Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/8/2005 8:05:42 PM EDT

of course, I'll be moving back to CT come january, and I was wondering where there are any firing ranges in the CT area.  Here in Pittsburgh we have a small 15-100 yard range and then another, private 15-500 yard range with a 100 yard range and for full autos or just burning up ammo any way you like.   I was wondering if there where ranges like that back home, where you cna just walk into a large squard hole in the ground and let lose, or any 'combat' town scenario places to practice.

Let me know, thanks.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 3:24:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Not too many places in CT where you can just walk into a gravel pit and "let loose".

Most CT ranges & clubs are seriously restricted against "rapid" fire with a few exceptions.

Blue Trail Range in Wallingford is the largest, public range. Absolutely no rapid fire of any kind
allowed and all rifles must be shot from the bench beneath a safety bar that prevents muzzle
elevation.

High Rock Shooting Ass'n in Naugatuck is on State Land and is open to the public on weekends
Again, no rapid fire (meaning mag dumps, bump fires etc) Good deal - $5 for the first hour and $4 each subsequent hour. Check their schedule for events like Cowboy Action.

Private clubs: vary and depend on where in the state you are moving to. Many clubs here have long waiting lists for membership. The only club I am aware of that even has Class-III full auto
shooting is Metacon on Rte 10 in Avon, adjacent to the State Police range. The state is dotted
with small fish and game/trap & skeet style clubs that focus mainly on shotguns but some of these offer small, 100 yrd outdoor ranges that are typically ok for sighting in a deer rifle but not for
a line of riflemen practicing rapid fire drills. The shotgunners would have a cow.  A few clubs have
their own .50 BMG bans because of proximity to nearby residential areas that would exceed the range safety net if a .50 cal were to go errant.
Overall, due to CT's dense population noise complaints are a big issue here for most clubs.

There are many smaller clubs that are active with IDPA and CMP, but all are very regulated and controlled. Again, I'm not aware of any place where someone can just "let loose"
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 6:01:15 AM EDT
[#2]
High Rock in Naugatuck does allow controlled rapid fire.  Of the times I have been there not one RO said anything to me or any other shooter about their rate of semi-auto fire.  Keep it controlled and hitting your target, no issue.

High Rock is open to the public Sat 9-5 and Sun 12-5.  During the winter months, the range is closed earlier due to an earlier sunset, as per DEP.  The Cowboy Actions Shoot take place the first Sunday of the month and is closed for general shooting.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 8:26:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Southington Sportsmans Asoc allows full auto. However there is a waiting list (not sure how long) and a buy in for first year members other than that its around $120 a year. Decent place whith covered Long Rifle and Pistol areas. Also has a trap house and a archery area. Mike K
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 8:08:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info, guys.  I really appreciate it.   I guess Pennsylvania and Connecticut are like two different worlds.  Oh well, as long as I can take home all the guns I own here in PA...
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:38:49 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info, guys.  I really appreciate it.   I guess Pennsylvania and Connecticut are like two different worlds.  Oh well, as long as I can take home all the guns I own here in PA...

Sorry to say we still have an AW ban in CT.  You'll need to check the laws before you bring in a banned weapon!!!
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:49:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry to say we still have an AW ban in CT.  You'll need to check the laws before you bring in a banned weapon!!!

A very large +1   Be very careful what you bring in. I still have a couple pieces of my collection exiled to friendly states. I doubt that they'll ever be legal here again. My brother thanks me for "storing" them at his house in a friendly state.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 7:04:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I have:

Saiga-20
Beretta Cx4 Storm
Mossberg 590
Benelli H20
Winchester 1897
The rest are either bolt actions rifles of NEF breakopens.

Last time I checked I should be OK, since none of those are on the CT ban list.

Also, I don't mind that I won't be allowed to go 'Hog wild' and shoot from the hip and all that stuff, but for the guns like my Beretta Storm .45, I'd like to be able to at least shoot controlled 'rapid' fire, like what you guys said, keeping the shots on the paper, and not hitting everything but the target.  I don't care what people say, I like my beretta Carbine and its damn accurate too.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:25:06 AM EDT
[#8]
you didn't mention what part of the state you'll be moving to, as there are clubs all over...
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 1:19:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Fairfield County.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:01:42 AM EDT
[#10]
ok, there's not much your way in terms of ranges. There are many more in central and eastern CT.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:49:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I Don't mind to drive a fair distance to get to a nice firing range.  Here i drive 45 minutes to get to the range I like.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 2:40:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Also, are there magazine restrictions on pump shotguns?  My 590 has a 20" barrel and a full length mag tube and a bayonet lug...can I bring it home?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:10:22 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Also, are there magazine restrictions on pump shotguns?  My 590 has a 20" barrel and a full length mag tube and a bayonet lug...can I bring it home?

no problems there...
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:15:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Since you will be moving "back" to CT, the same ranges are probably in existence unless you moved awhile ago.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:33:33 PM EDT
[#15]
The pump gun is fine. 590s are sold all day in CT gunshops with the long mag and bayo lug.

The evil features count doesn't apply to pumps here; only on semis
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:59:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Now that the weather is fridgid, are there any indoor ranges for 223 cal? Just curious
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:49:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:41:51 AM EDT
[#18]
You think zombies care about the cold?  Practice outside, just in case!

FWIW, I don't know of any indoor ranges that allow centerfire rifle.  I *heard* New England Outfitters was going to upgrade their backstops to allow centerfire rifle, but have heard nothing since.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:47:42 AM EDT
[#19]
+1 on High Rock. Also, depending on where in Fairfield county you are there is an outdoor range in Danbury, Wooster Mountian gun club, open to public on Sat. and Sun. Noon to sundown. Sundown now is pretty early there since they are in a bit of a valley. 50 yard range but for $15 entry and $5 for optional stand you can't go wrong. Also the allow "plinking" of anything from bowling pins to plastic jugs to clay pidgeons or whatever off of the berm.

Also for indoor ranges Forest and field in Norwalk. They actually rent a CX4 storm 9mm for their range and may allow frangible .223. Not positive on the .223 though.
In Monroe there is an indoor range that I know for a fact will allow .223 frangible as long as you purchase it from them.

I have shot, poorly, at all 4 and all seem to be run by decent people and are as safe as can be expected. The link below lists more ranges in CT.

http://www.huntingnavigator.com/shconn.htm

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:26:02 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
You think zombies care about the cold?  Practice outside, just in case!

FWIW, I don't know of any indoor ranges that allow centerfire rifle.  I *heard* New England Outfitters was going to upgrade their backstops to allow centerfire rifle, but have heard nothing since.

Racer you aint right!! I agree with you though!!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:00:30 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
+1 on High Rock. Also, depending on where in Fairfield county you are there is an outdoor range in Danbury, Wooster Mountian gun club, open to public on Sat. and Sun. Noon to sundown. Sundown now is pretty early there since they are in a bit of a valley. 50 yard range but for $15 entry and $5 for optional stand you can't go wrong. Also the allow "plinking" of anything from bowling pins to plastic jugs to clay pidgeons or whatever off of the berm.

Wooster Mtn.

Does anyone have a specific address or directions on how to get there? I've traversed Rte 7 5 times, and can never seem to find this place.

Short of a specific address, landmarks, or distances from intersections/the mall would help.

Thanks!

/ml
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:05:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Wooster Mtn is about 1 mile south of the mall on Rt 7.

Heading south, the range will be on your right.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:00:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Wooster Mtn.

Does anyone have a specific address or directions on how to get there? I've traversed Rte 7 5 times, and can never seem to find this place.

Short of a specific address, landmarks, or distances from intersections/the mall would help.

Thanks!

/ml

When leaving the mall and getting on Rt. 7 south once you hit the bottom of the hill from the overpass it is 1.1 miles to the entrance. The only marking is a small brown sighn on the right for a drive leading into an open area right at the begining of the road construction area. There is a red and white striped radio-cell phone antenna on the left directly across from the entrance.
Once you turn right into the drive proceed up through the gate and to the range. If the upper lot is full the open area you just went through is used for additional parking.
Good luck, hope this helps. Feel free to shoot an email if you want to get together for some range time.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:16:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks! With your (Bludgeon's) and Racer934's directions, I should be able to get there easy. I'll email  ya, and thanks for the invite!

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:04:54 AM EDT
[#25]
+1 on High Rock.  While the range is open to the public on weekends (Saturday 9-5 or sunset in winter months and Sunday Noon - 5 (again sunset closing in winter), members can use the range during ANY daylight hours.  Sunday Morning, M-F.  The club is still accepting new members.  Application fee: $50, Annual Dues: $50 (includes meal at each monthly meeting.  Members have to pull range duty (two 4-hour shifts once per calendar quarter) to supervise the public.  Check out www.hrsa.nu for more information.

+1 on Forest & Field.  Have supervised shooters at that indoor range.  Can use .223 frangible rounds, but I think you have to buy from them.  They don't want other rounds "accidentally" slipping in.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:28:44 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
+1 on Forest & Field.  Have supervised shooters at that indoor range.  Can use .223 frangible rounds, but I think you have to buy from them.  They don't want other rounds "accidentally" slipping in.

Hi Ken,  
    A+ on High Rock! BTW  

Did I understand you right on Forest & Field has an "indoor" 223 range using there ammo? Where are they located?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:41:10 AM EDT
[#27]
F&F is located in Norwalk, CT.  (203)847-4008  I helped supervise a private shooting session and they did shoot .223 frangible at the indoor range.  The website says no centerfire rifle ammo.  Before you go there, call first.  I don't know if a special arrangement was made to accomodate these shooters.  Also check out their web site: www.forestandfield.com
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:53:36 PM EDT
[#28]
I usually go to Blue Trail but am starting to get fed up with it because it's expensive and not very black rifle firendly.  You can only shoot off a bench from the covered firing line and can't shoot centerfire rifles at 50 yards.

I want to head up to High Rock some time this weekend before I go back to college.  I saw pictures of their range.  Do they allow you to shoot rifles offhand, sitting, and prone?  Can you set up targets at 50 yards?  Finally, how do you get there from I-95?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:16:59 PM EDT
[#29]

I usually go to Blue Trail but am starting to get fed up with it because it's expensive and not very black rifle firendly. You can only shoot off a bench from the covered firing line and can't shoot centerfire rifles at 50 yards.

Ive seen people shooting prone there, if you ask im pretty sure they just let you move the bench away. Ive been told i couldnt shoot 50 yards as well, but only from the end lanes which are sauposidly high power only, I think not %100 but if you go from the ones closer torwards the office side you can shoot from 50 yrds, I am defitnely going to ask next time I go in a couple of weeks..

I want to head up to High Rock some time this weekend before I go back to college. I saw pictures of their range. Do they allow you to shoot rifles offhand, sitting, and prone? Can you set up targets at 50 yards? Finally, how do you get there from I-95

Not sure how they let you shoot, Ive never shot there, but have vistited it, 1 thinng I know is you cant get a 100 yard targety there I estimated the farthest would be about 75 yards? Again Ive never shot there , but have heard from more than a couple of people that thier real tight asses there, but cant iamgijne how bad they could be if you have your shit sqaured away?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:57:57 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Not sure how they let you shoot, Ive never shot there, but have vistited it, 1 thinng I know is you cant get a 100 yard targety there I estimated the farthest would be about 75 yards?

The farthest lane is just about 110yds from the benches.  Yes, you can shoot standing, sitting or prone (if there is room).  You can have paper targets closer than 100yds, if you so desire.

Again Ive never shot there , but have heard from more than a couple of people that thier real tight asses there, but cant iamgijne how bad they could be if you have your shit sqaured away?

If you are squared away, the ROs are fair and enforce the printed rules.  Stay safe, follow the rules and no one should bother you.

Directions to High Rock
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:36:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Dont be concerned with "hard asses" at High Rock. The RO's I have seen there and talked to were very hospitable and welcoming. And very interested in discussing the sport. I'm sure that if there is something that someone is doing thats unsafe or wrong they would advise the person immeadately in a nice way. I've had great times there. Hopefully I'll be there this weekend!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:23:19 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Dont be concerned with "hard asses" at High Rock. The RO's I have seen there and talked to were very hospitable and welcoming. And very interested in discussing the sport. I'm sure that if there is something that someone is doing thats unsafe or wrong they would advise the person immeadately in a nice way. I've had great times there. Hopefully I'll be there this weekend!

Awesome!  I might go up tommorrow.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:52:16 AM EDT
[#33]
I can DEFINATELY recommend High Rock!  I just got back from there and the people are really nice.  In fact, Racer934 helped mezero my iron sights.  Thanks again for that!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:55:21 PM EDT
[#34]
EJ - Glad you made it up.  Hope you come up more often.  Happy to help and I love the look of 20" ARs!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 1:16:39 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
EJ - Glad you made it up.  Hope you come up more often.  Happy to help and I love the look of 20" ARs!

I'll definately be back up during my spring break.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:33:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Highrock sounds sweet.  I'm itching to shoot my 700 and my Beretta Storm.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:03:13 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Highrock sounds sweet.  I'm itching to shoot my 700 and my Beretta Storm.

Where in Fairfield county are you?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:12:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Fairfield itself.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:14:30 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Fairfield itself.

Nice.  High Rock is probably closer to you than Blue Trail anyway.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:27:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Well, reguardless, I'm liking how High Rock sounds, so Either this weekend or next weekend I'll stop up there and unload some .45 ACP.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:22:05 AM EDT
[#41]
I've posted the HRSA Range Rules to clarify any potential misconceptions about the range or its use. This facility is leased from the State of Connecticut so some rules (like exploding targets) are stipulated in the lease. Generally, if you demonstrate the safe handling and use of your firearm, the range officers will not be a problem. While some RSOs may be a bit tougher, the rules are posted for consistent application no matter which RSOs are on duty. All in all, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better deal, unless you own land and can freely shoot on your own property.

High Rock Shooting Association Range Rules

Safety
Maintaining a safe environment at ALL TIMES is our first priority!
Firearms brought onto the range must be holstered, cased, or with actions open.
Firearm muzzles must be pointed down range at ALL TIMES.
Eye and Ear protection is mandatory for all shooters.
No full automatic or tri-burst type devices are permitted at the H.R.S.A. range.
Rapid semi-automatic fire is permitted in a controlled fashion only – firing from the shoulder is suggested.
There is NO handling of firearms allowed during a “Cease Fire”.
Shooters may proceed down range only through the center aisle.
Children under the age of 16 must be supervised by an accompanying adult at all times.

Targets

No targets shall be placed over target frames.
No Glass, Ceramic, Stone, Aerial or Exploding targets are permitted at the H.R.S.A. range.
Metal targets may be used, but no thicker than 3/8 inch and no closer than 25 yards.
All metal targets must be suspended and reactive, excepting metal targets at 100 yards.
Stuffed animals may not be used as targets.
No photos or other representations of real people or personalities are allowed at H.R.S.A. range.
All target materials brought to the range by shooters must be removed from H.R.S.A. after use.
All targets must be placed no further than the base of the berm down range (100 yards).
All targets must be at least 18 inches above the ground during regular range hours.

Fees/General Rules
Fees are $5.00 per shooter for the first hour, or any part thereof, and $1.00 per shooter for each quarter hour thereafter. Payment is to be made at the end of the shooting session.
Positive photo identification is required for all shooters.
A valid CT Pistol Permit is required to use handguns at the H.R.S.A. range.
Supervised children, under the age of 16, shoot for free.
Active military with current, active ID, armed guards with current blue card, corrections officers with current carry permit, police officers and other law enforcement officers with valid ID shoot for one hour FREE.
Magazines may be reloaded during a “cease fire” from behind the yellow line.
No alcoholic beverages or other intoxicants are permitted at the H.R.S.A. range.
No smoking is permitted under the covered area.
Shooters are asked to curtail the use of vulgar language.
Shotguns are allowed for “patterning” and slug sighting in.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:09:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Never had a problem at High Rock, the ROs have always been nice!

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:44:41 AM EDT
[#43]
What happened to the 200 yard line? Is it still open to the public?

Quoted:
I usually go to Blue Trail but am starting to get fed up with it because it's expensive and not very black rifle firendly.  You can only shoot off a bench from the covered firing line and can't shoot centerfire rifles at 50 yards./quote]
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:45:18 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
What happened to the 200 yard line? Is it still open to the public?

Quoted:
I usually go to Blue Trail but am starting to get fed up with it because it's expensive and not very black rifle firendly.  You can only shoot off a bench from the covered firing line and can't shoot centerfire rifles at 50 yards./quote]

Yeah, but that's 200 yards only.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:16:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top