Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2008 4:30:00 PM EST
Now that I dont have any schooling left. ( or do I ?) I finally graduated a while ago with a few degrees in Economics. Well this great time we live in doesnt appear to have anyone in a hiring mood.

Basically Im looking for advice on finding a job. I had a really crappy week because for the first time in my life I have been in a situation where I had no control whatsoever. Studying harder, saving money, giving up sleep etc.. nothing can really change the process. I must have sent out 40 resumes a day for the last week solid. Applyed to several jobs each day (30+) and its taking a ton out of me.

Anyone got any ideas? Looks like I may have to think about OCS if something doesnt click soon . Which wouldnt be a bad thing but I think in a way its just delaying the date I get out and need to find a job.. again..
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 4:47:20 PM EST
First off, don't get dicouraged. It usually takes longer than a week for someone to fish out your resume and decide to call you. If you continue to get no responses to your resumes, you may want to reconsider what you are putting into them. I know it sounds kind of dumb, but the georgia Department of Labor is pretty good at putting those things together so you may want to give them a shot if you don't have any luck.

I hope it works out for you.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 5:22:09 PM EST
Where in GA are you?
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 5:39:27 PM EST
Marietta.

I basically started the search a few months ago. Several companies looked good, didnt want me bc of no degree yet, Some wanted me but the money wasnt there.. Now im just looking for a job like its my job.. and its one hard job!
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 5:49:43 PM EST

Originally Posted By Impact-Vector:
Marietta.

I basically started the search a few months ago. Several companies looked good, didnt want me bc of no degree yet, Some wanted me but the money wasnt there.. Now im just looking for a job like its my job.. and its one hard job!

No offense but beggars can't be choosers.

Take a job in your given field regardless of pay, get your foot in the door and continue your education.

Times are difficult no matter your profession. I'm sure there exception to that statement, but we aren't concerned with that.

TD
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 6:45:48 PM EST
I somewhat disagree with you on that treedawg. Often, people take a job thinking money will come later, this is not the case more times than not. Many times you take a job with mediocre pay, get some experience then bail on that company for one with more money. I know its kinda shitty to use a company as a stepping stone, but they have to stop lowballing people and pay what they deserve.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 7:01:56 PM EST

Originally Posted By 762bodydropper:
I somewhat disagree with you on that treedawg. Often, people take a job thinking money will come later, this is not the case more times than not. Many times you take a job with mediocre pay, get some experience then bail on that company for one with more money. I know its kinda shitty to use a company as a stepping stone, but they have to stop lowballing people and pay what they deserve.

I agree with you 100%.

A job today will get his foot in the door, not to mention a salary and he can use that job as a so called stepping stone if needed.

TD
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 7:31:34 PM EST

Yep. I have NEVER gotten a significant raise staying with one employer, even when market rates for what I do have skyrocketed. My pay practically doubled within a few months of leaving IBM (first company I went to lied to me, was only there a few months, contract I got after that was nice). Get 1-3 years experience in your industry, and you'll be in a position to greatly increase your earnings, but nobody wants to pay a lot for someone fresh out of college unless you have a lot of coop time, and even that is looked at skeptically, unless you get hired by the company you co-oped for.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 7:58:58 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/2/2008 8:00:21 AM EST by BuckeyeSam]
You may want to get in touch with some recruiters. They have alot of inside info on companies that are hiring. You dont have to pay any fees with the vast majority of the good ones, the employers will be paying the fees to the recruiter to find them who they want. My wife works for one of the big boys called Management Recruiters Inc. They are world wide and can find you a job some where. If you were interested in working in the health care industry my wife could help you out. Just call one of there branches through out the country or go to their website. Not sure what the site is right off hand but will find out and post it later. Good luck.

PM me if you need more info.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 8:10:04 AM EST
Here ya go. Go to WWW.MRINetwork.com. Not sure how to make the link hot. If you need anymore info PM me and I will help you out the best I can. The website should be able to get you in to contact with one of the offices that specializes in the field you want to get into.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 10:27:13 AM EST
I'm in a similar boat. Just finished my BA, enlisting at the end of the summer , trying to find work to do until then while I train.

You're right; no one seems to be in the hiring mood.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 11:06:38 AM EST
Alot of companies are using recruiters now that specialize in their fields. That way they save money in screening candidates, back ground checks, drug tests, pysch tests and reference checks. Most of these companies only want to talk to a few people instead of being swamped by people who do not gualify. Now a days trying to get high paying jobs you either have to know some one, use a recruiter or someone comes looking for you because you were recomended. Its real tuff out there right now because of the economy.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 12:09:21 PM EST
My first professional job was the US Navy.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 12:39:16 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/2/2008 12:41:37 PM EST by New4John]

Originally Posted By LARRYG:
My first professional job was the US Navy.

Yep, and that was my stepping stone to where I am today after 12 yrs of mediocre pay

Impact, try not to get discouraged. I can tell you that from the time I post a job, plow through resumes, juggle schedules of a few others and the candidate for interviews, multiplied by # of candidates, navigate the horrid HR waters to get a fricking offer letter, 3 months is not unusual at all. I assure you it's pretty frustrating on this end of it too when there's talent out there and you can't just say, "here's your laptop, welcome aboard". (I've been on both ends so I truly can relate as well as understand the difference. Not saying my frustration equates to what you're feeling, but know most guys aren't sitting back ignoring your info)

4 Weeks ago I drug our HR to a military job fair. They were stunned! Most people out here in corporate America have no clue what a military background truly encompasses. Technical, HR, leadership....they have NO concept of how much experience you have.

I say all this to finally answer your question.. Suggestions? Yep, forget the on line submissions, revisit that resume and sell yourself. While not military, my wife has gotten all 4 of her last professional jobs, by showing up in person. TWO of which had no openings and weren't looking to hire....but they created a position for her. You gotta sell it brother. You cannot begin to imagine the crap I have to wade through from on line applications. People that I'm pretty sure can't even read a job description and I have no clue why they're applying. You can't separate yourself from those dolts on line, you can however set yourself apart by making a personal appearance. Just stop by with resume in hand, note that you applied on line via their system and wanted to insure the hiring manager received your resume and let them know you're available to answer any questions.

Lastly, draw on ALL the skills you got from the military. Just cuz you did X, doesn't mean you're not qualified to do Y. Don't sell yourself short in other areas you never imagined.

Hang tough and good luck.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:26:11 PM EST
Job hunting stinks. That being said I looked for a year to find the job I'm in now, the one before took right at a year to find.

Companies don't give two SH@@'s about people. Well, I shouldn't say all, but there are than enough that don't. There is nothing wrong with having to take something as a stepping stone. I've left the past 3 companies over money/responsibility/career opportunity. They always come up and say what's it going to keep you to stay, and then they can't match it (or it sucked working there that no amount of money was worth it).

Real world experience speaks alot more than a degree does in my experience. You got the degree, now hunt for something in your field of work and expand on it. It's easier to find a job in said field while your working in said field. Network. Knowing people helps with opportunities.

It is easier said then done, but hold your head up. It gets frustrating as crap. I've been there several times before. Going through something similar now......again. Beginning to see a pattern here. Ultimately, I had to take that stepping stone job. I went into it saying 6 months at said company. Well, it turned into 4 years and a couple promotions/job changes within the dept. Almost 10 years in my field now.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:45:23 PM EST
I did the Navy thing as well, I will be the first one to say it helped me in ways I never thought I needed

However, If you are squared away and ready, one of the better non .mil routes is a fed intern position. Take a look at www.usajobs.opm.gov for *anything* in 1) your field and 2) any geographic area you are interested in or will tolerate. Be careful you will find positions in GA that are really in Central America but the alternative is also true, Pay attention. They''ll even email them to you every day. Tailor the resume to match the job (stomps foot on floor as a reminder) and you should be able to get an interview. The Intern is generally a "will train" position, you start as a GS9 move to an 11 in a year then to a 12 or 13 position at full performance, It's a training position so you are expected to learn the agency and your job as you go.

I'm a relative newbie to the federal system but I think it really has a lot to offer (I could have written my job description, it is what I *wanted* to do and as a result I have fun at my job every day) Remember we are not all mindless .gov drones, and most of them will retire in the next few years, we need good people to make the system work, and the opportunity *now* and in the next few years will never be better,

Sorry for the sales pitch (and no I don't recruit :-) Good luck in your search guys,

Mike
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 4:05:02 PM EST

Originally Posted By LoneWolf545:

Yep. I have NEVER gotten a significant raise staying with one employer, even when market rates for what I do have skyrocketed. .

I did. It happens. You must WOW them.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:01:20 AM EST
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 5:58:43 AM EST

Originally Posted By The_Watcher:

Yep. I have NEVER gotten a significant raise staying with one employer, even when market rates for what I do have skyrocketed. .

It all depends on the employer. Current employer is looking at completely revamping their pay scales, as most people have job titles that don't match their actual duties, and result in invalid salary comparisons. If they count the storage administration I do, I could conceivably get a 20% pay jump.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 12:59:22 PM EST
Cobb Co PD is hiring now!!! The academy starts in July, If you get hired you will be kept busy at the academy until the class starts.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:07:15 PM EST
height=8
height=8
height=8
height=8

It all depends on the employer. Current employer is looking at completely revamping their pay scales, as most people have job titles that don't match their actual duties, and result in invalid salary comparisons. If they count the storage administration I do, I could conceivably get a 20% pay jump.

If i received a dime everytime i heard that story it would be close to a 20% pay increase..
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 2:15:44 PM EST
height=8
Originally Posted By Impact-Vector:
Now that I dont have any schooling left. ( or do I ?) I finally graduated a while ago with a few degrees in Economics. Well this great time we live in doesnt appear to have anyone in a hiring mood.

Basically Im looking for advice on finding a job. I had a really crappy week because for the first time in my life I have been in a situation where I had no control whatsoever. Studying harder, saving money, giving up sleep etc.. nothing can really change the process. I must have sent out 40 resumes a day for the last week solid. Applyed to several jobs each day (30+) and its taking a ton out of me.

Anyone got any ideas? Looks like I may have to think about OCS if something doesnt click soon . Which wouldnt be a bad thing but I think in a way its just delaying the date I get out and need to find a job.. again..

I work for an IT consulting company and do the technical portion of our interviews. The number one I can say just guessing here is your expecting way to much money. I got guys coming in fresh out of college you are expected to get paid what our senior engineers with 15 years experience are making. Yet, I can't put this college guy in front of a customer because they don't know anything. I realize IT and economics are different but I can't imagine the attitudes from the guys fresh out of college are that different. I've had to fire 3 guys with degrees because they think they know it all yet the never actually got the job done. I know the college people sold on the degree being the golden ticket truthfully without the experience to back it your out of luck.. I have a friend who is stocking shelves at walmart with a masters in computers, he has been doing that for over a year because "he is work 150k a year and no one will pay him that" don't end up being that guy. Don't be to proud to start entry level, we've all had to do it. You need to take the next job offered at any price and get experience.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 3:39:39 PM EST

Originally Posted By zerodown:

If i received a dime everytime i heard that story it would be close to a 20% pay increase..

I'm not holding my breath :-) But one of my coworkers is on the employee satisfaction committee that was formed after the results from the employee satisfaction survey came in... The HR reps in the meetings have admitted that our current pay system isn't working, they've apparently already started work on the first recommendation the committee made, which was annual merit raises (previously, raises tended to be 18-36 months apart).

I'll see in July :-) (HR said they needed to know by last week to have time to process all the paperwork and start issuing raises by July).
Top Top