Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2012 11:31:30 AM EDT
My SIL  (USAF Based at Scott AFB) has recently sold her only firearm to a family member, she just got her foid renewal in the mail and is unsure how to report that she no longer needs to renew as she no longer has a firearm. What does she do?
Link Posted: 6/23/2012 11:50:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Nothing, you dont have to tell anyone you sold your guns. As long as she doesnt want to buy another or ammo she has no need for it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2012 3:22:27 PM EDT
[#2]
She can just put it in the circular file. But if she thinks she might have occasion to buy another or ammo... or is now or might be involved with someone who does own firearms...she might want to consider renewing anyway. Better to have the FOID and not need it than not having one when you need it. My sister has no use for guns herself but since the BIL owns a couple she keeps a FOID card current just in case.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 9:21:03 PM EDT
[#3]
No point in getting it cancelled. I'd tell her just to hang on to it until she PCS's or it expires, whichever comes first. Who knows, she may want to get something at a later date and if she still has a current card, she won't have to wait until getting a new one.
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 8:55:44 PM EDT
[#4]

She'll wish she still had the FOID if something happens and she needs to protect herself. Bad boyfriend... stalker...  pyscho killer on the loose.

Tell her to renew.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 2:57:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I get FRUSTRATED  at people who want to make themselves victims !    Your either a arming yourself or your becoming a helpless victim.    The police won't make it to her in time if something goes down.  She's dead!
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 5:14:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
She can just put it in the circular file. But if she thinks she might have occasion to buy another or ammo... or is now or might be involved with someone who does own firearms...she might want to consider renewing anyway. Better to have the FOID and not need it than not having one when you need it. My sister has no use for guns herself but since the BIL owns a couple she keeps a FOID card current just in case.

Everyone in my family has one, with staggered expiration dates.  Since there is no telling how long a renewal may take I figure at least one will be valid.
Also helpful for some ranges should she ever want to go.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 3:54:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Everyone in my family has one, with staggered expiration dates.  Since there is no telling how long a renewal may take I figure at least one will be valid.
Also helpful for some ranges should she ever want to go.

Yup....with the dickheads that run this State, it's better to be safe than sorry.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 1:44:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Renew! It's (unfortunately) a form of "prepper insurance" around here...
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 10:01:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Renew! It's (unfortunately) a form of "prepper insurance" around here...

Does she have an ID from a state other than Illinois? If so she doesn't need a FOID card, but I would keep it anyway, never know when you run into someone who doesn't realize that she doesn't need it, which is why I have one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top