Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2005 5:53:30 PM EDT
Is it legal to carry a pistol at a state forrest? MrsG and I have taken up a little hiking to help get back in shape. I was wanting to carry my Sig Mosquito with a mag of Snakeshot and a couple mags of Hollow points, want to make sure this is acceptable before I do it.

Also If you guys know of any good trials around central Indiana that a guy can haul his wife and 2 year old down let me know.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 9:04:47 PM EDT
[#1]
unfortunately, www.packing.org/state/index.jsp/indiana says you can't carry in a state park.
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 2:56:11 AM EDT
[#2]
The Indiana DNR has some silly regulations about firearms on "their" property, but for the most part they are regulations and not something that will incur any sort of criminal liability.  There is nothing in the Indiana State Code that says your License to Carry Handgun is invalid in state parks or forests.  Of course, I am not a lawyer, and you should verify this for yourself.

As usual, your best bet is "Don't Ask; Don't Tell."

I think it's foolish to be unarmed anywhere, but especially so in a remote area by yourself.  Use your own judgement!
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 6:22:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Look at your permit where does it say you are prohibited from carry.  The state parks are just that state parks, payed for with Tax payers money, public places.  The DNR did not buy them.
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 7:01:48 AM EDT
[#4]
The best trail closest to you is Ft. Ben State Park.  Some are paved, some are stone, the park is great.  You can push the stroller around on the paved trails easy.  Basicaly old roads that are well maintained.  I have been taking my daughter there for day hikes year round, for many years.  We go there on snow days too.  But technically you are not to have weapons in the park.  I always do.

Anything goes in National Forest lands, like the Hoosier National.  

A lot of State Forest land is cool too, like Martin State Forest.  The key is many of these areas permit hunting so firearms are not a big issue.  Martin has a cool nature loop set up for kids.  Worth the drive if you want to get out of town.  Just West of Shoals, IN.

If you want more info call me on the cell, but with a littel one, Ft. Ben's paved trails are good.

Link Posted: 7/21/2005 7:32:12 AM EDT
[#5]
If you take snake shot make sure you a in danger with no avenue out if you have to kill something.  If you shoot the wrong kind of snake you may be introuble, so if you do just eat the snake.  If it has a tracking device find a turtle and stick it on it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 8:30:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Charles C Deem Wilderness Area south of Monroe Lake.  Drive in a little ways from 446 and you can park at the horse camp, then walk the horse trails.  It's very woodsy and I get the impression you can walk a long way in there.  Don't park along the road, they'll ticket you or something.  I've hunted just south of there and had people come along on horseback and walking.  So...like...don't go in there after October, cause I might be there with a gun.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 1:08:59 PM EDT
[#7]
www.fs.fed.us/r9/hoosier/rec_front_page.htm

FYI. one of my favorite links for info.  I tend to avoid crowds and go to spots that are NOT busy.  If you plan to camp, not just day hike, click the horseback link then scroll to German Ridge.  That place is only busy in Deer season.  Beautiful area, my favorite.
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 4:19:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Well we headed down to Morgan Monroe today and Whew was it HOTT. We took the short mile hike close to the Park Headquarters, I was carrying Liam on my shoulders most of the way, He sat up on the Pack just loving the scenery. Mrsg had a great time as well reading the trail guid whenever we hit a new marker.
After coming about Halfway up the Hill though the extra weight of Liam and the Pack (plus the few pounds Ive gained) started to tell. Got a little light headed n quesey. Time to get back in shape. Wife and I decidedwe are going to start doing this regularly to get back in shape, plus it was alot of fun.
Heres a pic from today.

Link Posted: 7/21/2005 4:21:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
www.fs.fed.us/r9/hoosier/rec_front_page.htm

FYI. one of my favorite links for info.  I tend to avoid crowds and go to spots that are NOT busy.  If you plan to camp, not just day hike, click the horseback link then scroll to German Ridge.  That place is only busy in Deer season.  Beautiful area, my favorite.

Im like you Zoub, I just dont care for crowds, thats what I like about the few times Ive been to Morgan Monroe , I squirrel hunt there in the fall and love it. There are not usually alot of folks lingering around there. We will definatly check out German ridge Looks like a very nice place to hike.
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 4:26:09 PM EDT
[#10]
We also did the Cincinatti ZOO yesterday

Link Posted: 7/21/2005 5:56:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Charles C Deem Wilderness Area south of Monroe Lake.  Drive in a little ways from 446 and you can park at the horse camp, then walk the horse trails.  It's very woodsy and I get the impression you can walk a long way in there.  Don't park along the road, they'll ticket you or something.  I've hunted just south of there and had people come along on horseback and walking.  So...like...don't go in there after October, cause I might be there with a gun.  

Just yell DUCK!! before you shoot that should take care of any risk to a passersby.
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 6:10:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
We also did the Cincinatti ZOO yesterday

Hey!  Mini-Gungho is riding my namesake!  

Looks like you three had a really good time!
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 3:40:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Ron, how was the Cincy Zoo?  My wife and I get over to Cincy a lot but have never been to the Zoo.  We usually end up at Newport on the Levvee and just hang out.  Looks like you guys had fun!!  I need to get my fat ass out on a trail soon!!!
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 8:07:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Ron, how was the Cincy Zoo?  My wife and I get over to Cincy a lot but have never been to the Zoo.  We usually end up at Newport on the Levvee and just hang out.  Looks like you guys had fun!!  I need to get my fat ass out on a trail soon!!!

Was really a great trip encept the part where it rained for about two bloody hours. I would wait til it cools off a tad its all up and down hills there and hard walkin on a fat guy Its really worth the trip and time if you have it to spare though we are planning on going back maybe this fall when it cools off a bit.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 4:25:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Can I get a w00t for good pix, cute wiminz and kids, and hiking!?
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:03:22 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

The Wiminz says "thank you" the kids busy swabbin the deck.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 5:18:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Wiminz says "thank you" the kids busy swabbin the deck.

you're welcome.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:19:20 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The Indiana DNR has some silly regulations about firearms on "their" property, but for the most part they are regulations and not something that will incur any sort of criminal liability.  There is nothing in the Indiana State Code that says your License to Carry Handgun is invalid in state parks or forests.  Of course, I am not a lawyer, and you should verify this for yourself.

As usual, your best bet is "Don't Ask; Don't Tell."

I think it's foolish to be unarmed anywhere, but especially so in a remote area by yourself.  Use your own judgement!

The rules about firearms on DNR property are backed up by administrative code, which makes them just as legitimate as Indiana Code.  Violation of the rules is an infraction, so like you said, there is no criminal liability.  The most that would happen is that you would be given a fine, and told to leave.  With that being said, I agree with "dont ask, don't tell."

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:01:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Gungho, I might just be misinformed, but I thought hollow point rounds were illegal?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:44:33 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Gungho, I might just be misinformed, but I thought hollow point rounds were illegal?

Illegal? I know they are perfectly legal for personel protection and as far as I know they also are legal for hunting in Indiana.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:45:59 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Illegal? I know they are perfectly legal for personel protection and as far as I know they also are legal for hunting in Indiana.

Okay.  I didn't think they were legal.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top