BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2008 11:50:33 PM EDT
Link

Five indicted in Seattle for enslaving Afghan girl

05:38 PM PDT on Wednesday, October 15, 2008

KING / KING5.com Staff

SEATTLE – Five people living in South King County pleaded not guilty in federal court in Seattle Wednesday after allegedly enslaving a 16-year-old girl from Afghanistan.

According to the indictment, Mohammad Atahee married the girl when she was 13 in Afghanistan, then moving to the U.S. He is accused of beating and sexually assaulting the girl at a home in Federal Way.

Atahee and his co-defendants are also accused of coercing the girl, called “JV1” in court documents, into forced labor at the Federal Way home and at a home in Auburn.
Related Content

The others charged in the conspiracy are Nasima Yousuf, Mohammad Yousuf, Nahid Yousufi and Maruf Yousufi. All four are in some way related to each other, but none are a known blood relation to Atahee or the girl.

The indictment says “JV1” was forced to cook, clean and do laundry for Atahee and the Yousufis, as well as perform child care. Documents say Atahee also routinely beat and sexually assaulted the girl between August 2006 and January 2008.

Three of five defendants appear at the federal courthouse in Seattle on Wednesday, Oct. 15, 2008. They're accused of bringing a teenage girl from Afghanistan to the U.S. and forcing her into domestic slave labor.

Prosecutors say on Aug. 6, 2006, Atahee assaulted the girl. She reported it to Federal Way Police. Court documents say Nahid Yousufi then threatened the girl with deportation and threatened to hurt her family if she didn’t recant her statement to police. She recanted and returned to Atahee.

On January 26 of this year, prosecutors say Atahee sexually assaulted the girl. She again reported the attack to Federal Way Police. Prosecutors say Nahid Yousufi lied to Child Protective Services, telling them the girl was 24-years-old in order to have the girl returned to Atahee.

“Most tragically, she was required to live with this man who the family had her marry in Afghanistan and brought her over. But this man is nearly 20 years her senior, and as a result of forcing her to work for the family, he also physically and sexually assaulted her,” said prosecutor Ye-Ting Woo.

The girl has been removed from the home and is in an undisclosed location. She is said to be doing OK considering the circumstances.

All five defendants, who are legal immigrants, pleaded not guilty to charges of forced labor. One defendant exclaimed "They’re all lies!" If convicted, all five face up to four years in prison and deportation.

Prosecutors accuse Nasima Yousuf and Nahid Yousufi of arranging the marriage between the then 13-year-old and Atahee in the summer of 2005. Because the marriage was not recognized by U.S. authorities, the suspects allegedly told U.S. embassy officials that the girl was Nasima Yousuf’s own daughter in order to obtain a visa.

Four years?  That's it?
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 5:09:34 AM EDT
[#1]
The way newspapers sensationalize and distort gun stories, the truth probably goes... "Arranged third world marriage, young girl learns of new world with Wal-Mart & Cell phones, tells prosecutor wild tale of depravity".

King County= men bad, these guys are done, guilty.

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 5:40:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Cav's probably closer to the truth than the papers. But, my concern is that all these people coming from third world type countries feel free to import whatever customs they like. Well, guess what? In America, we don't accept child rape, arranged "marriages", or killing our daughters over dating rules. If your country is fuktup, stay there and fix it. If YOU are fuktup, stay home. Wanna play on my fied, gotta play by my rules. I have no problem with people being different. But, some pretense of assimilation goes a long way on my acceptance meter.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:20:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I had to do chores too.  I shoulda sued.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:22:48 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I had to do chores too.  I shoulda sued.

Oh well, you still have buttsecks with men twice your age, so, you're gtg.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:46:00 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Oh well, you still have buttsecks with men twice your age, so, you're gtg.

you wish!
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:08:57 AM EDT
[#6]
no surprise there. In before "discrimination" is cried!

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:57:45 AM EDT
[#7]
so, she's doing the same thing as almost every other girl her age back home?
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 7:58:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Sad thing is, this type of shit is usually par for the course in most Islamic countries.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 10:58:41 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
so, she's doing the same thing as almost every other girl her age back home?
That's what I was thinking. The only difference is that it's happening here, so she's going to try and do something about it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 11:01:00 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Sad thing is, this type of shit is usually par for the course in most Islamic countries.  

That's my point. Leave that silly shit back in Mudhutland. Assimilate, you dumbfux. Assimilate...............................or leave.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:15:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Cav's probably closer to the truth than the papers. But, my concern is that all these people coming from third world type countries feel free to import whatever customs they like. Well, guess what? In America, we don't accept child rape, arranged "marriages", or killing our daughters over dating rules. If your country is fuktup, stay there and fix it. If YOU are fuktup, stay home. Wanna play on my fied, gotta play by my rules. I have no problem with people being different. But, some pretense of assimilation goes a long way on my acceptance meter.

What he said!
My family learned English, and became productive Americans.  A lot of military service.  Sure, they still speak Illocano amongst each other, but other than my grandmother who was like 70 when she moved here, they speak English when they walk into a store instead of demanding that the store have translators.  And my grandmother would have one of her kids or grandkids with her to translate.  It is possible to keep some of your culture, and heritage, without making a "little Mexico," or "little Somalia," or what the fuck ever.
You or your parents or whomever left that country for a reason.  So leave the bad shit behind, accept the culture of where you freaking CHOSE to move to, or move the fuck back.
If you ask me what nationality I am, I well flat out say, American.  Period, full stop.  Then I'll start in with my mini-lecture about nationality versus ethnicity.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top