Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2011 12:59:07 PM EDT
Heard about it yesterday but figured someone would have posted.

I remember throwing horseshoes and drinking with the Parker boys, Travis Tritt
and a few others while the stereo was blasting out ARS, The Outlaws, yada yada.

da-da-damn, @ 30 years ago.  Bought my first ARS album at 14 years old in '72, 9th grade.
Still have those two beautiful pieces of vinyl.

http://www.ajc.com/news/ronnie-hammond-60-ars-873696.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMRlOzWWeI8&feature=related

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:18:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:18:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Didn't know he had passed.

60 doesn't seem that old when your halfway through your 40s. Need to get that checkup done that I've been putting off.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:17:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Very sad news, I have been a fan since the 70's and think they were the most underrated band ever to play.The entire group was made of session musicians that had a mastery of their instruments that has seldom been seen or heard.

Great writing, out of this world talent and a very smooth flavor of Georgia Southern rock with a mix of Jazz.

Hammond really tied it all together and this news is shocking to say the least, prayers inbound for all his love ones, friends and peers.

We " myself and a small group of good friends" use to follow them to local haunts and enjoyed them in the small, medium and large venues, I have been to 19 of their concerts / Jam Sessions over the years and that includes small local venues like the Harvest Moon Saloon, Moon Shadow Saloon and all the way up to Grant field for both Champagne Jams.

FWIW and on a brighter note, we might have shared a horseshoe pit, a keg, a smoke and some good company in the past, I went to school with Tritt and remember well the great music Travis and Mark Fields use to play together, good times and good music from the late 70's and early 80's in the Canton Highway area of Cobb.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:21:51 PM EDT
[#4]
same here, 14 in 1972, under appreciated talent indeed
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:36:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I grew up in the late 70's listening to them as well as a few others that are not with us any more.

I still got a few of their albums put away. I got most of them now on CD.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 5:52:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Bump to the top, there be some smooth jammin today upstairs folks.

Link Posted: 3/17/2011 6:02:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Tribute to ARS by the Drive By Truckers.

Video

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top