Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/24/2017 4:44:23 PM
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 10/15/2004 11:27:39 AM EST
Modern deer is here, elk next and I have once again gathered everything but food to eat in the woods. Now I have to scramble to put together food quick that is light on packaging, filling & at least semi-nutritious, and doesn't need refrigeration, and is fairly cheap. I have some Mountain House stuff, but looking for other ideas before I set off in a couple hours. Sandwiches and dried soups/stews just get annoying after a while.

Any ideas? Recipes? I figure I'm not the only one with this problem.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 12:22:03 PM EST

Originally Posted By scrum:
Modern deer is here,

I like the old fashioned deer much better. The modern ones spend all thier time playing video games and never come out into the woods where we have a fair shot at them...

As to your question, I always just eat back at hunting camp. What every you like just bring it. All the convieniences of modern day camping.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 12:28:12 PM EST
When I hunt I'm OUT there....

I usually pack extremely light, carrying only a fanny pack. I take some jerky or a stick of pepperoni, a block of cheese, lighter, compass, map, deer drag equip, heat packs, doe scent, glovers, parka, and a camel back with water.

My Browning ABolt 270 has an ammo sleeve on the stock where I keep extra rounds. My 3X9 Accupoint does the rest.

I go out to hunt, not chow.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 1:53:11 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/15/2004 1:55:21 PM EST by R-32]

Originally Posted By scrum:
Modern deer is here, elk next and I have once again gathered everything but food to eat in the woods. Now I have to scramble to put together food quick that is light on packaging, filling & at least semi-nutritious, and doesn't need refrigeration, and is fairly cheap. I have some Mountain House stuff, but looking for other ideas before I set off in a couple hours. Sandwiches and dried soups/stews just get annoying after a while.

Any ideas? Recipes? I figure I'm not the only one with this problem.

Fairly cheap?... is that what you think of your body?

How long are you gone for?...

Are you going to have a hunting camp?...

I do premaid SOS for hunting camp Eggs, and Spuds apples, oranges...whatever...

In the field a couple snickers bars, and Jerkey, some Coffee packets, a couple of apples to baite eat.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:41:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/15/2004 3:41:51 PM EST by Redcap]
When in the field, I keep a couple pounds of Landjaegers or homemade jerky and a couple Gravenstein apples with me. Everything else stays in the fridge in the truck.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:29:48 PM EST
Get some MREs! The new ones are actually rather tasty, and contain lots of stuff. They even include a water activated heater to heat the entrees. All the garbage goes back in the bag for pack-out. At $3.50 each (if bought at the Puyallup WAC show) you can't really beat them for value and convenience.
Top Top