Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/8/2005 4:03:11 PM EDT
I just renewed mine, and the expiration is in 2030!!!  

Linkatola

Veteran's License

Veterans are eligible for a free driver's license that remains valid until the holder reaches age 65. After age 65, veterans must renew their driver's licenses every five (5) years. Successful completion of the vision test is required at each renewal after age 65.

1. A veteran must present evidence of honorable, active duty service in the Armed Forces of the United States. Evidence must also be presented that the veteran was a resident of the State of Georgia at the time of enlistment or induction (and that their home was in Georgia at that time) or that the veteran had been enlisted or commissioned elsewhere and has been a resident of Georgia for at least 2 consecutive years preceding the date of application. Other required information includes enlistment or commission and separation dates, serial number, date of birth, etc.

All of this information is contained on your copy of the Armed Forces separation papers (Form DD214). Activation for training purposes does not qualify you for the Georgia Veteran's License. The DD214 must be presented to any office of the State Department of Veteran Services for a review by that Agency. The qualified veteran will be issued a certificate of eligibility (DS516), signed by the veteran and the certifying official. This certificate and DD214 is then presented, by the veteran, to any examining office of the Department of Driver Services for any required test and issuance of the license.
  2. The spouse of a disabled, honorably separated veteran who does not have a driver's license or the unmarried spouse of a deceased, honorably separated veteran, is entitled to the same benefits as those received by the veteran. Application for this type license is established in the same fashion as outlined in the previous paragraph. For the unmarried spouse, the death certificate along with DD214 must be submitted to the State Department of Veteran Services to obtain a certificate of eligibility.

National Guard

1. All members or former members of the Georgia National Guard or reserve forces, who have 20 or more years of creditable service, are entitled to a veteran's license. A document of certification must be obtained from the Adjutant General of the State of Georgia, stating the applicant's eligibility, and presented to any examining office of the Department of Driver Services.
  2. A distinctive license may be issued to any member of the Georgia National Guard in good standing who has completed at least one year of satisfactory service. A certificate of eligibility (DS-318) form must be obtained from the local National Guard Commanding Officer; and presented to any examining office of the Department of Driver Services. This license is renewable during the time of service in the National Guard or until 20 years of service has Been obtained which entitles you to a Veteran's License.

Veterans must have served on active duty during one of the periods of conflicts below:
Spanish-American War April 21 1898, through July 4, 1902. The ending date for a veteran who served with the U.S. Military forces engaged in hostilities in the Moro Province is July 15, 1903.
Mexican Border May 9, 1916 through April 5, 1917
World War I April 6, 1917 through November 11, 1918. The period for a veteran who served with the U.S. Military forces in Russia would include April 6, 1917, through April 1, 1920.
World War II December 7, 1941 through December 31, 1946
Korea June 27, 1950 through January 31, 1955
Lebanon Conflict July 1, 1958 through November 1, 1958
Vietnam Conflict July 1, 1958 through August 4, 1964
Berlin Conflict August 14, 1961 through June 1, 1963
Vietnam August 5, 1964 through May 7, 1975
Dominican Republic Conflict April 28, 1965 through September 21, 1966
Grenada Conflict October 23, 1983 through November 21, 1983
Panama Liberation December 30, 1989 through February 15, 1990
Saudi Arabia
Iraq
Kuwait
Persian Gulf August 2, 1990 - ending date unknown at this time

Military personnel on active duty and full-time students outside of Georgia may request a renewal of their driver's license by mail, if verified in the specified manner described by the Department of Driver Services and accompanied by the correct fee. The same privilege is also extended to a military person's spouse and any licensed dependents living with the person while on duty in a foreign domain or in a state other than Georgia. The renewal will be granted for no longer than a four-year period at the end of which the license holders must appear for renewals.

Georgia law now allows a six-month grace period for a service member whose driver's license expires while he/she is on active duty outside the State of Georgia. The grace period is not added to the expiration date on a service member’s driver’s license. Service members are allowed to drive in Georgia on an expired license for six months after the date he/she is discharged or reassigned back into the state, and they are exempt from being cited for driving with an expired license. If cited, a service member should bring a copy of his/her official military orders or a written verification signed by his/her commanding officer to a Customer Service Center, and the Department of Driver Services will issue a waiver.

Georgia driver's licenses may be renewed by mail ONE TIME. The applicant and application must satisfy the following requirements:

* An applicant must be a Georgia resident on active duty, in the military, a military dependent or a full time student residing outside the State of Georgia.
   * A driver's license that has been expired for (2) or more years cannot be renewed by mail.
   * Changes (name, address, etc.) must be made in person at a driver's license Customer Service Center. Changes cannot be made using the mail method of renewal.
   * Submit an eye examination report, which is less than (1) year old. The examination report must be in English and report the actual visual acuity (snellen vision.20/20 or 20/40 etc.) Medical Information Do not send us your optical prescriptions. The eye doctor must complete the back of the form. The minimum acceptable vision is 20/60 in one eye, with or without corrective lenses, and a field of vision of at least 140 degrees for a Regular Class license and 20/40 in each eye with or without corrective lenses with a field of vision at least 140 degrees for a Commercial Class license. DS-274 Vision Report Form
   * Military personnel must submit a confirmation letter on military stationery, from their Commanding Officer. The letter must state that you are currently in the military or military dependent on active duty outside the State of Georgia.
   * Students must submit on school letterhead from the Registrar's office a letter with the school seal stating that the student is currently considered a full time student.

The below information must be provided:

* Georgia Driver's License Number:
   * Date of Birth:
   * CSC (Post) #:
   * Expiration Date:
   * Date of Issue:
   * Sex:
   * Height:(Ft.In.).
   * Weight:
   * Eye Color:
   * Social Security #:
   * Out of State Mailing Address: No post office box #'s.
   * Georgia Resident Address: No post office box #'s

Send this information along with the correct fee to:

Georgia Department of Driver Services
Driver Services Division/Military Issuance
Post Office Box 80447
Conyers, Georgia 30013-8447
Fax: (678) 413-8460

Submit a money order payable to the Georgia Department of Driver Services.

Last Updated On: 7/11/2005
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 4:34:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 6:01:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine expires in 08. But I had  to get a new one cause mine got brike in half "kids" But I thought it was wierd when they didnt charge me for it. I will have to call tomorrow and ask them about it. I know when I got it renewed they asked me about being a veteran but didnt mention anything about it not expiring till I was 65......Will they last that long? My last one didnt last e year!
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 7:09:31 PM EDT
[#3]
To prove you are a veteran to the DMV, you need to get a form signed by the VA.  They will want to see your DD214.  In Gwinnett, the VA rep. is at the court house on Thursdays.  You can also go to the VA Hospital on Clairmont.  Not sure of their hours.  

I got a thing in the mail a few months back.  I didn't read the thing that carefully.  I thought they were offering to renew my license so that the renewals would line me up to renew when I turn 65.  I didn't realize they were going to renew it for 25 years.  My picture is already pretty old.  I can't imagine how much it won't look like me in another 25 years.  

The whole thing seems a bit wacky.  No eye tests or new pictures for 25 years.  I wonder what the LEOs think about that.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 7:17:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 7:32:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 1:44:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I looked into this but gave up on it after I was given a hard time. I was born in GA, my family is from GA, my father retired from the Army to GA, but since I was living on an Army base outside of GA when I enlisted they gave me grief.

One of the guys I work with got his.  He joined from Arkansas.  He's only been in GA about 8 years.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:42:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Had to get new license in August (moved, needed current address). It just seems like they always ask if you are a veteran. I had forgotten to grab cash before I went, so I'm glad I served.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:51:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I cannot remember how long I have had mine, but I believe ever since I got out in '73.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:08:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Too bad the second part of the first line doesn't apply to me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top