Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 6/25/2015 10:40:15 AM EDT
Now that my pond has gone from a sad little mud puddle to a healthy 14' deep mosquito summer resort I'd like to start adding some fish...

Anyone know of a good stocking company in the Wimberley / San Marcos area?

From what I'm reading I need a butt load of minnows to kick things off... Currently no fish population but at one time there was.. Enough that the local kids would come to fish it..

Have a air pump / defusers ordered and should be here this week...

New to this.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 12:24:11 PM EDT
Our local feed store has "fish" days. The company gives them to you to take home.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 12:28:24 PM EDT
Definitely check your local feed/tack stores. There is usually a cork board with people's business cards for pretty much everything you can think of.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 3:18:19 PM EDT
You need to start with some Mosquito Fish - little guppy looking fish that will breed like rabbits (feeding larger fish), and eat the skeeters. Pretty much any time you see small fish in a drainage ditch or small pond, some of them are Mosquito Fish.

CMOS
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 7:45:10 AM EDT
Check out Pond Boss forum, these guys are the AR15 of stock ponds and are Texas based. Todd Overton is one of the more knowledgeable fish distributors. There is one near me on 77 just north of Giddings called "Larrys fish farm", thats where I usually get my fish.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 9:23:20 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Sgt911:
Check out Pond Boss forum, these guys are the AR15 of stock ponds and are Texas based. Todd Overton is one of the more knowledgeable fish distributors. There is one near me on 77 just north of Giddings called "Larrys fish farm", thats where I usually get my fish.
View Quote

Mrs.InkyNwG asked me why I got all quite last night... Told her I had found the Arfcom of pond sites and was reading...

That's the one I found, lots of good stuff there.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 12:26:25 PM EDT
You will want the plankton to come up, then put in gambusia, which someone has already mentioned. From there, maybe this fall you could stock some game fish. If you are ordering a lot of fish and having them delivered, many of the companies won't deliver till the weather cools off.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 3:06:19 PM EDT
Originally Posted By refidnasb:
You will want the plankton to come up, then put in gambusia, which someone has already mentioned. From there, maybe this fall you could stock some game fish. If you are ordering a lot of fish and having them delivered, many of the companies won't deliver till the weather cools off.
View Quote

Good point. Get some Mosquito fish in there now. Let them establish and reproduce so the new "real" fish have some food.

CMOS
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 5:50:50 PM EDT
Was t planning on any "real " fish until a year or so down the line once the food chain works itself out...

Thanks for the info guys!
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:40:22 AM EDT
Originally Posted By NwG:
Was t planning on any "real " fish until a year or so down the line once the food chain works itself out...

Thanks for the info guys!
View Quote

I know people recommend that, but my back tank went completely dry in 2011 I dug it out. When it filled the next year it I just bought the flathead minnows, catfish, bass, perch & hybrid perch and threw them in at the same time. It seem to work fine. I also put 10lbs of tilapia per acre in each year. I talked to Larry, at Larrys fish farm yesterday and he does have fish on hand. If you want feed trained bass, there is a place in Bryan called "the bait barn" I put a couple dozen in about ten years ago and it is quite a sight to see six and seven pound bass come up and eat Aquamax largemouth food.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:57:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/28/2015 8:58:32 AM EDT by zach_]
One home owner that I did business with out by Canton had to get a permit for their pond build that involved the TP&W (Texas Parks and Wildlife). TP&W did the whole stocking thing after providing his contractor specific instruction (plans) on everything, and told him not to touch it for 18 months. They came out every few weeks to test and chew the fat. It looked great the last time I was there to replace some wire that he dug up before checking our (my) wire map. Some folks should not own a Bobcat.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:12:13 PM EDT
Overton fishery did my lake, impressed with the attention that went into the project. He stocked mud minnows, three types of bass, blue gill, red-ear sunfish and blue catfish over a period of several weeks. Fertilized the lake, which I had never heard of, and made return trips to check on progress.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:17:25 PM EDT
Thanks for the input guys..

Not a huge pond.. Maybe 1/4 acre surface... And 12-15' deep at the deepest..

I used to spend a lot of time designing and building very large salt water reef tanks for personal and commercial use... I am not unfamiliar with what it takes to keep an aquatic Eco system healthy but I am completely new to freshwater...

Need to get the air system in before I do anything else.. Had planned on scraping the pond and doing a few other things but then it filled up one night...

im going swimming..
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:17:04 PM EDT
These guys will give solid advice and deliver. They also have sales from time to time. http://www.dunnsfishfarm.com/default.htm
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:28:28 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Sgt911:
View Quote

Who are the M4C of stock ponds?
Top Top