Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 10/10/2007 11:35:18 AM EST
I still haven't got around to sending my FAC application form away. There seems to be one hypothetical hurdle after another. This is the latest one:

I'm 21 (but I haven't started driving yet!), the range is around 20 miles away. The local bus links are fairly good and well-suited to transporting me to and from the range, which is fair enough because I don't currently own any firearms. This will soon change however, as I'm tired of using the el-cheapo Ruger club guns. I'm thinking of going for either a V22 or a Bremmer.

Obviously this presents a bit of a problem. Common sense dictates that I just can't "take up arms" and jump on the nearest bus! Is this even legally kosher?

Obviously the carbine would be kept stripped (bolt-carrier removed) in a locked case and any ammunition would be carried in a seperate container. Just the standard, common-sense rules of firearm transport.

Since this aint Switzerland, It seems to me that the only concrete and realistic solution would be to start driving!
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:40:36 AM EST
Put the whole lot in a normal sports bag as a bit of urban camo. Other than that - its no-ones bloody business. When was the last time anyone wants to know whats in your addidas bag ?

Legally speaking theres no issues with public transport.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:46:06 AM EST
310 is right about transporting, you are quite legal to get on a bus with a firearm if you are correctley licenced, but best not to draw to much attention to yourself ie dont wear DPM and carry your weapon in a drag bag or the likes

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:47:01 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:58:12 AM EST
That's good news. Do you reckon it would be a good idea to send Stagecoach Bus UK a wee letter just to let them know that I'll be legally carrying arms on their coaches? Or is it none of their business?

How about the police? Should I let the FEO know?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:02:08 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:06:47 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/10/2007 12:08:50 PM EST by 310Cadet]
I'd suggest you keep it to yourself. The bus company will likely invent a new rule to ban it if you tell them.

Telling other people also reduces your security - who is the clerk at the bus company likely to tell down the pub ? Do you trust them with an address they will know they can find firearms ?

Just keep the gun and mags unloaded, and maybe either put the gun in a locked box inside the bag or a put a gun lock on it. The locks are just a clear indication that its not being carried in a readily usable manner.

When I first got my ticket at 17 (years ago !) I used the bus to go to range.

Enjoy your shooting.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:11:07 PM EST

Originally Posted By streetfighter:

Originally Posted By Helios:
That's good news. Do you reckon it would be a good idea to send Stagecoach Bus UK a wee letter just to let them know that I'll be legally carrying arms on their coaches? Or is it none of their business?

How about the police? Should I let the FEO know?

No!

Fair enough I suppose.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:13:38 PM EST

Originally Posted By 310Cadet:
I'd suggest you keep it to yourself. The bus company will likely invent a new rule to ban it if you tell them.

Telling other people also reduces your security - who is the clerk at the bus company likely to tell down the pub ? Do you trust them with an address they will know they can find firearms ?

Just keep the gun and mags unloaded, and maybe either put the gun in a locked box inside the bag or a put a gun lock on it. The locks are just a clear indication that its not being carried in a readily usable manner.

When I first got my ticket at 17 (years ago !) I used the bus to go to range.

Good point! The more people who know about it, the less secure the firearms become.

Enjoy your shooting.

Cheers!
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 1:43:29 PM EST

Originally Posted By 310Cadet:

A local bus driver refused to let a person carrying a can of paint on his bus, 'ealth 'n' safety he said total bollox of course.

Golf club bag is the answer, nice and long, you can probably find a used one in a charity shop. I heard of a shooter who did that, and had no trouble on the train or bus.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 1:46:55 PM EST
You should have seen us struggling to get on a bus at Heathrow with 4 pelican rifle cases plus luggage!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:37:15 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/11/2007 6:38:09 AM EST by Bodie]
Yep, seperate the Upper & Lower & stick it in a Ruck or Sports bag, V22 is a sound choice.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:10:50 AM EST
Here in Germany, you are not allowed to transport either weapon's or freshly purchased ammo on public transport.

Tony
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:14:50 AM EST
one of our members carries his rifle slip across his back as he rides his motorbike...
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:30:24 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/11/2007 10:32:13 AM EST by Helios]
What's the current legal authority on transporting firearms via public transport? Will it be in the Home Office's Guidance to the Police? (Because I can't find anything relevant in my copy of said document) I just fancy being able to quote line and verse in the unlikely event that I get stopped.

Much appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:34:17 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:34:34 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/11/2007 12:34:56 PM EST by Helios]

Originally Posted By streetfighter:
If, exceptionally, guns are to be carried on public transport they should be kept covered in a suitable case and remain with the holder at all times

Aye.

I saw that page a wee while ago. The word "exceptionally" seems to be a bit offputting, but I guess that might just be to discourage carrying arms on public transport as a matter of routine, and probably doesn't cover traveling to and from the odd competition/weekly practice.

Cheers.
Top Top