Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/19/2006 9:22:02 AM EDT
My buddy bought a pistol the other day NIB and it came with 2 fired cases ina baggie. What are the deal with these, don't they go to a registry somewhere?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:31:43 AM EDT
I 'think" the FFL is supposed to enter the casings into the COBIS system. Whoops. To date, used pistols are not included in the registry.

COBIS boondoggle
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:47:50 AM EDT
All the information I recieved was over a 2 minute cell phone conversation, so I have no details other than he purchased a "new pistol" (did not include make, caliber or other important details) and wanted to know what the "2 fired shells in a baggie" are for. I explained I thought it was for records purposes or something, he said thanks and hung up.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:52:08 PM EDT
FFL is suppose to take them when he sells the pistol
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:00:28 PM EDT
If the pistol was new and new means not having been previously sold at retail (over the counter) The State would certainly accept, and proabably like the fired cases submitted if they're available, however once its been sold/papered it is technically used.
One way to get around the new gun BS to have a friend/family member buy it and send it to your dealer who would be recieving a "used" handgun. Costly but doable.

Couple years ago I bought a used Grock. The factory box had fired cases inside which the dealer submitted to COBIS (inspite of the fact it was a police trade in), he calls me a week or two later wanting me to return the pistol so it could be submitted for a ballistic sample....turn out the sample that came in the box matched the box, but neither were for my pistol and COBIS demanded that the pistol be submitted. I could have fought it, but let it go and sold it to a LEO.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:51:04 PM EDT
As per NYSP, unless the pistol comes from a manufacturer or the manufacturer's distributor to your FFL, then it's used, even if it's NIB. So if you buy from a FFL out of state, no case is required.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:01:06 PM EDT
I guess the story is, The gun shop owner sold him a ruger p89 that had been purchased from a private seller at a gun show, it was "like" new in box, being as it was in private ownership and never fired or handled much. My friend, who's permit just came back, got the ruger at a decent price, but wanted to know if the cases came from the manufacturer or from the original owner who claimed never to have fired it. Thanks for your information!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:40:19 PM EDT
I even had to have them for a single action replica 1875 Remington revolver
Top Top