Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2009 5:50:11 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/3/2009 5:55:19 PM EST by jeffers_mz]
Just for the heck of it, post verified occurrances of unusual activity related to swine flu here.

Verified means maybe media reports, but we know they lie from time to time, family members who are in the medical LE or admin fields, real close friends with firsthand information or experiences, that sort of thing.

It will help keep track of what's really what if you include what happened, how many people are affected, what the original source of the info was, and how that info made its way to you. If you are slow posting it here, try to include a date and time the occurrance took place.

We probably won't need it, but it may help people find balance between media hype for ratings and verified ground truth.

Late last week, there was one report TV news, probably Fox, said we had one case way up north, Valpo or something.

Tonight Fox said two Indy schools are officially closed, Spring Mill Elementary and one PS school, number unknown.

What you got?
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 8:38:31 PM EST
Check out this site it tracks all the flu cases as they are reported. If the link doesnt work just search for EDIS RSOE it alows you to see a world map of all flu cases

hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/woalert.php?lang=eng
Link Posted: 5/6/2009 3:45:49 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/6/2009 3:46:18 AM EST by jeffers_mz]
Per Fox News:

PS 60 and Spring Mill Elementary (both in Indianapolis) to re-open tomorrow, Thursday, instead of Monday, after being cleared to re-open by CDC.

One new case reported in Tippecanoe County, Klondike Elementary, school will not close.

Drugs delivered by Feds are in place, ready for use.
Link Posted: 5/6/2009 5:54:21 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/6/2009 6:04:39 AM EST by pdg45acp]
Page A5 in the May 6th 2009 Kokomo Tribune.

Link Posted: 5/7/2009 5:20:31 AM EST
Originally Posted By pdg45acp:
Page A5 in the May 6th 2009 Kokomo Tribune.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m54/nfe6848m/Flumay609.jpg

Thanks.

Fox this am says 27 cases now confirmed in Indiana, 14 in Marion County, mostly ones and twos elsewhere except up around Ft Wayne and the region, NW Indiana.

With numbers this low, I;d expect to see static numbers for a period, then a big jump, then static numbers, etc. I don't see officials issuing a new press release every time a test comes back positive, so to me the jumps aren;t as worrisome as what a longer term graph will show, since it will smooth out the blips on the curve.

Hence this thread.

I'm cutting back on my moshe pits and orgies, getting errands done in one swoop rather than hitting different stores every single day, so i can avoid large groups for days at a time in case the rates spike suddenly, but I'm just not seeing any major threat at this time.

For now, it looks like normal flu to me.

If that changes, we should be well aware of it from the numbers and trends posted in this thread.

Link Posted: 5/11/2009 7:32:16 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/11/2009 7:35:52 AM EST by jeffers_mz]
Excerpt:

MONDAY, May 11 (HealthDay News) –– Confirmed cases of H1N1 swine flu in the United States climbed to more than 2,500 by Monday, and the U.S. now surpasses Mexico as the country most affected by the outbreak, according to World Health Organization figures.

The number of deaths in the United States linked to the illness rose to three over the weekend, with health officials in Washington state reporting late Saturday that an unidentified man in his 30s had succumbed to the infection.

In a state Department of Health news release, officials said the man, who had an underlying heart condition, died last week with what appeared to be complications from the swine flu, the Associated Press reported.

The man's death came after two prior fatal U.S. cases of swine flu: a 33-year-old woman in Texas, and a Mexican toddler who had been treated at a Texas hospital. Both of those individuals also had chronic underlying medical conditions.

The swine flu count in the United States now stands at 2,532 confirmed cases in 44 states, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said on Sunday. On Saturday, CDC officials said those numbers included 104 hospitalizations. The vast majority of cases are mild, however.

"We had expected more cases and we are continuing to find them," Dr. Anne Schuchat, interim deputy director for science and public health program at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said during a Saturday teleconference.

The jump in confirmed cases is partly due to the reduction in the backlog of testing for infections. But the number of confirmed cases is probably an underestimation of the total number of actual cases as the virus continues to spread, Schuchat said.

"Transmission here in the U.S. is ongoing. This is a very easily transmittable virus," she said. "Fortunately, the severity of illness that we're seeing, at this point, doesn't look as terrible as a category-five pandemic or the severely devastating impact some had feared. But influenza viruses are unpredictable and can change over time. Going forward, it's really important to us that we pay attention to how this virus may or may not change."

Because the new swine flu virus is a highly unusual genetic mix of bird, flu and human viruses, health officials worry that it could continue to mutate and return in a more virulent form for next winter's flu season.

And, while most of the infections continue to cause only mild illness, similar to the seasonal flu, and virtually all patients recover quickly and fully, federal officials warned Friday that the swine flu outbreak in the United States is far from over.

"I want to address an issue that's been concerning me, that has to do with a sense of having dodged a bullet, a sense that this is over," Dr. Richard Besser, the CDC's acting director, said during a Friday teleconference. "While we have seen a lot of encouraging news in terms of severity, we continue to see hundreds and hundreds of new cases each day," he said.

While the swine flu –– technically known as the H1N1 virus –– is similar to seasonal flu, there are some important differences, Besser said. "One thing we are seeing, unlike seasonal flu, a higher percentage seem to be having vomiting and diarrhea," he said.

Besser said last week that most new cases of swine flu in the United States are now caused by person-to-person transmission and not some link to Mexico, as was the case when the outbreak began more than two weeks ago. Mexico is believed to be the source of the outbreak.

Testing has found that the swine flu virus remains susceptible to two common antiviral drugs, Tamiflu and Relenza, according to the CDC.

So far, U.S. deaths linked to swine flu occurred in individuals with multiple underlying health problems, according to a CDC report released Thursday by the New England Journal of Medicine

http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20090511/hl_hsn/usnowleadsworldinswineflucases

There's also a chart at the link, showing cases and deaths state by state. Indiana's in the middle of the pack with 39 confirmed cases, but Illinois leads the nation with 487. Ohio and Kentucky are low teens, but Michigan is above average with 130 confirmed cases.

104 hospitalizations out of 2532 confirmed cases translates to a percentage rate of 4.1%, or 1 out of 24 cases that require a hospital stay.
Link Posted: 5/12/2009 6:29:24 AM EST
Fox news last night, said Indiana confirmed cases now at 61.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 2:42:19 PM EST
Rumor has it WHO wants to upgrade to level VI, full pandemic.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 7:48:02 AM EST
Rumor correct, Level 6 as of this morning:

Swine Flu Garners Pandemic Status [Level 6, and There Is No 7]
ABC News ^ | June 11, 2009 | Gitika Ahuja and Dan Childs

Posted on 06/11/2009 8:42:20 AM PDT by 2ndDivisionVet

The World Health Organization this morning formally declared that swine flu had reached the level of a full-blown pandemic, moving the viral outbreaks to phase 6 on the pandemic alert scale.

WHO Director-General Dr Margaret Chan met with flu experts at 6 a.m. ET today in Geneva to discuss the spread of the novel virus, and since Wednesday the escalation to the highest level of pandemic
alert had been widely anticipated.

The move reflects the continued spread of the virus around the globe, despite quarantines, school closings and other measures designed to keep it in check. Swine flu is the first official influenza pandemic in
more than 40 years.

However, public health experts say there's no reason for the public to be more concerned about the virus today than yesterday; indeed, it is unlikely that much will change at all for the general public.

"From a macro view, the main actions defined for WHO phase 5 are the same as those for phase 6," said Dr. Julie Gerberding, former director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
"However, individual countries and communities may have conditioned key tactical and operational steps of their response to the WHO phases, so there could be significant local, regional, or national impact.
Technically, we have been in phase 6 for some time."

"When you hear this announcement, and your children are with you, main thing is to reassure kids not really all that much is going to change unless things get more severe," Dr. Irwin Redlener of the Columbia
University Mailman School of Public Health in New York, told "Good Morning America."

Other infectious disease experts were quick to point out that the pandemic designation refers to the spread of a disease –– not its severity.

link
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:58:02 AM EST
It's impossible to know, but I'm curious how many people have had this flu, but didn't seek medical attention so that it was reported.

I'm pretty sure several members of my family had it (including me), but our symptoms were mild and did not require medical attention. The timing and the symptoms we did have (fever, chills, body aches, etc. all the classic flu stuff) were too close to be coincidental. I'm hoping that's what we had, since we're all immune to that strain now.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:09:18 PM EST
Top Top