Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2003 2:38:46 PM EDT
I am somewhat new to this forum as I am considering buying my first AR. I am a member out at the FOP range in Pleasant Grove. I have been reading up on different guns, different scopes, etc. I am interested in the ACOGs but I have heard you have to use them to decide which one you like better. If anyone has an ACOG and doesn't mind me shooting a few rounds through the rifle it is attached to (I would be more than willing to throw in some cash) I would love to try one out. Unfortunately I stay pretty busy and I probably won't get out there until July or August. I just wanted to throw this up here and see what happens. It would be nice to meet some of the local AR15 guys anyway. Another way to tackle this would be to come to one of the events you guys put on like Boomstock. Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 2:40:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I would recommend keeping a close eye on the equipment exchange board, best selection of different AR's in one place. I Purchased my first AR from there a little over a month ago and have had no troubles, it was a great transaction.

Trogdor...the burninator
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 6:21:20 PM EDT
[#2]
welcome aboard!

several of the guys that shoot 3 gun out at fop have acogs. try talking to one of them. I will try to be out there sat or sunday to relieve some stress. let me know if you wanna make some noise. Taking my son out to play.

mike
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 6:27:25 PM EDT
[#3]
oh yea about the acogs....

i have fired 2 models. They were both very well made and very clear optics. Frankly i think they are overated for what they are. They are marginal as scopes due to low power. and not very fast as a cqb optics. A red dot would be much faster and there are better optics much cheaper for distance. I suppose they would work well in a combat situation where you don't need high power optics and are not worried about instant target aquisition<sp>.

I liked it for what it was but i really think they are way overpriced. shoot one before you buy one. They do have the cool factor however.

mike
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 6:44:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Mike, Thanks for the suggestions on the ACOGs. I think I am gonna go with a Bushie V Match with a IOR Valdada M2 for my first AR and then set up an M4 with the EOtech later on. I have shot the EOtech out at FOP on a member's MechTech and that sighting system is awesome!

As far as meeting up with some folks at fop, I guess I will swing by one weekend when I am in town. I like to go out there on weekdays where it is just me and the retired guys . But I guess I need to head out on a weekend to meet the local crowd.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 6:52:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Hi , I am "one of the guys" that shoot 3 gun and a long time member at the FOP Range in Pleasant Grove. I have a ACOG TA-31F on my duty AR and a buddy that has a NSN on his match rifle that we would be glad to let you play with , no payment needed. Beerslayer likes BIG scopes on his AR's , heck the last time I shot w/ him I though he had one of those big camera lens on his AR till I saw that it was just a REALLY BIG rifle scope. I think he formed his "overrated" ideas from watching me shoot mine , not only am I a really crappy shooter , but it was also the first trip to the range w/ the new TA-31F. After a couple hundred rounds thru it you shold see me now , I am nothing short of AWESOME!, seriously it takes a little while to learn the BAC concept of a ACOG , but once you do it is the best allaround combat scope made. Try to catch us up on the Shotgun Range on Sundays , you know us when you see us , we are the "Nuts" Running and Gunning with the really cool looking tactical rigs.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 4:09:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks Para. I have rolled ideas around in my brain for the last few weeks with information from the boards here and am probably gonna get a Colt M4 with a ACOG TA31. I am going to try my best to get out there one Saturday to meet some folks. Thank you for the offer; I hope I can get out there to take you up on it!
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 3:50:43 PM EDT
[#7]
no i like the acog it's well made just not my taste in optics. As for big that scope was ATN 5x33 on a 20" heavy barrell.

My problem was my eye had a very hard time using the acog with any speed. And i fe;t the low power wasn't good for me past 100 or so.

Jmho

mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top