Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2004 5:10:55 PM EDT
Hi everyone,

I am looking for a place that is near Philadelphia to sight in/practice with my rifles and pistols. I usually go to the South Philly Archery and Gun shop or TargetMasters, but want to be able to practice at longer ranges between 50-100 yards and above.

I've read and gathered some information about French Creek and Nockamixon but want your opinions on these places. I like that it is FREE and outdoors. I read about the 3 round limit in the mags and that doesn't bother me. I'll be using my Yugo SKS and Bushmaster and maybe pistols.

Tell me about your experiences. What was it like on a weekend or weekday?. Also, if anyone can post directions from Philadelphia to either place, that would be great.

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:14:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you have $20.00 to your name?  If so, stay away from Nockamixon State Park.  Last time I went there I saw someone looking at me while I was hang my target.  What's wrong with that you say  Well he was looking at me through his scope!  Go to Water and Wings just down the road, cough up $20.00 and shoot with good people.  Also, NSP has a three round limit and it's enforced!  Who needs that hassle?

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:40:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't mind the 3 round limit. What did the range officer do when he saw that person aiming at you? If they enforce that 3 round rule then don't they enforce a cease fire rule?

How far is water n wings and Nockamixon from philly? $20 is okay but not great considering the fact that gas/toll/wear & tear on car is an added cost.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:54:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I don't mind the 3 round limit. What did the range officer do when he saw that person aiming at you? If they enforce that 3 round rule then don't they enforce a cease fire rule?

How far is water n wings and Nockamixon from philly? $20 is okay but not great considering the fact that gas/toll/wear & tear on car is an added cost.

That's the problem.  There is no range officer at Nockamixon.  Just an informal "cease fire".
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:15:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd stay away from all the state ranges. No range officer and unsavory characters to say the least.

I used to go to the French Creek state range till they made it 3 rounds only. Not worth the trouble. Best to join a decent club. Might cost you more but makes up for it by having better facilities.

Try Delaware County Field & Stream. They have a guest day pass if your not interested in joining. A lot closer.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:19:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Does Del Co Field and Stream require you to purchase their ammo or can we bring our own? How much is the guest day pass and what are the days we can go?
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:41:21 AM EDT
[#6]
oh there is a range officer  at NSP  but  not  full time  he  shows  up severla times a day   to check on the    "no rapid fire" and  3 round limit  crap
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:30:17 AM EDT
[#7]
You can bring your own factory or reloads at DCF&S. I think that the day pass is $7.00.

www.dcfs.org/
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:01:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Water and Wings is 15 minutes from Nockamixon. Stay far away from Nockamixon it's nothing but trouble. Water and wings has rifle ranges out to 500 yds, a pistol range and a 15 station shotgun course. The benches are covered and there's almost always a open bench. They have no caliber limit and a couple guys bring their .50, cal's just no tracers and no full autos. They are open Wed - Sun 9am to 6pm. They sell 100yd site-in targets so make sure you bring targets, staple gun,ammo,etc. they also sell hotdogs,snacks,water and soda. I think the place is worth every penny for what you get. Also every 4th trip is free. Stop by this Sunday and check it out. Several of us will be there.www.waterandwings.com
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 12:02:09 PM EDT
[#9]
He's not a range officer, he's a game warden / park ranger. There is no consistent range officer at NSP. It isn't terribly bad during the week but I still wouldn't go without a friend that you can have either sit at the benches while you change targets or vice-versa.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 1:07:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:21:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I use nockamixon...I like to go early Saturday moring.

I don't lke to leave my rifle on the bench when I set up my targets and someone gave me a hard time about it when I carried it slung over my shoulder to the targets.

I asked him if he would buy me a new AR if someone stole it....It was slung, no mag in the well and the carrier locked back.

He had an AR too....Maybe it is one of the Pa posters....
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:00:23 PM EDT
[#12]
You won't like the ticket Officer Papson will give you if he shows up while you're downrange with it on your back.

It wasn't me but I'd have probably said something to you as well....the rules are very explicit and clear....NO HANDLING OF FIREARMS WHILE PEOPLE ARE DOWNRANGE

I don't mean to come off as an asshole but if you're that concerned about your rifle being stolen you should probably find another place to shoot, or do as I do and only shoot when there is at least one other person there that you know that will either do the target swap or sit and watch your gear while you do it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:11:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Republican Man....No I don't think that was an asshole comment and I hear where you are coming from.  I think that rule may apply to the guys back at the benches twiddling their pieces while people are down range. Handling it and having it hanging on your back are not one in the same. No offense but that is the way I see it.

Next time I go up there I will see if the rules expilicitly state that there are no firearms allowed at the target line. Better yet if I ever encounter the ranger I will ask him myself.

edited to say I went to the game commission website and they had a pic of the rules but it was unreadable.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:34:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I resent the fact that the "State" would limit my mag capacity to three. It flat out sucks and as such, I wouldn't loose a minute's sleep if NSP range dried up and blew away.  But I'm a rebelous type I suppose.  

Like Ray said if you must go to State game ranges due to financial reasons, just take a buddy with you and you should be fine.  As for me, I'm happy with Water and Wings.  A good group of guys who look out for one another and practice safe shooting..... well.....mostly safe with the possible exception of this idiot and his flying Mini-14 shell cases....  Next week....Bigger Towels I promise!

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:00:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Bringing your rifle with you down range is a major no-no. A simple solution is buy a cable bicycle lock and lock it to the bench through the trigger guard.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:33:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I used to go to French Creek with a buddy, so one of us could stay with the rifles while the other changed targets. I won't go there any more. I'm tired of unsafe assholes handling while I'm down range, or just getting up for a stroll to the berm while I'm shooting.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:34:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:25:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Mike....You can't lock an AR through the Trigger Guard...It comes down and makes an integral winter trigger. Now if you put the lock through the ejector port out the mag well that would work.

My going to Nockamixon is not  about money. It is about convenience.

Ray...Although it may be prudent not to carry your rifle to the targets....it is not against any rules posted at the range.

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:54:07 AM EDT
[#19]
I really need to get together with you all at Water and Wings some weekend....  Anybody going to be there the 16th/17th of Oct?
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 8:47:42 AM EDT
[#20]
I'll be there on the 17th
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top