BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 9/16/2015 5:08:21 AM EDT

FM-14 - CT Legal AR-15 Derivative

Available NOW in:

.223 / 5.56x45, 300AAC, 5.45x39, 7.62x39.

Semi-automatic.  Detachable magazine. Takes regular AR mags, AR accessories, AR uppers.

From $750!  CT Legal!  

For those without facebook,

a guy asked how its legal

The Freedom Shoppe We put it to the ATF and asked them to render a judgement.

1. It is not a rifle, as it doesn't have a buttstock.

2. It isn't a pistol, as it has a forward grip.

2.a. It isn't a pistol under CT law either, as the barrel is over 12in in length.

3. It isn't an AOW, as it is over 26in in length.

4. It isn't ANYTHING in their classification, so they decided it was an 'other'.  A firearm that is NOT a rifle, NOT a pistol, NOT an AOW.  No tax stamp needed.

And since the CT AWB SPECIFICALLY bans 'AW' under the rifle, pistol and shotgun categories, and since this isn't any of those, by both CT law and by the ATF decision - ergo - it is NOT an AW.  And is CT legal.  grin emoticon

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 5:45:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I applaud their willingness to back the ct people and provide us with cool toys,but I think they are pushing the limit. That may be all fine and dandy on paper but the second someone gets caught with it , it's going to be a legal nightmare to clean up.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 5:56:07 AM EDT
[#2]
This is good news. I doubt there is much to worry about here.  They have it in writing .....prolly.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 6:15:08 AM EDT
[#3]
If one were to purchase one of these and have legal possession of the lower, would it be legal to reconfigure the firearm as a 'standard' AR?  Pistol > Rifle is OK, how about AOW > Rifle?
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 6:31:44 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If one were to purchase one of these and have legal possession of the lower, would it be legal to reconfigure the firearm as a 'standard' AR?  Pistol > Rifle is OK, how about AOW > Rifle?
View Quote
No

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 6:52:22 AM EDT
[#5]
What about just refitting an existing AR with THAT non-existant "buttstock".  Seems to me that's all that is.  Is that a typical AR lower??

Rome
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 7:16:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What about just refitting an existing AR with THAT non-existant "buttstock".  Seems to me that's all that is.  Is that a typical AR lower??

Rome
View Quote

It doesn't say it uses a standard AR lower. Uppers and mags yes. Maybe they made that buffer tube permanent. Otherwise, we should be able to buy stripped lowers and build into this configuration in any caliber too.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 7:18:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 7:24:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 7:27:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It doesn't say it uses a standard AR lower. Uppers and mags yes. Maybe they made that buffer tube permanent. Otherwise, we should be able to buy stripped lowers and build into this configuration in any caliber too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rome

Indeed. I believe you are correct!
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 7:31:26 AM EDT
[#10]
While I applaud the effort to configure a rifle to be CT compliant, I think there are a couple things worth noting, and please correct me if I am wrong.

Sec. 53a-3, (19), defines a "firearm" :
means any sawed-off shotgun, machine gun, rifle, shotgun, pistol, revolver or other weapon, whether loaded or unloaded from which a shot may be discharged;
View Quote

53-202b, (1), defines an "assault weapon" :
A) (i) Any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic or burst fire at the option of the user or any of the following specified semiautomatic firearms:
View Quote

If a firearm mean "other weapon", and an assault weapon is a "firearm", under CT law, how can what the Freedom Shoppe is offering be legal? Let alone all the other criteria, fingers under the action, flash hider, forward pistol grip, etc.

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 7:41:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Can someone post pics? I don't have a facebook. Didn't we just have a conversation about this type of firearm the other day?
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 7:59:37 AM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 8:00:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 8:08:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
While I applaud the effort to configure a rifle to be CT compliant, I think there are a couple things worth noting, and please correct me if I am wrong.

If a firearm mean "other weapon", and an assault weapon is a "firearm", under CT law, how can what the Freedom Shoppe is offering be legal? Let alone all the other criteria, fingers under the action, flash hider, forward pistol grip, etc.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

means any sawed-off shotgun, machine gun, rifle, shotgun, pistol, revolver or other weapon, whether loaded or unloaded from which a shot may be discharged;

A) (i) Any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic or burst fire at the option of the user or any of the following specified semiautomatic firearms:

Assault weapon is:
1) a select fire firearm
2) any of the semiautomatic firearms in the banned-by-name list
3) a rifle, pistol, or shotgun with features in the feature list

An AIDS cannon that isn't select-fire and isn't banned by name isn't an assault weapon.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 8:14:07 AM EDT
[#15]
He said it was two years in the making getting all the atf letters on the Facebook page
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 8:18:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Is that firearm "selective fire"? Nope. Its a semiautomatic firearm. As such it is not affected by the language of Sec. 53-202a(1)(A), the old banned by name list. Is it a "semiautomatic centerfire rifle"? Nope, it is not a rifle. As such it is not affected by the language of Sec. 53-202a(1)(B). Is it a "semiautomatic pistol"? Nope, it is not a pistol. As such it is not affected by the language of Sec. 53-202a(1)(C).  Because it is not a semiautomatic detachable magazine centerfire rifle, nor a semiautomatic pistol, nor a semiautomatic shotgun it is not subject to the feature bans nor the under 30 inch over all length restriction.  

https://www.cga.ct.gov/current/pub/chap_950.htm#sec_53a-3

(16) “Rifle” means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed metallic cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger;
(18) “Pistol” or “revolver” means any firearm having a barrel less than twelve inches;
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 8:22:08 AM EDT
[#17]
He called it a fm14 receiver, so maybe there is a mod in the buffer area.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 8:25:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rome

This. So I can go get a few Noveske striped lowers now right.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 8:27:50 AM EDT
[#19]
I humbly stand corrected.

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 8:41:35 AM EDT
[#20]
So then the question begs, can you use any other upper on that modified lower or is this all a proprietary shooter?  

I'm only curious from a technical aspect.  Seems to me that ever time someone tries to circumvent the regs the result is a pretty ugly shooter.  I think that, for $700+, you'd have to be pretty desperate to want to shoot a neutered AR but I give them credit where it's due.

I'll also add that every time this type of discussion comes up, it makes me mad all over again that we're precluded from buying reasonably priced rifles based on the AR rifle.  Even in California you can still own them.  I would gladly accept the 10 round mag limit if we could continue to build and buy receivers and uppers like before.  It's so claustrophobic in this state.  I was recently offered a .308 receiver all ready to go and had to say no thank you.  What a mess.

Rome
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 8:42:36 AM EDT
[#21]
i wonder how long before other shops offer this?
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 8:46:21 AM EDT
[#22]
His description says regular uppers.  I'll bet the did something to the buffer area as a CYA
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 9:14:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Available NOW in:
Semi-automatic.  Detachable magazine. Takes regular AR mags, AR accessories, AR uppers.
From $750!  CT Legal!  
View Quote

A Fuck Malloy - 14, eh?  Bravo!

Freedom Shoppe deserves a medal!

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 9:21:13 AM EDT
[#24]
In the comments on his FB page, it was asked if 9mm or 308 would be available.....he said yes. Too bad you couldn't SBR it, that would make it into an AW, correct?
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 9:22:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 9:24:02 AM EDT
[#26]
This must be extremely new because I just did a Google search and came up with zip.  

Rome
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 9:24:27 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Available NOW in:

From $750!  CT Legal!  

Shit, I didn't see it at first

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 9:48:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Never mind.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 9:55:54 AM EDT
[#30]
the question to be asked , is the state actually transferring these?
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:01:05 AM EDT
[#31]

Looks like he gave the state a chance to challenge,from Facebook thread:

We gave them a copy of the ATF judgement, and how it completely bypasses the CT AWB, and gave them two YEARS to come up with a judgement that contests the ATF.  They refused to challenge the ATF judgement.  :D
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:02:43 AM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:13:16 AM EDT
[#33]
How long is the barrel? May be a stupid question, but since it is not a rifle can you have a 12.5" barrel on it without a form1?
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:17:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
How long is the barrel? May be a stupid question, but since it is not a rifle can you have a 12.5" barrel on it without a form1?
View Quote

Think it still needs to be over 30"(?) or is that 26"(?), so it doesn't magically become an AW for OAL. Stupid shit law
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:21:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Think it still needs to be over 30"(?) or is that 26"(?), so it doesn't magically become an AW for OAL. Stupid shit law
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Forgot about that, federal is 26" OAL and CT is 30" OAL, IIRC.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:28:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Since its not an ass weapon it only needs to be 26

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:48:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

I thought if it was a rifle under 30" OAL that makes it an AW
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:53:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As explained one page back, the 30 inch over all length limit in the CT AWB doesn't applied because its NOT a rifle. The CT AWB 30 inch over all length limit only applies to "semiautomatic, centerfire rifle".
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 10:56:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

As explained one page back, the 30 inch over all length limit in the CT AWB doesn't applied because its NOT a rifle. The CT AWB 30 inch over all length limit only applies to "semiautomatic, centerfire rifle".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I answered my own question and didn't even realize it
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 12:18:30 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

This gun might even be one that you could have loaded and accessible while driving (10 round mag) if you read the law closely.
View Quote

I'm getting that vibe too. So great application as a trunk/car gun.

Is there a maximum barrel length? This could be a great way to build a modern .308. Issue is finding a Sig brace type device that works well with shooting. 308/distance. There is the brace that look like a tube with a high cheek weld. Maby we can get a manufacturer to come up with one with a folding monopod. To stabilize against big muscular forearms .
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 12:20:01 PM EDT
[#41]
my feeling is that this will get squashed sooner rather then later .
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 12:28:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 12:29:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

A .308 with a 12.5" barrel and a Sig brace sounds like a blast to shoot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This gun might even be one that you could have loaded and accessible while driving (10 round mag) if you read the law closely.

I'm getting that vibe too. So great application as a trunk/car gun.

Is there a maximum barrel length? This could be a great way to build a modern .308. Issue is finding a Sig brace type device that works well with shooting. 308/distance. There is the brace that look like a tube with a high cheek weld. Maby we can get a manufacturer to come up with one with a folding monopod. To stabilize against big muscular forearms .

A .308 with a 12.5" barrel and a Sig brace sounds like a blast to shoot.

Almost as much of a "blast" as your 12ga (or was that a 16? I can't remember) pistol?
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 12:30:50 PM EDT
[#44]
My 12 inch ar10 makes a nice fire ball. I'm not sure if II would want to shoot it with a SIG brace
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 12:34:33 PM EDT
[#45]
The forward grip must stay attached to the gun to keep its classification?
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 12:58:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 1:03:46 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
The forward grip is an extra feature that doesn't need to be there to not be a rifle, not be a pistol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The forward grip is an extra feature that doesn't need to be there to not be a rifle, not be a pistol.

Good cuz its gross.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 1:28:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Good cuz its gross.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good cuz its gross.

The big foam covered dildo hanging off the back end is totally cool though.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 1:47:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Dildo?  Did someone say "dildo"?  Is this thread going toward the light?

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 1:55:15 PM EDT
[#50]
If he makes the 9mm that takes Glock mags I would buy one
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top