Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 8/7/2014 1:18:04 PM EDT
I've been lurking for a few years, and after meeting catfishhunter at a recent combat match, decided I had a reason to sign up and post.
Had a question about using an AR pistol for deer, but re-read the regs and answered my own question. So guess I'll just say hello.
Going to build an AR pistol soon. Already ordered my KAK tube and SB15 just to be safe. Still trying to decide between .223 and 300BLK.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 3:37:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 4:17:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I suggest an area pistol in 10 mm, its on the list of approved hunting calibers.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 9:24:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for the offer Nick, unfortunately I work Saturday and cannot be in Montezuma. Already hating life for not being able to go, now double.
On the AR for deer when going back to verify minimum calibers, I noticed the no shoulder stock provision. That defeats my wish to use the SB15, as I don't want to be the one to duke it out with the dnr, letter of the the law legal or not.
I believe I've talked myself into the 300blackout for a pistol, as it sounds all around more pleasant to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 9:47:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you for the offer Nick, unfortunately I work Saturday and cannot be in Montezuma. Already hating life for not being able to go, now double.
On the AR for deer when going back to verify minimum calibers, I noticed the no shoulder stock provision. That defeats my wish to use the SB15, as I don't want to be the one to duke it out with the dnr, letter of the the law legal or not.
I believe I've talked myself into the 300blackout for a pistol, as it sounds all around more pleasant to shoot.
View Quote

Have you considered writing a letter to the Dnr about the legality?
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 7:28:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Welcome to the IHTF.  It was nice to meet and have a chance to shoot with you.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:00:56 AM EDT
[#6]
welcome.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 10:23:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm curious what caliber you were thinking of using for pistol hunting in Iowa. Every time I think about building a pistol for this, that specific list of approved calibers by the DNR stops my fun. Most of them approved are old school wheel gun calibers.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:37:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I was thinking 300 blackout would meet the min. Caliber limit, but was confusing pistol and rifle regs, which is what I went to doublecheck, when I discovered the shoulder stock attachment ban as well.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top