Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/4/2022 2:25:50 AM EDT
My old neighbor worked there. Used to give me all of his Bullwark FR pants once they were 6 months old because he couldn’t use them any longer than that. Just happened to be the same size. They looked just like my normal navy blue Dickies brand work pants but were much softer. Eventually I asked why he wasn’t allowed to use the pants past 6 months. The answer was, eye opening to me.

I recall reading in the newspaper about various stages of the decommissioning which wrapped up around 2004. At the time I was fascinated when they loaded up the old reactor onto 3 barges and sent them to Ukraine where the reactor was to be rebuilt and used again. There were photos of the loaded barges on the front page of The New London Day newspaper. I never heard about it again.
Does anyone know specifically where in Ukraine this nuclear reactor was installed?
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 1:55:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My old neighbor worked there. Used to give me all of his Bullwark FR pants once they were 6 months old because he couldn’t use them any longer than that. Just happened to be the same size. They looked just like my normal navy blue Dickies brand work pants but were much softer. Eventually I asked why he wasn’t allowed to use the pants past 6 months. The answer was, eye opening to me.

I recall reading in the newspaper about various stages of the decommissioning which wrapped up around 2004. At the time I was fascinated when they loaded up the old reactor onto 3 barges and sent them to Ukraine where the reactor was to be rebuilt and used again. There were photos of the loaded barges on the front page of The New London Day newspaper. I never heard about it again.
Does anyone know specifically where in Ukraine this nuclear reactor was installed?
View Quote

So why couldn’t he wear the pants?
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 2:20:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Bullwark FR stands for Flash Rated.

Intent is to hold your body parts within the clothing in the event that you touch something with enough electrons and current to vaporize yourself. They don’t want your wet body parts sticking to the costly electrical devices, switchgear, etc.

Due to detergent degradation of something within the special cloth, the pants cannot be worn on the job once they are beyond six months old from data manufacturer. That’s what I was told anyway. As I remember it. There may have been alcohol involved.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 2:40:52 PM EDT
[#3]
The CY reactor was sent to the Savannah River Site in South Carolina.

Link Posted: 3/4/2022 3:43:21 PM EDT
[#4]
South Carolina, Ukraine, bit of a difference there. I’ll be in the neighborhood of the old site. Will post up some pics.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 8:42:25 PM EDT
[#5]
This photo is taken from across the river, near the rear of the opera house.
Attachment Attached File

This plane was making practice landings and lifting off again.
Attachment Attached File

Here the plane is near the ground.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 8:56:35 PM EDT
[#6]
From the far end of the site, looking towards the road.Attachment Attached File

Pilot Extraordinaire
Attachment Attached File

Looking upstream
Attachment Attached File

Looking downstream
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 11:50:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Intent is to hold your body parts within the clothing in the event that you touch something with enough electrons and current to vaporize yourself. They don’t want your wet body parts sticking to the costly electrical devices, switchgear, etc.
View Quote

Lol alcohol was HEAVILY involved if he told you that
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 12:21:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Lol alcohol was HEAVILY involved if he told you that
View Quote

No doubt. So more like regular pants?
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 7:22:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 9:52:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Due to detergent degradation of something within the special cloth, the pants cannot be worn on the job once they are beyond six months old from data manufacturer. That’s what I was told anyway. As I remember it. There may have been alcohol involved.
View Quote

Interesting
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top