Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2010 5:05:18 PM EDT
I put a shotgun of mine on the Classifieds here and have a buyer. Thing is I don't know the first thing about shipping a firearm through UPS or FedEx, I've went on their websites but nothing on there really helped me out any. So if anyone on here has done it before please help, and how much did it cost you to ship?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 8:32:30 PM EDT
[#1]
You send it to their FFL. Send it UPS. It has to be done at a hub. The UPS Store will not ship firearms.  Simply address it to the FFL of their choice and put a letter in it explaining who the item is for so the FFL knows what it is. Doesn't hurt to call the FFL and let them know it is on the way either.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 8:46:46 PM EDT
[#2]
That sounds simple enough. I knew about how you couldn't ship from the store, do you know if  "Authorized Shipping Outlets" or "UPS Alliance Locations" are allowed to ship it?
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 1:30:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
That sounds simple enough. I knew about how you couldn't ship from the store, do you know if  "Authorized Shipping Outlets" or "UPS Alliance Locations" are allowed to ship it?

Nope.

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html?srch_pos=1&srch_phr=firearms

You can ship a firearm (excluding handguns), from a UPS daily pickup account, UPS On-Call Pickup, One-Time Pickup, or a UPS Customer Center. Note: Firearms are not accepted for shipment through UPS Internet Shipping, UPS Drop Boxes, or at The UPS Store or any third party retailer.

Also, call the FFL you are shipping to and make sure they will accept a shipment from an non-FFL.  Some won't, even though it is legal, some just don't like doing it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 11:55:59 AM EDT
[#4]

Also, call the FFL you are shipping to and make sure they will accept a shipment from an non-FFL.  Some won't, even though it is legal, some just don't like doing it.

He is correct, although I made the assumtion that the buyer would have already done this part.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:59:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I have shipped complete firearms, stripped receivers, and various other parts via UPS through Pak Mail without a problem.

There may have been som epolicy change that you cant do that anymore, but it might be worth calling Pak Mail if there is one closer than your UPS Hub.

-BDHershey
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 3:16:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I usually ship long guns via US Post office. Make sure that the FFl will take it from an individual.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:21:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

He is correct, although I made the assumtion that the buyer would have already done this part.

NEVER assume that the buyer has done his part. CALL the FFL Before hand to make sure.  People will just ship stuff directly all of the time to save on the FFL fees on their end. It really has a tendency to piss off dealers when a gun arrives and it is not from an FFL.       Just my 2 cents after seeing a dealer friend of mine get really pissed about guns coming in from non dealers and not even a full name and address included to show who the gun really came from.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 7:07:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Have the purchaser send you a copy of a signed FFL where the long gun is to be sent. Use ATF FFL EZ-Check to verify the FFL. Make a copy of the FFL, record the transaction on both copies of the FFL, who purchased it, serial number, make and model shipped. Package that gun up, take it to the Post Office and ship it Priority Mail with Signature Required delivery. Be sure to insure it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 9:23:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Have the purchaser send you a copy of a signed FFL where the long gun is to be sent. Use ATF FFL EZ-Check to verify the FFL. Make a copy of the FFL, record the transaction on both copies of the FFL, who purchased it, serial number, make and model shipped. Package that gun up, take it to the Post Office and ship it Priority Mail with Signature Required delivery. Be sure to insure it.

Bold part is not required at all. Call the FFL, get the public numbers from there FFL and use the EZ check website to confirm you are shipping to a current/valid FFL. Continue on.

Link Posted: 3/11/2010 11:18:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Handguns have to go Next-Day Air via UPS... get ready to pay out your ass if you need to ship a handgun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top