Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2003 8:14:28 PM EDT
 I was just wondering this.  It might make things simpler for people that are thinking of buying something that needs a CLEO signature on their Form 4.  Whether or not to just submit it or try to find an alternate route.
 So, which CLEOs are Form 4 friendly?

mm
Link Posted: 4/6/2003 8:17:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/13/2003 6:44:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Tarrant County is supposed to be CLEO friendly, however Ft. Worth PD is not.

My understanding is that Dallas PD and Dallas County SO is a also a no.

I just sent in my Form 4 last week, but I went the corporate route.  No pictures, fingerprints or CLEO needed.  

Are you asking a particular or a general question?
Link Posted: 4/13/2003 7:55:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Texasvwnut - could you explain the "corporate route"?
Link Posted: 4/14/2003 8:08:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/14/2003 8:38:10 AM EDT
[#5]
 I was just wanting to know who the Form 4 friendlies were.  So it's ok for a CLEO not to sign a Form 4 because they just want to?  No legal or ethical basis for these decisions?

mm
Link Posted: 4/14/2003 1:09:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
 I was just wanting to know who the Form 4 friendlies were.  So it's ok for a CLEO not to sign a Form 4 because they just want to?  No legal or ethical basis for these decisions?

mm

Tarrant County Sheriff is the only major LEO office that I know of that does it no problem.

Just go the Corporate route, it is much better way to go.
Link Posted: 4/14/2003 2:20:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Most CLEOs typically will not sign a Form 4.  It is getting harder and harder to get this which is a requirement for a class 3 weapon.  A lot of times the CLEO does not undertand what they are being asked to sign or won't sign because of the politics due to the anti-gun climate.

If you are incorporated in any state, Texas for this board, you can legally transfer a class 3 weapon into your business as an asset.  No fingerprints, photos or CLEO sign off is needed.  Anyone who is an officer of the company can possess or shoot the weapon(s).  You can be an INC or an LLC.  I had a home based business for a few years and went through the LLC process a while back and the class 3 transfer was just a bonus!  You should employ an attorney or go through one of the better web sites set up to assist you in getting your business incorportated. I got my LLC set up for under $600.  

The class 3 dealer will need you Articles of Incorporation or Orgiznation (depending on if you have a INC or a LLC), a letter of good standing from the Texas Secretary of State (really simple once you get incorportated or organized you can print it off the website) and a check for the weapon you want to purchase.  

Typically my understanding is that the person signing for the weapon has a background check by the BATF and the transfer is typically shorter that a transfer to an individual.

Any good class 3 dealer will be able to educate you in the who, what, when and wheres of getting a class 3 via the corporate route.
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 5:18:03 PM EDT
[#8]
 Ok, after a week, I have not gotten a response from the Garland PD to my email inquiry.  Might be because we currently do not have a police chief, he retired at the end of March.  Would an interim chief be able to sign?  I'm going over to the police station to inquire sometime this week, after I talk to Jeff Schramm and get his advice.
 Would an LLC be enough to satisfy the corporate requirement?

mm
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 7:26:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey mm good choice with Jeff. Ive bought 6 or 7 guns from him. He is honest and straight forward and does bussiness on a handshake. He will give you all the poop on the corp. way... Get a few guys together to spit the cost of incorperating and then list them as officers..I think thats on the up and up..
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 8:35:22 PM EDT
[#10]
MM 38, My local class #3 dealer told me several years ago that the ATF told the police chiefs and sheriffs that they didn't have to sigh form #4's. My local chief in Virginia signed a form for me some time back but won't sign now.There quick enough to turn a form down if you don't qualify, but won't sign if you do qualify. They just ignore you and hope you leave. I'm trying to decide if I want to bring a lawsuit against the police chief to force him to do his job and get on the "shit list". We do have a temporary chief now, but I haven't checked to see if he'll sign. Our last short term chief wouldn't sign!
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 2:03:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Do you need a new form for every NFA item that you buy?
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 4:39:11 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Do you need a new form for every NFA item that you buy?

Yes...it gets expensive quickly to become a stamp collector, but this is the only stamp I like to collect!  
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 7:40:35 PM EDT
[#13]
 I talked with Shawn of bachman Guns and aso Jeff Schramm.  They both basically gave me the same story, the previous Garland PD chief wouldn't sign so it's unlikey the interim chief or anyone else in Dallas County would sign.  Both said it's only for political or personal reasons.
  Ok.....so, if I want to start a retail business initially based out of my home, can I incorporate?  Do I have to have officers if I'm sole proprieter and do not have the intention of selling stock or shares of the business?  What do I need to do to get a tax card and local business license?  I'd be starting completely from scratch, suggestions on a source to help develop a business plan?  Or should I just contribute heavily to the campaigns of CT McDaniel and Ed Daniels and try to explain to them that I'm not a blood relation to my brother-in-law Bill?

mm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top