Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 5:56:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

if you offer to let people drive in the night before and camp, you'd get increased attendance from people outside the area.  You get enough people doing that, you could name the march the next day The Hangover Games
View Quote
I like the way you think...
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 7:52:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Can y'all think about planning a ruck near Escambia County during the weekend of 26-27 SEP?  I'll be in Pensacola and I'd love to share some misery with y'all.  I know the panhandle might be a long shot, but beers would be on me for the entire crew, if it happens.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 9:28:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 8:39:26 PM EDT
[#4]
No Key West chapters to allow a NOVA Battle Buddy to join in while I'm here for a week?
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 10:25:23 PM EDT
[#5]
List updated with @Signal_Zero and @Bowhntr6pt
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 10:43:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Can y'all think about planning a ruck near Escambia County during the weekend of 26-27 SEP?  I'll be in Pensacola and I'd love to share some misery with y'all.  I know the panhandle might be a long shot, but beers would be on me for the entire crew, if it happens.
View Quote
@BOOST

There’s a little node forming in Pensacola right now. You could probably convince @DamonSriv to get one rolling
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 10:47:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
No Key West chapters to allow a NOVA Battle Buddy to join in while I'm here for a week?
View Quote
You’d end up rucking into the ocean
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 6:11:18 PM EDT
[#8]
One more for the Tampa Bay area here. Hopefully I'll see y'all on the 22nd. Also, there are a few places a little north of Tampa that could work well - Flatwoods Park has a roughly 7-mile paved loop with several additional unpaved trails running throughout. Hillsborough River State Park also has a lot of more natural hiking opportunities ranging from 1-6 miles and with varying levels of difficulty.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 9:14:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You’d end up rucking into the ocean
View Quote
There was a decent stretch of sea wall that I was able to run six miles on.  Saw plenty of "Come and Take It" stickers on trucks, so there have got to be some like minded people down there.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 12:07:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
One more for the Tampa Bay area here. Hopefully I'll see y'all on the 22nd. Also, there are a few places a little north of Tampa that could work well - Flatwoods Park has a roughly 7-mile paved loop with several additional unpaved trails running throughout. Hillsborough River State Park also has a lot of more natural hiking opportunities ranging from 1-6 miles and with varying levels of difficulty.
View Quote
Added to the list
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 4:39:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
We are working on a Panhandle group.  As time gets closer, I think we can arrange a hike on that day.  I Myself will likely be doing my day job in Alaska when it happens, but I hope by then we have a  crew established that can handle the logistics.

Speaking of hikes for the panhandle, im posting one up here in a few for 2 weeks from now.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 10:50:37 AM EDT
[#12]
North Broward here, and I would be down for events in the area. This is my busy season so my schedule is pretty tight, only really off Sunday.

I'm also a poor and have a barely working death trap for transportation, long trips would be an issue until I can give my truck some love.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 12:15:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
North Broward here, and I would be down for events in the area. This is my busy season so my schedule is pretty tight, only really off Sunday.

I'm also a poor and have a barely working death trap for transportation, long trips would be an issue until I can give my truck some love.
View Quote
Added
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 9:20:20 PM EDT
[#14]
@leftytheking
I'm in the Ocala area most weekends, but work in Tampa during the week.
I could conceivably make Jax, Orlando or Tampa events.
Thanks, Inimicalone
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 10:12:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
@leftytheking
I'm in the Ocala area most weekends, but work in Tampa during the week.
I could conceivably make Jax, Orlando or Tampa events.
Thanks, Inimicalone
View Quote
Added
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 11:00:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Added
View Quote
I am very glad to see Arfcommers taking charge in their AO and making events happen. If you hold an event, people will come!

It might only be 4 people, might be a dozen, but keep the momentum going and attendance WILL grow.

In the Tampa Bay area, we are considering making this a standing monthly event and rotating it back and forth between Pinellas County (Gulf side of the bay with Clearwater and St Pete) and the Tampa side, and picking new hiking locations each time.  That way, no side of this 4 million-people area is left out, and it is convenient for people from Gainesville, Orlando, even Jacksonville to join us at Tampa-side events.

We are seeing a lot of interest in Arfcommers from across the state attending each others events.  Consider starting your events at 0900 or 0930  so out-of-towners are more likely to make a 2-hour trip to join you.  Camaraderie and networking can and should be more than just in your local AO.  Our Largo hike this pst weekend had folks from hours away, including Pasco County, Jacksonville, Tallahassee, and Miami.  Now those guys are starting their own events in their AO.  Good stuff!
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 1:02:35 PM EDT
[#17]
New FLBB event:  Tampa-area hike 14 Mar 20 at 0900, location TBD

Please post in that thread if you intend to come so we can get a tentative headcount.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 11:20:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 11:23:45 AM EDT
[#19]
excellent, thanks!
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 2:35:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Excellent!  Good to have all these in one place.  As stated above, please respond in the below thread for a headcount.

FLBB Hike - Miami - 08 Mar 2020
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 10:30:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 3:33:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Current state schedule:

North Region

PANHANDLE
22 FEB, 0900

JACKSONVILLE
16 FEB, 0900
29 MAR, 0900

TALLAHASSEE
N/A

Central Region

GAINESVILLE/OCALA
18 APR, 0930

ORLANDO
29 FEB, 0930

TAMPA
22 FEB, 1300
14 MAR, 0900

South Region

MIAMI
08 MAR, 0900

PORT CHARLOTTE
N/A

Other
@Bowhntr6pt Carbine/Pistol Class, Aucilla near Tallahassee:
21-22 MAR (full)
18-19 APR (full)

Not sure about a locations list yet. I’ll get to it one of these days. Also thinking we’ll do a master list of AAR comments as we learn.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 8:43:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
In...I’m in Pompano Beach...have gear will travel.
View Quote
Also in Pompton.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 3:59:22 PM EDT
[#24]
I went out today and scouted the Yearling Trail in the Ocala Forest.  I found a route that is 6.1 miles long, beautiful scenery, mostly straw covered hard pack trail, really nice.  This is a big loop, so the idea for this one would be for one of our 6 mile qualifiers for people who have already completed the first steps.

I am going to post a thread with a detailed OPORD and trail conditions report later this afternoon,  but I'm looking at setting this one in Mid-April, either the 11th or the 18th depending on what works best for people.  The 11th is Easter weekend, those with kids might have plans so give me input in that thread as to which weekend will work best.

The Yearling Trail is around 2 hours from Orlando, Tampa, and Jacksonville city centers.  Florida Hikes Link

Date Set for the 18th barring any problems.

FLBB OCALA FOREST HIKE 4-18-2020
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 6:48:30 PM EDT
[#25]
NE FL battle buddies hike scheduled for March 29, 2020 at 0900 at the Baldwin Rail Trail. Please see the main posting for more details
NE FL Hike 03/29
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 1:56:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Schedule updated
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 8:21:26 PM EDT
[#27]
The next hike for the Miami chapter of FLBB: FLBB / APC Hike - Markham Park, Broward County - 22 Mar 2020 @ 0900

I'm holding this at Markham to give better access for Broward and Palm Beach, as well as to give our Port Charlotte brethren a shot at it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 3:09:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 2:53:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Tagscribed.

I'm in Fort Lauderdale.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 5:20:08 PM EDT
[#30]
It doesn't count as thread necromancy if it's pinned!

I feel like the pandemic definitely put a damper on things, and I'm sure everyone's looking forward to trying to do the rucking thing in the upcoming summer weather, but how's everyone feeling about getting things going again as these lockdown orders start lifting?
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 11:16:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 11:57:27 AM EDT
[#32]
We're due for a Tampa-area hike in June, what are your thoughts on that place we did in North Tampa, Lettuce Lake Conservation Park again?

I have a steel plate and 11 pins/screws in my left leg that are acting up for the first time in 19 years, so I can hike but it's gonna be with much-reduced weight
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 12:04:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 12:33:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It was a good hike area. Little bit of variety in scenery, the birdge was a nice up hill hike, etc.... I enjoyed it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We're due for a Tampa-area hike in June, what are your thoughts on that place we did in North Tampa, Lettuce Lake Conservation Park again?

I have a steel plate and 11 pins/screws in my left leg that are acting up for the first time in 19 years, so I can hike but it's gonna be with much-reduced weight
It was a good hike area. Little bit of variety in scenery, the birdge was a nice up hill hike, etc.... I enjoyed it.

you're thinking of John S. Taylor Park.  This other park (Lettuce Lake) was very well-shaded, wide asphalt path, about a 1-mile loop, so we did the loop several times.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 3:22:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Yeah - that was up and down the Pinellas Trail. Lettuce Lake is in northern Hillsborough county and has a short well-shaded paved loop. It has some varying elevation but nothing as bad as going up and down those overpass bridges.

Lettuce Lake would be fine, especially for me as that's like 10-15min south, but I had sent you something a while back about trying to do it on the Upper Tampa Bay Trail maybe. I'll see if I can find that info a little later and update.

Also, Flatwoods might be good for a hard-mode hike if we get enough interest. The main loop is a 7-mile paved trail so we could do a single lap and be done. It also has several smaller unpaved trails crisscrossing all through it but I'd have to look closer at them to see if there's a viable route through.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 9:06:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Just give me a time and location and I will be there.
This damn chinese flu/Riot insanity has kept me from doing any of the things I have been planning. I have to get out and about and put some miles on my feet.
Fo dog jr. said he misses it too.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 9:59:49 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm thinking we need a 6-mile loop so we aren't scaring the sheeple/normies.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 4:39:12 PM EDT
[#38]
There are places we can do loops, even loops away from spectators but these mean walking on dirt/sand. That adds a bit of effort. And sweat, it is getting hot ya know.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 7:14:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
There are places we can do loops, even loops away from spectators but these mean walking on dirt/sand. That adds a bit of effort. And sweat, it is getting hot ya know.
View Quote

Where?

You are right about the heat and humidity, we may have to shift to a 0800 start time
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 11:01:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Terra Ceia has a few loops which could be used to make a 6 miler, Myakka would be easy to make whatever length needed. I kinda remember more but I will have to research it a bit more.
Of course these are in the Bradenton/Sarasota area and may be a bit far for some to drive.
IIRC

For the really adventurous this is a good one. Only 4.4 miles round trip, would have to add a bit of milling around to get to 6 miles and access is limited but the turn around point is not to be missed.
Deep Hole

I found a few more may be places here but I know nothing about them.
Florida Hikes.

Allegedly there is a part of the Florida trail in our area but I can't find out much about it. I have seem the trail markers in Myakka but I will be damned if I can find much more than a casual mention anywhere.

ETA; I will try to scout some of these out as soon as the monsoons pass.
ETA Pt II; Alafia state park is mainly for mountain bikers (I have ridden there) but all trails are open for hiking. Over 20 miles of trails over all sorts of terrain from easy to I'll wait for search and rescue levels. IIRC plenty of parking and a small fee to get in.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 11:13:50 AM EDT
[#41]
Tagging for info and to express interest.

I am in Pinellas County.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 11:47:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Let's plan on June 27th for a Tampa/Pinellas hike.  Location TBD, preferably Hillsborough County or something convenient to Tampa residents since we did the last one in Pinellas County.

Given the heat, let's plan on meeting at 0800 and stepping off before 0830.

Watch this thread for upcoming link to a thread about this June 27th hike.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 12:13:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Check out Upper Tampa Bay Trail, Channel Park Trailhead. Just off Waters Ave, a little west of Sheldon Road. All major road crossings are underpasses, one minor crossing of Gardner Rd at the very end if we go 3 miles out from start. After that crossing there's a solid mile of straight northward trail until we get to Citrus Park Drive. Maybe bring a mask, as about 1/3 of the trail route winds around the outer perimeter of a Hillsborough County solid waste transfer station. Also, Big Cat rescue is nearby toward the end of the larger route, so, uh... Be on the lookout for tigers, I guess.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 12:14:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Check out Upper Tampa Bay Trail, Channel Park Trailhead. Just off Waters Ave, a little west of Sheldon Road. All major road crossings are underpasses, one minor crossing of Gardner Rd at the very end if we go 3 miles out from start. After that crossing there's a solid mile of straight northward trail until we get to Citrus Park Drive. Maybe bring a mask, as about 1/3 of the trail route winds around the outer perimeter of a Hillsborough County solid waste transfer station. Also, Big Cat rescue is nearby toward the end of the larger route, so, uh... Be on the lookout for tigers, I guess.
View Quote

Good location, new thread here, 27 Jun 20 at 0800.
Link Posted: 7/25/2020 10:00:29 AM EDT
[#45]
I’m two months out from our vacation to Florida.

Anybody in the panhandle interested in meeting up for a ruck out on the Pensacola Beach peninsula?  There’s a perfect 3-mile-long stretch of road between two parking lots that we can use as markers for the start / finish as well as the turnaround point. It wouldn’t require staging vehicles at different locations, and we could walk in the sand or on the dunes for a bit extra challenge.

Anyone local want to take lead on organizing this?  I’m willing to assist in any way that is requested, but thought it would be best if a local guy is the point of contact.

The ideal date for me would be 26 SEP 2020, but I’m just one guy.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/28/2020 10:03:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Any updates/AARs for Jax?

I'm back home in Tampa Bay frequently but am living in Durty Duval these days.
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 11:17:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I’m two months out from our vacation to Florida.

Anybody in the panhandle interested in meeting up for a ruck out on the Pensacola Beach peninsula?  There’s a perfect 3-mile-long stretch of road between two parking lots that we can use as markers for the start / finish as well as the turnaround point. It wouldn’t require staging vehicles at different locations, and we could walk in the sand or on the dunes for a bit extra challenge.

Anyone local want to take lead on organizing this?  I’m willing to assist in any way that is requested, but thought it would be best if a local guy is the point of contact.

The ideal date for me would be 26 SEP 2020, but I’m just one guy.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/79706/0CD5691C-8791-4E57-A398-3D93BCEF0A25_png-1518521.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/79706/1C01F45B-CF8A-476D-813F-6E45A6DE9B85_png-1518522.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/79706/0C0B3299-D695-46A5-90E9-47A5A9F432CF_png-1518523.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/79706/9141C185-175A-43C5-BDCF-12383450084A_png-1518524.JPG

View Quote

I'm a little further east and north of Eglin, but if you need someone to ruck with, I should be available.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 9:13:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I'm a little further east and north of Eglin, but if you need someone to ruck with, I should be available.
View Quote

Thanks!

About 1.5 weeks to go until I’m down in Florida.

Is anyone else interested in doing a ruck in Pensacola on 26 SEP?
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 6:21:53 PM EDT
[#49]
How about the morning of Saturday, Oct 3 for a six-mile Tampa Bay hike? Show up 0830, step off 0850-0900?
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 1:13:38 PM EDT
[#50]
I’m scheduling a hike for the northeast chapter of the APC on Sunday October 11 at 9 AM in Jennings State Forest.

Here is the event page
NE FL Hike 10/11 9 AM

@Pinochet727
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top