Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 7/4/2012 5:34:08 AM EDT
As probably most of you know fireworks are legal to own in Iowa just not to "use"...  
discuss.....
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 5:46:18 AM EDT
[#1]
i heard the root of why this law exists today...

apparently in the 30s depression era iowa, the town of spencer nearly burnt to the ground over a box of fireworks that was lit accidentally.  in response the iowa legislature acted to halt fireworks.  at that time, the area had been in continual drought for years, there was no water or money, and to be honest it might have been a measure for temporary adoption.  after all, we issue burn bans when the risk is severe that we'll torch a neighborhood or worse.

that said, the knee jerk reaction that leads to permanent bans of something that posed temporary problems, are no more prudent now than then...  we trust people to pump billions of gallons of gas around iowa, start their own camp fires, burn their own leaves, etc. so the bullshit response about burning themselves or working with combustibles is total bunk.  time somebody pulled heads from ass on this one...
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 7:48:10 AM EDT
[#2]
You can shoot off fireworks if you get approval from the supervising agency, example around here, if you live out in the county (not in city limits), people will go to our county supervisors to get an OK to shoot off fireworks.  We have the paperwork in our office showing who and when they will be lighting them off.

Link Posted: 7/4/2012 12:50:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You can shoot off fireworks if you get approval from the supervising agency, example around here, if you live out in the county (not in city limits), people will go to our county supervisors to get an OK to shoot off fireworks.  We have the paperwork in our office showing who and when they will be lighting them off.  

people actually do that? around here most folks just light em up and deny everything when someone comes around for a look.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 5:39:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Fireworks Laws by State

I ran across this the other day. The map link at the top shows what a nanny state we live in.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 7:12:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Think of the children!

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 7:02:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Think of the children!

no kidding...  that mentality is exactly what lead to our current law.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 8:38:55 AM EDT
[#7]
The ban on fireworks worked pretty well in my area.  I am surprised to hear that it wasn't the same for you all.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 1:34:31 PM EDT
[#8]
No restrictions on sparklers to celebrate our freedom on Dependence day............

ETA-I'm originally from upstate NY-sparklers were illegal there along with everything else.
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 3:45:06 PM EDT
[#9]
We just always grab our semi-autos and empty a bunch of mags into the air.... muzzle flash and a loud bang!

Link Posted: 7/5/2012 4:01:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
We just always grab our semi-autos and empty a bunch of mags into the air.... muzzle flash and a loud bang!

That crap starts forest fires better then a match
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 6:14:10 AM EDT
[#11]
When I was a kid (14) an officer confiscated about 4 pounds of assorted fireworks from me I got from a trip my brother made through Missouri.
The guy  really let me have it threatening to toss me in the clink and tried to scare the crap out of me. I was relieved that all he did was take my fireworks...  
He went on his way with my joy and left me with a severe warning.
Two nights later he really put on a show with my fireworks from his backyard (he lived down the block from me)
I remember the whole block gathered around his house cheering the show (I had bottle rockets, roman candles, screamers, etc etc.. Show lasted about 20 mins..
later that week he tried to figure out how come his swing set was re-assembled backwards with red locktite..
I'll never forget that jackass..  
If for some reason you're in this forum and reading this, It may be 30 years later but you still owe me my fireworks dooshbag..

Link Posted: 7/7/2012 6:58:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
As probably most of you know fireworks are legal to own in Iowa just not to "use"...  
discuss.....

Quoted:
When I was a kid (14) an officer confiscated about 4 pounds of assorted fireworks from me I got from a trip my brother made through Missouri.
The guy  really let me have it threatening to toss me in the clink and tried to scare the crap out of me. I was relieved that all he did was take my fireworks...

Apparently, he didn't know that it was legal to own them.  Why is there so much fear of "going over the line" to get them??

Link Posted: 7/7/2012 7:21:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
discuss.....

Quoted:

Apparently, he didn't know that it was legal to own them.  Why is there so much fear of "going over the line" to get them??

I don't have a fear.  I buy them every year and set them off at the family farm.  
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 7:33:47 PM EDT
[#14]
727.2  FIREWORKS.
        1.  The term "fireworks" includes any explosive composition,
     or combination of explosive substances, or article prepared for the
     purpose of producing a visible or audible effect by combustion,
     explosion, deflagration, or detonation, and includes blank
     cartridges, firecrackers, torpedoes, skyrockets, roman candles, or
     other fireworks of like construction and fireworks containing any
     explosive or flammable compound, or other device containing any
     explosive substance.  The term "fireworks" does not include
     goldstar-producing sparklers on wires which contain no magnesium or
     chlorate or perchlorate, flitter sparklers in paper tubes that do not
     exceed one-eighth of an inch in diameter, toy snakes which contain no
     mercury, or caps used in cap pistols.
        2.  A person, firm, partnership, or corporation who offers for
     sale, exposes for sale, sells at retail, or uses or explodes any
     fireworks, commits a simple misdemeanor.  In addition to any other
     penalties, the punishment imposed for a violation of this section
     shall include assessment of a fine of not less than two hundred fifty
     dollars.  However, the council of a city or a county board of
     supervisors may, upon application in writing, grant a permit for the
     display of fireworks by municipalities, fair associations, amusement
     parks, and other organizations or groups of individuals approved by
     the city or the county board of supervisors when the fireworks
     display will be handled by a competent operator, but no such permit
     shall be required for the display of fireworks at the Iowa state
     fairgrounds by the Iowa state fair board, at incorporated county
     fairs, or at district fairs receiving state aid.  Sales of fireworks
     for such display may be made for that purpose only.
        3. a.  This section does not prohibit the sale by a resident,
     dealer, manufacturer, or jobber of such fireworks as are not
     prohibited by this section, or the sale of any kind of fireworks if
     they are to be shipped out of the state, or the sale or use of blank
     cartridges for a show or the theater, or for signal purposes in
     athletic sports or by railroads or trucks, for signal purposes, or by
     a recognized military organization.
        b.  This section does not apply to any substance or
     composition prepared and sold for medicinal or fumigation purposes.

Time for an "Iowa Fireworks Coalition"....
Link Posted: 7/7/2012 8:08:39 PM EDT
[#15]
"" Perhaps it’s time to change Iowa’s fireworks law. Other states have done so. Rhode Island recently passed legislation allowing consumer fireworks. So did Michigan, at least partly because neighboring states allowed fireworks, and they were sending money out of state. ""

Fireworks

"" BOTH OFFICERS SAY YOU SHOULD LEAVE THE FIREWORKS TO THE PROS.  ""
FEW FIREWORKS LEGAL IN IOWA

Weren't those two big fails over this past 4th "professional" shows?
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 11:29:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
"" Perhaps it’s time to change Iowa’s fireworks law. Other states have done so. Rhode Island recently passed legislation allowing consumer fireworks. So did Michigan, at least partly because neighboring states allowed fireworks, and they were sending money out of state. ""

Fireworks

Talk about sending money out of state, the first town south of the border here on I35 - Eagleville - has a population of about 300 and four large fireworks stores.  Fireworks are probably a good chunk of that town's jobs.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top