Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2003 4:50:43 PM EDT
Where's a good place to go around here?  I'm in F'burg.  Looking for a decent show, nothing huge, not interested in fighting the crowds as I like to set up a tripod and take some pics.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 10:51:01 AM EDT
[#1]
BennyFranklin-

Some time ago I read that you had moved to Fredericksburg and I had intended to welcome you.  

The biggest firework show in town will be at Mill Park down by the Rappahannock.  It will probably be jammed with people.  If I were looking for a place to set up a tripod, I would consider one of the hills overlooking the river such as:

1. Chatham, the old plantation house on the north bank of the Rappahannock in Stafford County.

2. The hill in front of Snowden, a grand old house near Mary Washington Hospital.

3. Marye's Heights, on the Sunken Road.  The Confederates had a pretty view of the Yankees from that point during the late unpleasantness.
-Catsmeat
Fredericksburg, Va.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 4:39:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Very cool suggestions, thanks!

heh, now if I just knew where the hell all those places were.  heh.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:38:36 AM EDT
[#3]
BennyFranklin-

The easiest thing would be to stop in any convenience store and get a map of the city.  If you live near downtown F'burg, all of these places are within a couple of miles.  Frankly, traffic will be heavy on the 4th and if you don't have small children, you might want to walk.  One of the best things to do in F'burg is to walk around the city to see the old neighborhoods and the historic houses.

-Catsmeat
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 7:44:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, I found the hill by the old house by Snowden, but (at the time I showed up around 8) they weren't letting people up there so we went down to the park and it wasn't very packed at the time so we found a parking spot and set up by a soccer field and the parking lot.

It turned out to be the better spot.  I'm not sure I'd have been able to get a close enough shot from the hill.

Here's the results:  users.adelphia.net/~ken.ross/fireworkthumbs-2003.htm

The pics are shrunk to 800x500 or so for space and display purposes.  If anyone would like the originals which are like 1700x1200 let me know which filename and how to send it to you.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 3:18:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Hell yeah man great pictures.

Link Posted: 7/7/2003 7:14:31 AM EDT
[#6]
What kind of camera did you use to take those?

Also, are you coming to the Richmond gunshow this weekend?
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 10:54:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What kind of camera did you use to take those?

Also, are you coming to the Richmond gunshow this weekend?

It's a Kodak DC290, a digital camera with 1.3mp I think.  It's not bad.  Most of the pics were done with a .5 second exposure.  There's a couple in the middle that were done with 1 second, then I went back because there was too much streaking.

I don't think I'll be at the show.  I still haven't gotten around to finding a part time job because we've been busy with all the moving stuff.  I just got my VA license this Thursday and found out I never got my title and am now wrestling trying to figure out what I can do about it.  I'm also waiting for my lawyer to finish stuff from my closing.  Apparently during the walkthrough the buyer found the AC didn't work.  (I swear it did when I left but it was weak)  I'm hoping it will just be a recharge, not a whole damn new system.  Just my fucking luck....

Anyway, no, I won't be there.  I need to figure out what the hell I can do part-time that won't drive me insane and get me off of Ramen noodles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top