Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2011 4:10:29 PM EDT
I should have looked into this earlier, but I have flight into DCA (Regan National) which is in the District of Columbia, not Virginia.
I had planned to bring a firearm on this trip with me and get a little range time after work.
I would be bringing a Glock with those evil "High Capacity" magazines and an hit-man's "silencer".
Am I in any legal jeopardy taking possession of my firearm and suppressor in the district of columbia instead of Virginia-proper where it's all legal?

I remember reading a case about a man whose flight through Newark was canceled. Although he was just supposed to layover in NEwark, the flight cancellation made him take possession of his gun(s) where the port authority arrested him for possession of firearm "non-compliant" with NJ's assinine rules.

I don't wanna be that guy in DC.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 4:15:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/24/2011 4:19:53 PM EDT by 07Commander]
Reagan Natl is in Arlington, not DC
Their website says they are in Arlington, their website lists an addy as DC but that must just be an office for mailing purposes. Google maps shows the DC boundary as skirting around the airport leaving it in Arlington VA
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 4:29:43 PM EDT
If your flying into DCA and staying in VA, that's one answer, if you plan to take it into DC because that's where your headed, that's where your going to have issues.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 4:52:54 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 07Commander:
Reagan Natl is in Arlington, not DC
Their website says they are in Arlington, their website lists an addy as DC but that must just be an office for mailing purposes. Google maps shows the DC boundary as skirting around the airport leaving it in Arlington VA

Correct. That said, don't take anything - not even a measly round of .22LR ammo - into Washington, DC.
Is your hotel in VA or DC?
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 5:01:38 PM EDT
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=38.852141,-77.028494&spn=0.048661,0.111494&z=14

You'll still be in VA. However, if you head north on the GW Parkway, you'll stroll into DC for about a mile.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 5:38:55 PM EDT
Originally Posted By davewvu86:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=38.852141,-77.028494&spn=0.048661,0.111494&z=14

You'll still be in VA. However, if you head north on the GW Parkway, you'll stroll into DC for about a mile.

Wow, I never realized that the traffic circle at the end of the bridge is actually on an island which makes it part of DC.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 7:00:25 PM EDT
Thanks for all the quick replies
My hotel & work site are both in Herndon - so I should be good to go
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 9:06:00 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Hoplophile:

Wow, I never realized that the traffic circle at the end of the bridge is actually on an island which makes it part of DC.

Yup. Columbia Island.
Link Posted: 4/24/2011 9:07:23 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Tyler_Durden:
Thanks for all the quick replies
My hotel & work site are both in Herndon - so I should be good to go

If you're in Herndon then you should be flying through Dulles. Dulles to Herndon is only few miles and you are not likely to hit much traffic. Reagan National to Herndon is 25 miles and you may encounter some very heavy traffic depending on time of day.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 1:30:07 AM EDT
If you're in Herndon then you should be flying through Dulles. Dulles to Herndon is only few miles and you are not likely to hit much traffic. Reagan National to Herndon is 25 miles and you may encounter some very heavy traffic depending on time of day.

I'm "chairman" on US Airways and even with the commute I still get in earlier than a corresponding flight arriving into Dulles.
Thanks again for all the help!
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 8:30:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Tyro:

Yup. Columbia Island.

Whoa! Never knew that. I do not like that piece of info.

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 6:42:28 AM EDT
Well as soon as you are on memorial bridge on 395 that is DC, lol ask me how I know......

Long story short there was an Arlington PD sitting where on 395 and Glebe Road intersection and it was around 2200 and I was heading to DC.
He followed me up to the PNT and turned the blues on, but there was no where to pull over once you past the PNT, so I finally found a spot to pull over but it was right at the beginning of the bridge past the exit for Boundry Channel Drive. he walks up to the my truck and asked me why I didnt stop and I said I did, but there was no safe place to pull over since there were no open emergency lanes, and then he asked me if I knew why he pulled me over and I said I had no clue, but I think he pulled me over for my tints, and he then well I cant give you a ticket cause you are out of our jurisdiction.

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 7:31:03 AM EDT
Originally Posted By BuddhaVA:
Well as soon as you are on memorial bridge on 395 that is DC, lol ask me how I know......
Yeah, normally when a boundary is a body of water we all assume that the actual boundary is somewhere out in the middle but in this case VA ends at teh southern edge of the Potomac river. All of the Potomac bridges are DC or MD territory and VA does not perform any maintenance on them (which explains the condition some of them are in). Any islands such as TR island are not in VA even though they are right there by the VA side and can only reached from VA. Even if you just wade a few feet into the water to cool your feet you are in DC or MD and subject to all of their laws.

Link Posted: 4/27/2011 6:11:44 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Quintanaroo:
Originally Posted By Tyro:

Yup. Columbia Island.

Whoa! Never knew that. I do not like that piece of info.

If only the FOPA actually meant something in DC...
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 10:01:44 AM EDT

11 years living here, and I didn't know that.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 5:03:49 PM EDT
If we want to get technical, if memory serves, there's a corner of the airport's property that is DC, but i believe that is because DC owns up to some line having to do with water (high water mark? flood plane? something like that, not coming to memory right now).
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:19:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/29/2011 10:35:56 AM EDT by brickeyee]
Originally Posted By JDC_VA_USMC:

But if you are on the GW Parkway driving it is a National Park and DC has no jurisdiction.

ETA

The legal boundaries in DC are very convoluted.

DC has the streets, but the National Park Service has the mall itself.

The Capitol Police have jurisdiction on the capitol grounds.

Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:06:40 AM EDT
There are also some funky jurisdictional issues with both the GW Parkway and the Airport area itself, which may be subject to WMATA gun guidelines or something. I'm forgetting the details.

Contact NRA-ILA for advice on traveling with firearms. I've transferred planes from Seattle to San Francisco to DCA without issue, including an AR15 inspection in SF (I forget why I had to do this).

Alaska Airlines is very, very good about flying with firearms, for obvious reasons - lotta hunters. At least, I've never had an issue with them.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 9:41:07 AM EDT
Originally Posted By brickeyee:

But if you are on the GW Parkway driving it is a National Park and DC has no jurisdiction.

ETA

Don't be lulled into a comfort zone because it's Federal Parkland. Be mindful that nearly all of those Federal law enforcement agencies that operate in the National Capital Region have memoranda of understanding providing them concurrent jurisdiction in the localities that bound their Federal areas of authority, as well as the statutory authority to enforce the laws of the state in which their area of authority lies. For example - run a stop sign on the Pentagon Reservation, the Pentagon Police will cite a Federal violation which references the relevant section of the Motor Vehicle Law of Virginia "by adoption." Beefing it requires a trip to the US Court House in Alexandria. Get caught with a firearm on the DC section of the George Washington Parkway, US Park Police will charge you with a Federal violation which references the DC law.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:02:02 PM EDT
Originally Posted By CPTSpaulding:
Originally Posted By brickeyee:

ETA

Don't be lulled into a comfort zone because it's Federal Parkland. Be mindful that nearly all of those Federal law enforcement agencies that operate in the National Capital Region have memoranda of understanding providing them concurrent jurisdiction in the localities that bound their Federal areas of authority, as well as the statutory authority to enforce the laws of the state in which their area of authority lies. For example - run a stop sign on the Pentagon Reservation, the Pentagon Police will cite a Federal violation which references the relevant section of the Motor Vehicle Law of Virginia "by adoption." Beefing it requires a trip to the US Court House in Alexandria. Get caught with a firearm on the DC section of the George Washington Parkway, US Park Police will charge you with a Federal violation which references the DC law.

Get as ticket on federal enclaves around Washington and be ready to appear in Federal Court to answer the chargers.

The CIA compound used to (and may still) hold monthly federal court in the building to dispose of traffic violations.

When Judge John Sirica had the rotation the classified cafeteria was jammed by folks just wanting to catch a glimpse or even shake his hand.

"cite a Federal violation which references the relevant section of the Motor Vehicle Law of Virginia "by adoption."

The fact the law is "by adoption" means it has been adopted.

If a federal law overrules a local law, the local law has no standing (especially before a federal court).

"Memoranda of understanding providing them concurrent jurisdiction" does not alter the law, it just allows for enforcement to cross boundaries.
You can only enforce the law of each jurisdiction.

DC law is NOT extend to NPS land by the memorandum.

Top Top