Posted: 8/8/2005 5:31:01 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:25:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:32:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Is this a welfare give away?

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:43:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Welfare giveaway????    NOT AT ALL.  Just a better way to earn your merit badge for the year!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:02:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Apparently.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:36:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Geez people.  Isn't this the exact opposite of welfare?  It's an opportunity to volunteer to help someone less fortunate in your community.  No complusary redistribution of wealth to some nameless/faceless cheat.  A real face, real family that could use some help.

Count me in.  The link in your post just takes the main board.  Can you IM me some details?  Circumstances will determine if my contribution is sweat or $.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:34:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I would say not, it is not enforced altruism, a principle tenant of communism and the foundation of welfare, but a plea for charity; charity I love and god bless the charitable, being made to be charitable causes me considerable ass pain. The link in the original post is broken so I have no idea what you are asking Striker but I am more than likely willing to contribute some time, please provide more information.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:19:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would say not, it is not enforced altruism, a principle tenant of communism and the foundation of welfare, but a plea for charity; charity I love and god bless the charitable, being made to be charitable causes me considerable ass pain. The link in the original post is broken so I have no idea what you are asking Striker but I am more than likely willing to contribute some time, please provide more information.

I agree, I would not mind donating time.

Money, on the other hand, I do not feel I should be asked for here. I already paid for the membership and face advertisers posting in the technical forums. Now we have Site Staff asking for donation money in hometown forums. I have been on this site for quite some time and have seen this all too much.

I am going to follow Patty's situation because I think I may be able to donate some time given her area. BUT! My membership is up for renewal and I will not be renewing it because I'm tired of feeling like I am always being asked for money from this site, site staff, advertisers in tech forums, and from other members who always have a charity going on.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:33:55 AM EDT
[#8]
You guys talk of this like it is some conspiricy and that just pisses me off.  The link is not visible to "members" becuase it was posted in the team forum, a membership is needed to visit that part of the site.

The donation part?  Was put up as a suggestion by some members because they wanted to help but due to location or scheduling conflicts could not.  So they asked if they could donate 5 or 10 to help with the cause.

This is not a pitty party or some scam so please do not lump it in with what you feel is wrong with this site.

If you want to know more about it just IM Patty and she will tell ya, and if you dont want to them IM me.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:19:43 PM EDT
[#9]
What area of Or is she in?

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:28:32 PM EDT
[#10]
If someone's going to drive there for a day or two to lend a hand, I'd tag along and chip in for gas. And depending on how nice your car is, maybe help drive too.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 5:37:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

NE OR, Pendleton.  Its right on I84.  I'd say about 3 1/2 to 4 hours out of Boise, 2 1/2 hours out of Portland, but could be wrong.  All I know its gonna be a 5 1/2 or 6 hour trip up for me.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:46:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NE OR, Pendleton.  Its right on I84.  I'd say about 3 1/2 to 4 hours out of Boise, 2 1/2 hours out of Portland, but could be wrong.  All I know its gonna be a 5 1/2 or 6 hour trip up for me.

Where are you driving from and when are you going? I might be able to make it work.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:40:17 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where are you driving from and when are you going? I might be able to make it work.

I'm in Roseburg (So OR 2 hrs outta CA) So I'm not sure if I'm goin up I-5 the whole way to Portland and over or if I'm gonna over to Bend and up 97 to Biggs then over.  Kinda depends on how many pattyfest hitchhikers I am gonna pick up along the way!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:51:29 AM EDT
[#14]
I would be coming from Bend but I need to check my schedule to see if I can make it. I'm 4.5 hours from Pendleton.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:20:32 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm leavign the am of the 9th and returning the PM of the 11th if this all works out.  Not sure bout what direction I'm goin as of yet, I think another member from up the valley said they were interested in a ride too.

IM me when it gets closer.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:13:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:49:15 AM EDT
[#17]
After I read this thread my main reaction was this must be part of the mad cow disease spreading around the frozen wasteland North of the US border. As to the solicitation for money - if this type of begging is such a great idea why doesn't AR15.com set up a charity forum link and then we can all post our solicitations there ? party on dudes
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:28:27 PM EDT
[#18]
First I would like to thank those who have supported me.  For those who have questioned my intentions you can be assured that I have never asked or solicited help.  I do appreciate those who have sent me donations and have offered to help me with their time but I resent those who imply that I am a welfare Mom and mooching off of ARFCOM.  

Patty
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:36:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Patty - I don't see anyplace you asked for anything - your posting appeared to just share some information (frustrations) and was probably not intended for a global posting.  I apologize if you felt any of my comments were directed at you as they were not. My finger was pointed directly at Striker.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:10:45 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Patty - I don't see anyplace you asked for anything - your posting appeared to just share some information (frustrations) and was probably not intended for a global posting.  I apologize if you felt any of my comments were directed at you as they were not. My finger was pointed directly at Striker.

well that's nice, really but the fact is that Striker was just trying to rally people together he knew would want to help me.  I guess because he's site staff it can be construed as his actions were more attentive then intended.

You have to keep in mind that there are people who will want to help, there are people who want to show support either with their times or prayers or well wishes.  I think that its very very low of anyone to expect anything from anybody -- particularly those off of an internet forum.  I received dozens of IM's and emails saying Patty I'd like to help you at this time but I can't -- however I really want to wish you well.  I can't tell you what that meant to me.  I'm going through a really rough time right now and have very little to hold onto - what Striker has done and others really is all I have to keep it together.  

Keep in mind if something like this comes up again that even though there is a call for help out there - that no one's pointing a finger at you specifically to help.  The forum isn't a big charity network - rather a group of people that's gotten together with one main interest that has in a way bonded.  It's human nature to want to help and share with others like that.

My very best wishes,  Patty
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top