lots his sex drive in a supercharged mustang (following traffic laws to a T) and I dont have any problems. I expect they could pull me over any time they wanted and give me a ticket....I wouldnt compain any if they did
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 6:45:34 PM EDT
[#2]
As a LEO once told a friend of mine at a traffic stop, "The state gives you two license plates.  Display both of them."
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 12:55:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, it's required, and yes, they can stop you.  The citation would be called "Failure to Display."  I'd cite line and verse from the ORC, but I'm just too lazy right now.  
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 11:03:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes a front plate is required. Got a warning ticket for this once. Had it on the dash.

Heard within the past year there was a bill in the legislature to change that. Don't know what happened to it.

Link Posted: 11/4/2003 12:47:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Yes a front plate is required. Got a warning ticket for this once. Had it on the dash.

Heard within the past year there was a bill in the legislature to change that. Don't know what happened to it.

I think I heard something to that effect last year, something about saving X amount of dollars per year if we went to one plate vice two.

Hessian-1
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 7:43:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think I heard something to that effect last year, something about saving X amount of dollars per year if we went to one plate vice two.

Hessian-1

Yeah, they'd save $$$ on the extra plate, but what about the lost ticket revenue?
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 4:10:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I got a ticket about 10 years ago for 'Failure to Display'.  It is not a moving violation, and is not any points on your license.

I do not run a front plate on my car right now.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 4:27:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 4:28:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 1:14:59 PM EDT
[#10]
We just got a LEADS update about plates.  Apparently, Ohio is going to switch to a flat plate design (printed on media, ala the new Indiana plates) as opposed to being stamped in presses.  Although nothing is official yet, part of this change has been rumored to include eliminating the front plate.

Although this is being marketed as a money/time saving device, I really don't expect to see a decrease in plate fees.  In fact, we will most likely see an INCREASE!

BTW, I once went on a tour of Lebanon Correctional Institute, where all the plates for the state are produced using inmate labor.  They use really old presses and have to hand change the letter/number dies for each plate.  I wonder how those inmates are going to earn smoke money once they go to digital high speed printing.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 3:40:16 PM EDT
[#11]
A co-worker picked up an out of state Lincoln without the front bracket ever installed.
She was cited and paid a stiff fine, even after explaining she was bewildered as to how to fasten the front plate on.
My daughter's Jeep may have had the front bumper changed, again no bracket.
I finally drilled/screwed it to the plastic bumper for her.
Like burned out lights, I like giving the police less "reason" to pull you over.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 7:31:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
A co-worker picked up an out of state Lincoln without the front bracket ever installed.
She was cited and paid a stiff fine, even after explaining she was bewildered as to how to fasten the front plate on.
My daughter's Jeep may have had the front bumper changed, again no bracket.
I finally drilled/screwed it to the plastic bumper for her.
Like burned out lights, I like giving the police less "reason" to pull you over.

Dealerships are required to provide the front brackets, free of charge, as I recall.

Link Posted: 11/5/2003 7:37:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Although this is being marketed as a money/time saving device, I really don't expect to see a decrease in plate fees.  In fact, we will most likely see an INCREASE!

BTW, I once went on a tour of Lebanon Correctional Institute, where all the plates for the state are produced using inmate labor.  They use really old presses and have to hand change the letter/number dies for each plate.  I wonder how those inmates are going to earn smoke money once they go to digital high speed printing.

That figures.

I'm surprised that the ACLU or some other lefty-whacko group hasn't made us stop using inmate labor.

Just think of the irrepairable psychological damage we are doing to them.

We can't expect them to grasp the concept of WORKING to earn a buck, when it's so easy to STEAL.

Poor abused bastards.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 10:03:29 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hessian-1

Yeah, they'd save $$$ on the extra plate, but what about the lost ticket revenue?

Only 1% of our budget comes from ticket revenue, I guess I need to write more cites huh?  I passed out over 500 warnings this season, mostly for VERY minor stuff....  Well I guess since perception is reality, I need to write a few more tickets to make up for all that perceived revenue....
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 11:48:05 AM EDT
[#15]
When I lived in Ohio I never understood us having two, and IIRC, all the states surrounding us had one...

But there again, they all have CCW too IIRC...

Link Posted: 11/11/2003 12:02:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
When I lived in Ohio I never understood us having two, and IIRC, all the states surrounding us had one...

Yeah, since it only means the plate can be read from either direction. Not like being able to read plates as vehicles come at yeah can lead to recovered OCCUPIED stolen vehicles is it? Or makes it easier for victims of hit and run crashes, or witnessed crimes to ID the suspect vehicle from the front is it?

All cars have provisions for front plate brackets. In places that don't requires them they aren't installed. Car makers design them to give a "clean" look on a car without a bracket installed. Sometimes they are very clever at designiing the "clean look" for 1 plate states, while have a method for installing a front plate bracket when needed in the 2 plate states.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 8:19:43 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, since it only means the plate can be read from either direction. Not like being able to read plates as vehicles come at yeah can lead to recovered OCCUPIED stolen vehicles is it? Or makes it easier for victims of hit and run crashes, or witnessed crimes to ID the suspect vehicle from the front is it?

Yeah, that's great.

www.kressworks.com/Resources/article_repository/Grand%20jury%20wont%20indict%20FBI%20agent%20in%20shooting.htm

Grand jury won't indict FBI agent in shooting Pasadena man, 20, shot in face in case of mistaken identity
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Ben Pillow
SunSpot staff
Originally published July 2, 2002, 4:01 PM EDT

A grand jury investigating the mistaken shooting of an unarmed Pasadena man earlier this year decided today not to indict the FBI agent who pulled the trigger.

The decision means FBI Special Agent Christopher Braga won't face criminal charges in the March 1 shooting of Joseph Charles Schultz as the 20-year-old and his girlfriend returned from a shopping outing.

Schultz's lawyer, however, said he expects to file a civil lawsuit in the case "in a few weeks."

Schultz and Krissy Harkum, 16, of Pasadena were two of the first witnesses to testify before the Anne Arundel County grand jury June 25. FBI agents, including Braga, and Anne Arundel County police also testified before the 23-member panel over the past week.

Jurors deliberated 20 minutes before returning their decision, the Anne Arundel County state's attorney's office said. Grand jury decisions, which are made in secret, require agreement by a simple majority.

The FBI has admitted that Braga mistook Schultz for a bank robbery suspect the agent and his unit were searching for that day. Schultz was shot in the face with an M-4 rifle, shattering his right jaw. After spending several weeks at Maryland Shock Trauma Center in Baltimore, Schultz returned home to begin a recovery expected to involve a series of reconstructive surgeries.

Schultz had nothing to do with the Feb. 20 bank robbery, and suspect Michael J. Blottenberger Jr. was arrested two days after the mistaken shooting. The FBI has apologized for the error.

The FBI and Anne Arundel County police investigated the shooting, and both organizations forwarded inches-thick reports, which have not been made public, to the Anne Arundel County state's attorney's office.

State's Attorney Frank R. Weathersbee, who is seeking re-election, decided to present the case to the grand jury after a review of those reports left important questions unanswered, according to his office. And since Braga also refused to give a statement to investigators, the grand jury became "the most prudent course of action," according to Kristin Riggin, spokeswoman for the Anne Arundel County state's attorney's office.

"The grand jury was used as an investigative tool," she said.

Besides indicting Braga, the grand jury also could have asked for further investigation.

Weathersbee said the decision, while not holding Braga criminally liable, "does not in any way excuse or justify what has occurred here."

"Investigation by both the Anne Arundel County police as well as the FBI has revealed serious breakdowns in planning, supervision and communication, which contributed to this incident," Weathersbee said. "... The grand jury's decision does not foreclose the pursuit of civil remedies aggrieved parties may have.

"Indeed, the prompt resolution of potential criminal charges will allow the victims to get on with their civil redress."

Schultz's lawyer, Arnold M. Weiner, welcomed that chance.

"We're pleased that the Anne Arundel County state's attorney and the grand jury has completed this phase of the process, which allows us to move forward with a civil case against Mr. Braga and any other person responsible for the shooting of an innocent man," Weiner said.

His office will review Anne Arundel County's investigative report before "vigorously" pursuing civil action, he said.

"Hopefully, a jury will compensate Mr. Schultz for what he went through and reach a decision that discourages this type of action," Weiner said.

Agents began following Schultz after he walked out of a convenience store in Glen Burnie where the agents were expecting Blottenberger to meet a co-worker. Schultz was wearing a baseball cap similar to one often worn by Blottenberger and got into a red Pontiac Grand Am, which resembled a red Honda Civic that an FBI informant had told police Blottenberger would be riding in.

Lawyers for Schultz and Harkum, who was driving the car that day after a trip to Marley Station mall in Glen Burnie, have maintained that Schultz was trying to follow the agents' orders to get out of the car when he was shot on the side of Fort Smallwood Road.

After the shooting, Braga, a member of a SWAT unit, was reassigned to a squad that does not deal with violent crime. He later requested and was granted paid administrative leave from the new squad, but has since returned to that duty.

Braga was also one of three law enforcement officers involved in the February 2000 death of fugitive Donald Lee Thompson Jr., who was wanted in a West Virginia killing. That shooting at a Prince George's County apartment was ruled justifiable by the U.S. Justice Department, according to the FBI.

These 'professionals' couldn't tell the difference between a Grand-Am and a Civic.

Do you suppose that they could have read the front plate correctly? [:\]
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 11:58:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, that's great.

These 'professionals' couldn't tell the difference between a Grand-Am and a Civic.

Do you suppose that they could have read the front plate correctly? [:\]

You know sometimes when people ask a question, or make an observation on a matter, or incident, they are soliciting other points of view. Apparently in taking time to opine why front plates can be useful, you felt a useful response was to insult me about something that I had nothing to do with, and think is a crime.

Link Posted: 11/12/2003 5:44:20 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Apparently in taking time to opine why front plates can be useful, you felt a useful response was to insult me about something that I had nothing to do with, and think is a crime.

Please explain how I insulted you.

Do you consider yourself a JBT, like that 'agent'?
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 10:37:05 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Apparently in taking time to opine why front plates can be useful, you felt a useful response was to insult me about something that I had nothing to do with, and think is a crime.

Do you consider yourself a freedom loving American?

Like Timothy McVeigh?

Do you like that broad brush?

Or the child like put down?

Well it's exactly what you did. Your Braga reference had nothing to do with this, other than the fact that you wanted to be an ass.

Since 1 FBI Agent in one incident did something criminal, all cops must be the same right? That's prett scary thinking. Especially when you want cops NOT to use the same thinking. Even though police regularly arrest "civilians" for crimes. Think if the same standard was applied.

And I'm also sure in a few days, hours, or minutes, you'll be complaining about "them v us". Just before you hit submit, think back to this post and remember who perputrated it here.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 12:33:47 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you consider yourself a freedom loving American?

Like Timothy McVeigh?

Do you like that broad brush?

Or the child like put down?

Well it's exactly what you did. Your Braga reference had nothing to do with this, other than the fact that you wanted to be an ass.

Since 1 FBI Agent in one incident did something criminal, all cops must be the same right? That's prett scary thinking. Especially when you want cops NOT to use the same thinking. Even though police regularly arrest "civilians" for crimes. Think if the same standard was applied.

And I'm also sure in a few days, hours, or minutes, you'll be complaining about "them v us". Just before you hit submit, think back to this post and remember who perputrated it here.

Oly - As usual, you dodged the question.
How exactly did I insult you?
I'm not making generalizations about you, nor have I called you names, yet you feel compelled to attack me.

If you truly feel that the FBI agent comitted a crime and should be prosecuted (instead of hiding behind the 'blue wall'), then we actually agree on that subject.
Many of your brethern feel differently.

I respectfully disagree with your contention that front-mounted license plates are valid crime fighting tools.

The Braga reference points to the fact that if these 'trained professionals' can't even properly identify the make and model of a vehicle, it's not likely that they would be able to ID a vehicle using the front plate.  As a matter of fact, I think that it is difficult at best for anyone to accurately read the front plate, especially assuming that both vehicles are likey moving.

Your argument on hit-and-run victims is questionable as well. I think that the victim would most likely be looking at the other vehicle from the rear, as it drives away. Unless, of course, the other party is making their getaway in REVERSE.

US vs Them?  

Please!

Link Posted: 11/12/2003 12:53:01 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Oly - As usual, you dodged the question.
How exactly did I insult you?
I'm not making generalizations about you, nor have I called you names, yet you feel compelled to attack me.

If you truly feel that the FBI agent comitted a crime and should be prosecuted (instead of hiding behind the 'blue wall'), then we actually agree on that subject.
Many of your brethern feel differently.

I respectfully disagree with your contention that front-mounted license plates are valid crime fighting tools.

The Braga reference points to the fact that if these 'trained professionals' can't even properly identify the make and model of a vehicle, it's not likely that they would be able to ID a vehicle using the front plate.  As a matter of fact, I think that it is difficult at best for anyone to accurately read the front plate, especially assuming that both vehicles are likey moving.

Your argument on hit-and-run victims is questionable as well. I think that the victim would most likely be looking at the other vehicle from the rear, as it drives away. Unless, of course, the other party is making their getaway in REVERSE.

US vs Them?  

Please!

I can't explain basic common sense to you or anyone else.

1 I listed reasons that a front plate can be useful. And I have recovered occupied stolen vehicles, while driving the opposite direction on 55 mph zoned roads, and read the plate on the oncoming vehicle. I listed some other situations as well.

You quoted me, and used the Braga incident as most of your response.

WTF DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH FRONT LISENSE PLATES? It doesn't have anything to do with them does it? "follow the red car" is realted to front plates, or any plates for that matter.

If you don't understand what a complete A$#^&^)( you were by interjecting that incident, into what prior to you posting that &)%), had been a civil discussion then you than you are an ()&)(_ and nothing I can say will change that or make you understand that.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 3:19:56 PM EDT
[#23]
More personal attacks.   I guess that when the facts aren't on your side, you have to resort to S.W.A.T. guerilla tactics.

Once again you have failed to show how I insulted you.
The only way my post could be taken as a personal insult is if you are as ignorant and incompetent as the FBI thug.
I don't think that's the case, at least I hope not.

Oh, by the way, the word is L I C E N S E.
I guess that they don't teach spelling at the Po-lice Academy.

ETA - Yes, with that last comment, I just sunk to your level.

Link Posted: 11/12/2003 5:34:05 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
More personal attacks.  I guess that when the facts aren't on your side, you have to resort to S.W.A.T. guerilla tactics.

Once again you have failed to show how I insulted you. The only way my post could be taken as a personal insult is if you are as ignorant and incompetent as the FBI thug.
I don't think that's the case, at least I hope not.

Oh, by the way, the word is L I C E N S E.
I guess that they don't teach spelling at the Po-lice Academy.

Oh really look who is complaining about personal attacks.

Tim McVeigh was caught for non-registration FYI.

You know, your tactics are like a turd throwing monkey. Funny to watch, but really don't accomplish a lot. You added nothing to the discussion, except divisiveness.

Go wash your hands.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 5:14:36 AM EDT
[#25]

The front plate is also used as the "best" target for the laser to get a return from.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 6:41:57 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

The front plate is also used as the "best" target for the laser to get a return from.

EXACTLY!

This is what I belive is the overriding reason for the resistance to moving to a single plate.  With that socialist disguised as a replublican "governor" of ours constantly whining about needing cash I would think going to a single plate would be a "no-brainer".  (Especially with the aforementioned "1% of revenue being derived from tickets").
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 7:18:27 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

One plate or two? Since you quote this, according to a list I found, OK is a 'one plate state'.

Its funny how when you go draw this pic of why my logic is off, you dont like it when it happens to you. You were not insulted. Also, you had more than one spelling error, which when coming in on a high horse, it may be useful to insure dont exist.

Lastly, I am from Ohio, exactly what is your connection?

Link Posted: 11/15/2003 8:18:18 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

One plate or two? Since you quote this, according to a list I found, OK is a 'one plate state'.

I found that too, but there's no use arguing with someone merely 'trolling'.

Its funny how when you go draw this pic of why my logic is off, you dont like it when it happens to you. You were not insulted. Also, you had more than one spelling error, which when coming in on a high horse, it may be useful to insure dont exist.

ARFCOM doesn't have a hometown board for s, so he's squatting over here.

If we all stop feeding him, he'll go away.

Link Posted: 11/15/2003 5:20:19 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've driven through Ohio, do so fairly regularly, and I do it SLOWLY...........we all know why .

I can spell.

It's typing that kicks my ass.

Some day I will post "dumb ass civilains........." I am willing to be the same people that say JBT is only addressed to people who fit that description, will be posting within seconds with thier panties in a knot.

His post about Braga, wasn't topical, wasn't meant to further the discussion, it was meant to minimize my post and my opinion.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 10:22:27 PM EDT
[#30]
This post has gone way off topic, reason I posted this originally was that I prefer one plate because it looks better on my Audi and without the ugly front bracket, that's it and nothing else, don't try to read between the lines, because there isn't any!
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 3:21:16 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I found that too, but there's no use arguing with someone merely 'trolling'.

Responded...ignored.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 10:56:31 AM EDT
[#32]
My wife and I both have been stopped and ticketed.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top