Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/27/2005 11:50:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/1/2005 1:05:39 PM EDT by -RotorDemon-]
Edited until I find out more info.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 4:41:15 AM EDT
Rotor,

Are those issued? Just curious if they are legal (and how) or stolen from Uncle Sam?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 5:03:09 AM EDT
Ya dude.........I wouldn't go around advertising where they came from....... (even though it's neat!)
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:20:40 AM EDT
Cool. I have some surplus ones that look exactly the same, although they are older from Adventure Line.

And no, the US Military does not use SS109. They use the higher powered M855. Basically the same damn thing, except for a different powder charge.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:55:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/28/2005 7:57:56 AM EDT by -RotorDemon-]

Originally Posted By Jim_Linch:
Rotor,

Are those issued? Just curious if they are legal (and how) or stolen from Uncle Sam?

How can I tell? Can they be un-issued/scrap? I don't want them if they can't. MFG dates are between (quick look before work) 1991-1998
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 12:56:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/1/2005 12:57:43 PM EDT by -RotorDemon-]
A note on legalities for U.S. readers:
The magazine ban passed in September, 1994 bans only the importation and sale of high capacity magazines that were made after Sept. 13, 1994. To law enforcement officers conducting searches and arrests, an unmarked magazine is generally presumed to be "pre-ban." Magazines marked with dates after Sept. 13, 1994 are considered "post ban." Such magazines may only be possessed by law enforcement officers and the military. However, FFL holder may also purchase them for inventory for the purpose of resale to "qualified buyers" (read: Law enforcemnt officers). Private possession of post ban magazines is a felony. BTW, if you own a "post ban" firearm manufactured after the Sept. 13, 1994 ban, it is PERFECTLY LEGAL to own and use *pre-ban* high capacity magazines in it.

So if I understand this correctly, Anything DURING/AFTER 1994 Military/LE marked I cannot legally own? Before 1994 I can own is this correct?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:09:52 PM EDT
That went out the window when the "ban" expired last September........as of now you can own anything made after '94.
That's not what the issue was, it's how they were "aquired"........
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 1:21:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/1/2005 1:22:55 PM EDT by -RotorDemon-]
I just called my friend and asked how he aquired them, and was told they were "deemed" scrap, and were going to be crushed, so he took his pick of the lot that was there.

Ok well theres a load off of my chest, alot of them are very worn out, theres a few good ones in the group (in my eyes).

Thanks for clearing that up Unka-boo.

Edit: I guess it's time to clean them. prep them and refinish them. I'll just throw the junk ones away.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:48:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/1/2005 3:50:10 PM EDT by Q-Man]

Originally Posted By NoAim:
And no, the US Military does not use SS109. They use the higher powered M855. Basically the same damn thing, except for a different powder charge.

I believe SS109 is the 62 grain bullet with the steel penetrator in the tip. The SS109 designation applies only to the bullet.

M855 is the loaded round with the SS109 bullet. The M855 designation refers to a loaded round that meets the M855 specifications, one of which is it is loaded with the SS109 bullet. The other specifications would be certain velocity/pressure, crimped primer, sealed bullet/primer, etc.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:40:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By -RotorDemon-:
A note on legalities for U.S. readers:
The magazine ban passed in September, 1994 bans only the importation and sale of high capacity magazines that were made after Sept. 13, 1994. To law enforcement officers conducting searches and arrests, an unmarked magazine is generally presumed to be "pre-ban." Magazines marked with dates after Sept. 13, 1994 are considered "post ban." Such magazines may only be possessed by law enforcement officers and the military. However, FFL holder may also purchase them for inventory for the purpose of resale to "qualified buyers" (read: Law enforcemnt officers). Private possession of post ban magazines is a felony. BTW, if you own a "post ban" firearm manufactured after the Sept. 13, 1994 ban, it is PERFECTLY LEGAL to own and use *pre-ban* high capacity magazines in it.

So if I understand this correctly, Anything DURING/AFTER 1994 Military/LE marked I cannot legally own? Before 1994 I can own is this correct?

Wrong!

The ban was ten years long and is now expired. The "LE Only" marked magazines and rifles are now highly sought collector items, at least by me.

If they ever pass another ban they will have to have different markings. Maybe something like, "LE Only - and this time we really really mean it," will suffice.

Some state, like kalifornia, have their own state bans, so you can't own LE marked mags there.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:09:05 PM EDT
Yup. Oregon does not have a magazine man. As a result, I think every one of my 13 round "hi-cap" USP mags are marked "Government/Law Enforcement Only - 10/94". These are now LEGAL for civilian ownership if your state allows it (exceptions being California, NY, etc.)

And for surplus mags, they are also legal. I have a bunch of 20's and 30's that were acquired this way.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:14:18 PM EDT
Cool deal.. Jim had me going for a bit, I knew my friend wouldn't give me some hot mags. I guess I was confused at the fact that they were LE marked when I know you can own LE marked AR lowers, etc. Just wasnt sure on the mag parts.
Top Top