Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2005 8:53:19 PM EDT
Looks like New Mexico is getting trashed in the General Discussion.
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=379055
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:46:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:16:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Well,

I've been here 10+ years.   IMO, NM is a great place to visit, but a lousy place to live.    It has beautiful scenery, and fantastic weather, moreso than any of the other places I've lived.   And I liked the way government generally stayed out of a citizen life, 10 years ago.

But, things have changed negatively in that 10 years.   I've had it with the crime, illegals, redneck idiots everywhere, drunk drivers, corrupt judges, sleezebag politicians, lower wages, rising cost of living, ineffective law enforcement, etc, etc.   It took a few recent visits to other states to remind me just how backwards NM really is.   This state ranks among the worst in many quality of life isues, and I don't see anyone in power doing anything constructive to effect positive change.   In ten years, I think NM will still be among the worst.

Ironically, now that I've decided to look elsewhere, business is picking up, but I'm still packing my bags.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:37:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Hello all,

This is my first time in the NMHTF. I lived the first 26yrs. of my life in NM and have spent the last 20 here in AZ, so I feel a kinship to both states.

The problems you all are talking about have existed for the most part my whole life, which is one of the reasons I've lived in AZ for the last 20 yrs. Sadly I don't see things getting much better, especially when it comes to the illegal imigration which has skyrocketed big time in the last 10 yrs.

20yrs. ago there were very few illegals compared to now, (but of course that is true for the whole Southwestern US) I still make it back home about once a year to visit family in the Santa Fe area and it has become almost unrecognizable, both in the way it has grown and how the people have changed. Back when I was  younger, before I left the state I could travel through out the state with no conceren for my safety, I was always running into someone who knew a member of my family, and instantly it was like I was family.

Now I go into Santa Fe and don't see anyone I knew at all, the friendliness is gone and I feel like a stranger in my own home town, the crime and drugs have driven all the good people away or into hiding. Anymore you have to watch your back and keep an eye open for all the assholes looking for trouble.

I would love to go back some day to live there again but I doubt I will because of all the problems mentioned already, but unfortunately because it has become very 'Liberal' the Californicators and Easterners and big money celebraties have moved in and totally changed the political climate there which is a big contributing factor to alot of the problems. NM is a 'Sactuary' state which is why there are so many illegals there, now they can't even be deported unless they are convicted of a felony, shit back in my day an illegal had to keep a low profile and keep his nose clean or he'd be gone before he knew it!!! Now they are practically a protected species!!!

Well enough of my rant, those of you living there know all too well what I'm talking about. At least you still have the decent weather and the mountains to enjoy, that is what I miss the most these days........
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:31:56 AM EDT
[#4]

If you don't mind my asking,  what is it about AZ you find preferable over NM.

I kind of consider them pretty much the same, but haven't done any serious research yet.

Quoted:
Hello all,

This is my first time in the NMHTF. I lived the first 26yrs. of my life in NM and have spent the last 20 here in AZ, so I feel a kinship to both states.

The problems you all are talking about have existed for the most part my whole life, which is one of the reasons I've lived in AZ for the last 20 yrs. Sadly I don't see things getting much better, especially when it comes to the illegal imigration which has skyrocketed big time in the last 10 yrs.

20yrs. ago there were very few illegals compared to now, (but of course that is true for the whole Southwestern US) I still make it back home about once a year to visit family in the Santa Fe area and it has become almost unrecognizable, both in the way it has grown and how the people have changed. Back when I was  younger, before I left the state I could travel through out the state with no conceren for my safety, I was always running into someone who knew a member of my family, and instantly it was like I was family.

Now I go into Santa Fe and don't see anyone I knew at all, the friendliness is gone and I feel like a stranger in my own home town, the crime and drugs have driven all the good people away or into hiding. Anymore you have to watch your back and keep an eye open for all the assholes looking for trouble.

I would love to go back some day to live there again but I doubt I will because of all the problems mentioned already, but unfortunately because it has become very 'Liberal' the Californicators and Easterners and big money celebraties have moved in and totally changed the political climate there which is a big contributing factor to alot of the problems. NM is a 'Sactuary' state which is why there are so many illegals there, now they can't even be deported unless they are convicted of a felony, shit back in my day an illegal had to k

eep a low profile and keep his nose clean or he'd be gone before he knew it!!! Now they are practically a protected species!!!

Well enough of my rant, those of you living there know all too well what I'm talking about. At least you still have the decent weather and the mountains to enjoy, that is what I miss the most these days........

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:51:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quote by GAU5-A-A

If you don't mind my asking, what is it about AZ you find preferable over NM.

I kind of consider them pretty much the same, but haven't done any serious research yet.

You are absolutely right, they are pretty much the same, almost identicle when it comes to the illegal problem.

The only saving grace is the town I live in is quite a bit smaller that Santa Fe or Albuquerque, so it only looks like less of a problem. Plus my wife doesn't want to leave her job just yet, maybe in a few years!!....

Also AZ has better gun laws,(less restrictive)..
But NM still has better weather and better mountains, as far as I'm concerned..
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:58:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Example?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:59:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Example?

Open carry is legal,Concealed Carry is easy to get,(NM may have finally passed CCW) plus Class III is possible, full-auto,silencers, and SBRs are possible too......
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:33:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Example?

Open carry is legal,Concealed Carry is easy to get,(NM may have finally passed CCW) plus Class III is possible, full-auto,silencers, and SBRs are possible too......

You must be confusing us with the California forum.

Not really New,  Not really Mexico.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:30:17 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Example?

You must be confusing us with the California forum.

Not really New,  Not really Mexico.

I'm not trying to get into a pissing match with you, but when I lived there in NEW Mexico, CCW was unheard of, and class III full-auto and silencers were a wet dream fantasy only to be dreamt about.

If all these things have changed, I stand corrected. But I dare you to walk into any Mall in Santa Fe wearing a gun openly and not be surrounded by SWAT in minutes......
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:12:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like things may have improved since you lived in NM.  CCW is common and easily obtained.  Recent Walmart good samaritan situation was performed by a licensed CCW.  Open carry is legal, and I thought it always had been.  Not sure about the rest.  And I have personally seen open carry in the Santa Fe mall.  Admittedly, it was years ago, as I have not been to a mall in forever.  How does the mall in Scottsdale feel about open carry?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:11:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Sounds like things may have improved since you lived in NM.  CCW is common and easily obtained.  Recent Walmart good samaritan situation was performed by a licensed CCW.  Open carry is legal, and I thought it always had been.  Not sure about the rest.  And I have personally seen open carry in the Santa Fe mall.  Admittedly, it was years ago, as I have not been to a mall in forever.  How does the mall in Scottsdale feel about open carry?

Well it has been 20yrs. since I lived in NM, so I would hope things have improved. As far as open carry in Scottsdale, I can't say. I live in Yuma. But I have read of others carrying openly in Phoenix which is as you may know connected too Scottsdale, so I don't think it would be an issue....
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:26:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Class III is available in New Mexico.  Haven't ever attempted open carry in Santa Fe But honestly I've only been there maybe 10 times in my life.  Not a problem in Southern New Mexico though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top