Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/17/2005 8:52:07 AM EDT
I’m getting ready to order some Fox pepper spray.
If anyone wants to piggy back onto my order to share shipping, here’s the schedule.

$12 – Little .5 oz keychain with hard shell and break away connection.

$15 – 1.5 oz foam spray with spring loaded flip top safety cap.

$20 – 2 oz canister with spring loaded flip top safety cap and cheesy holster.
Options: Fog pattern or stream pattern. Belt loop holster or clip on holster.
$25 – 4 oz model with cheesy holster, same options as above.

$45 – One pound, pistol grip fire extinguisher model for backing up a crowd. Fog or stream.

$5 – 3 Decontamination wipes, for when you get the stuff on you.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:18:09 AM EDT
Thanks TJ i got to order at least one of the keychain ones for my cousin for when she goes of to college in a couple weeks.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:27:12 AM EDT
i'm in for a keychain
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:15:07 PM EDT
I'm in for a 2oz. stream.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:09:20 PM EDT
I want in. Let me check with Melissa and see what she wants.

The fire extinguisher looks like fun for our next group shoot. Not that I would use it on any of you lovely people.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:02:17 PM EDT
A couple of 2oz streams with clip on holsters might be a good idea (at least it's safer for the hostage that way ). Lemme talk to the boss and see what she says.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:19:41 PM EDT
Something to keep in mind with the Decon wipes.... Fox Pepper works by getting into your pores and wiping it with anything is going to push the pepper in deeper including the wipes. They work with the chem sprays, but pepper just needs to be left alone. Flushing with water lessens the pain for a few seconds, but a gentle cool breeze works the best for decontamination. Actually what works best is don't get any on you, it's Hell in a can

A little advice from the defense alternatives class

The 1.5 oz foam is kind of cool. The foam worked very well at class.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:49:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/18/2005 7:02:46 AM EDT by glenn_r]
I've issued the 1-lb "fire extinguishers" to all midnight officers after an incident a few years ago. Haven't had to use them, which is good.

Personal biases follow:

I dislike the foam versions. First of all, they're not as hot as the stream/fog (instead of 5.3mil SHU, they're only 2mil SHU. 2m SHU is the same as most "regular" non-Fox pepper sprays). Second, although the foam helps prevent cross-contamination, it can be flung back at you (per local jail staff, which is issued foam stuff).

I use stream models to reduce cross-contamination and effects of wind. The stream isn't as good as foam at this, but better than the fog. The fog is awesome if conditions are right, though. Edited to add this comment from our dealer's website: "We recommend the Medium foggers for civilian use. These units do not require pin point accuracy and do not disperse all contents as quickly as the stream units. The downside to the fog is the aftermath of spray floating around and the shorter spray distance. There are good arguments for both units, but you need to decide which you will be more comfortable with."

Buy an inert can along with the "live" can. Experiment with the spray pattern you're going to use, so you see how weather conditions play a factor. The inerts are great for role-playing, so you can see what range the canisters have, and practice against moving targets. TRAIN, or at least experiment a little. Have the role-player wear wrap-around glasses. The inert's carrier will sting very slightly, but it's not bad and decontaminates with a normal face wash.

I carry the keychain unit at all times, but if you buy one, I doubly recommend getting an inert canister as well. The range and length of spray on these is somewhat different than the 2-oz cans. Less spray = less leeway to adjust your aim and fewer sprays before you're empty (multiple attackers). Comes in stream spray only.

If you want a larger unit, the 2-oz is as large as I'd go for carry w/o duty belt. And even at that size, it's relatively big. You're not going to carry a 2-oz canister around unnoticed in your pocket. I issue 2-oz size for work, and replace them after each use.

In my limited experience with them I've had good luck with the decontamination wipes. I carry a set around with me at work for use by co-workers or myself because water's not handy. Much better than simply waiting out the effects (air exposure) during my testing session. Quinlan's right, though--read the directions. If you scrub with the wipes, I'd expect results to be worse as the pepper is forced in. I just patted softly and laid the thing on my face. Blissful
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:57:47 AM EDT
And I really recommend some scenario training with these. It's simple to use, but much more effective when combined with correct actions before/during/after the actual spraying. Kind of like a DETC course. Just making a gun go off is quite easy, but there's more to it than that.

And you're much more likely to use pepper spray than a gun. Training with these would be well worth the minimal investment in a few inert canisters and a short period of time.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:27:15 AM EDT
I've already got a couple of the keychain .5 oz. models. Considering a couple of the 2 oz. flip top models as well.

One thing I don't like about the keychain model is how much added bulk the plastic holder adds to the .5 oz. can. I've thought about just pulling out the .5 oz. can and making my own attachment loop with some duct tape and reinforcement. But the twist safety seems pretty loose once it's out of the big plastic holder.

So how does the 2 oz. flip top can compare (size wise) with the full plastic keychain model? If they're close, I may just switch and make my own attachment loop.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:41:46 AM EDT

The diameter is quite different. The keychain model fits comfortably in my front pocket. The 2-oz can wouldn't. If you carry the 2-oz in a belt holster, it's significantly larger. SureFire 6P for comparison.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:16:04 AM EDT
Thanks Glenn. The 2 oz. is bigger than I was hoping. Probably will just stick with the .5 oz. for now. Upgrade and try out the 2 oz. sometime in the future.

Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:16:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/18/2005 12:16:43 PM EDT by Dolomite]
Just a FYI re the Sudecon wipes:

They recommend the use of two for decon. One to mop up your face and hands, and a second fresh one to squeeze over your eyes while you're pointing your face up. The juice needs to flush out your eyes in order for the "15 minute" claim to really work.

I keep a pair of rubber gloves and a couple of Sudecon wipes in a little zip-loc in the car door pocket right next to my 2 oz can of Fox.

In regards to the 2oz versus the keychain - get both!

The key chain model (without the holder - I prefer to carry just the reills) is very 'pocketable' - but I feel the need to keep a small piece of tape on the red nozzle tab to prevent an AD.

The distance it sprays out though is pretty dissapointing compared to the 2 oz can - so keep that in mind (and buy both!)
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:25:49 PM EDT
Not to horn in on anyones deal but, J&L has some pretty decent prices on FOX. They'll also ship Fox to WI no questions asked.

www.selfdefenseproducts.com/pepper.htm

+ and the August 10% off discount code is:
NLDC805
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:45:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/18/2005 2:46:20 PM EDT by Throttle-Junkie]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:34:17 AM EDT
Keychain and 2 oz stream...

And if you also ordering inert cans I would take one as well

Practice makes perfect...of course guess the wife can
practice spraying down prime rib with pepper...
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:43:06 AM EDT
Keychain and 2 oz stream...

And if you also ordering inert cans I would take one as well

Practice makes perfect...of course guess the wife can
practice spraying down prime rib with pepper...
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:10:40 PM EDT
Hey folks, I had intended to go over the stuff at the cite Dolomite pointed out and make comparisons and renegotiate everything .......
I can't do it.
I don't have the time or inclination for a do-over.

I posted this to help the locals get up to speed and move on this, and its had the reverse effect of preventing me from moving on it.
There's been some purse snatchings, a stalker in the parking garage and other crap around my wife's work and I want this shit on her person like friggin yesterday.

I'll give folks a day to re-post and re-affirm what they want.
Then, I'm going ahead with with my original purchase plan at the original place.

9divdoc, I don't wanna exclude you, but I have no idea when I'll see you again.
Is this a workable position?

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:35:07 PM EDT
Yeah, same thing happened to me with teh Tshirts.

Anyhow, I'm still in for a 2oz stream. LMK when you want some money or ammo.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:57:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By FMD:
A couple of Two 2oz streams with clip on holsters...

Confirmed. Lemme know how you want payment.
Top Top