Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2005 11:24:19 PM EDT
Last weekend I took my Mother to AC.  She had enough Comps to get a free room.  And as I drove past the Farley Rest Stop I noticed that the flags were lower than usual.  I’m not sure but I think I saw that the flags were at Half Mast at the 50¢ Toll Booths just before AC itself.

Did I miss something in the papers or what?

PS.  She made a very tidy profit from The Donald.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:37:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Peter Rodino died and the Acting gov ordered half mast
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:46:21 AM EDT
[#2]
http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/05/08/obit.rodino.reut/

Peter Rodino, who led Nixon investigation, dies

Sunday, May 8, 2005 Posted: 7:46 AM EDT (1146 GMT)

NEWARK, New Jersey (Reuters) -- Peter Rodino, the House Judiciary Committee chairman who directed the impeachment investigation of President Richard Nixon, died Saturday at his New Jersey home. He was 95.

Rodino, a 20-term Democrat first elected in 1948, died of congestive heart failure at his West Orange home Saturday morning, said Christine Quinn Bland, a spokeswoman for Seton Hall University Law School.

Rodino was a professor at the school after retiring from Congress in 1989, and he continued to work as a guest lecturer until very recently, Bland said.

Rodino became the Judiciary Committee chairman in 1973, just before the beginning of its impeachment hearings into an abuse-of-power and cover-up scandal stemming from the 1972 burglary at the Watergate Hotel in Washington.

The committee's inquiry was the first impeachment investigation of a president in more than 100 years. The panel approved three articles of impeachment shortly before Nixon stepped down in disgrace in August 1974.

Rodino also helped steer civil rights and voting rights legislation to passage in the House and was instrumental in making civil rights leader Martin Luther King's birthday a national holiday, according to a Seton Hall biography.

Rodino is survived by his wife, Joy, two children, three grandchildren and three great-grandchildren. His first wife, Maryann, predeceased him. A funeral service is tentatively scheduled for May 16 at St. Lucy's Church in Newark.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:18:08 AM EDT
[#3]
The acting governer also ordered half mast for a marine who died in Iraq who was from NJ, it came across to my police department through a teletype.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:56:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I like that, the Marine deserves it....Semper Fi
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 1:25:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, that was what I wanted to know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top