BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Firearms news of note (Page 2 of 9)
Page / 9
Link Posted: 10/20/2010 5:57:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aztec223] [#1]

IHEA Now Offers Online Classes for Hunter Ed Instructors

The International Hunter Education Association (IHEA) has launched a new web-based training program for Hunter Education Instructors. The IHEA-approved online curriculum, developed in partnership with Remington Outdoor Foundation, features lessons designed to enhance teaching skills using animation, photos, video and narration offering expert advice.

The more than 70,000+ volunteer instructors in North America "are the backbone of the Hunter Education Program,” said Jim Moore, president of Remington Outdoor Foundation. "The Foundation’s funding and technical support combined with the IHEA’s curriculum allowed us to create an online program that helps instructors renew their certification and encourages prospective mentors to help make hunting even safer and more enjoyable.”

To take the course as an individual and help uphold the future of hunting, visit www.IHEAtraining.com. This 90-minute, multi-media training program is available for $25/person. For an additional $5 you also can receive a discounted one-year membership to IHEA and help support safe and responsible hunting. This is a one-time offer for new members only.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2010/10/ihea-now-offers-online-classes-for-hunter-ed-instructors/

Link Posted: 10/20/2010 6:08:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Americans Need Guns for Protection from Islamist Terrorists, says Senior Rights Activist

WASHINGTON, "Law-abiding Americans must have the opportunity to get the guns they need to protect their lives from maniacal Islamist terrorists,” John Snyder, named the senior rights activist in Washington by Shotgun News, said here today.

"Recent news reports make this clear to anyone not blinded by political correctness,” he noted in a video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIxhGlNkJXU).

Reports indicate an Al Qaeda-affiliated magazine urges Islamists in the United States to attack and kill Americans in public gathering places.

Inspire, an Internet magazine, calls on Islamists to shoot customers in Washington restaurants, to murder federal workers and other Americans. The New York Daily News and The Washington Times reported this.

http://canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/28934

Link Posted: 10/20/2010 6:16:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aztec223] [#3]

Colorado Supreme Court To Consider CU Gun Ban

Once again, Colorado is the scene for one of the next steps in the fight to restore the right to self-defense on campus, as once again one of their flagship universities turns to the courts to validate its defiance of state law.

The University of Colorado (CU) is being sued by Students for Concealed Carry on Campus (SCCC) for its refusal to comply with the state law passed in 2002 which restricts entities that can prohibit concealed carry.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/colorado-supreme-court-to-consider-cu-gun-ban

Link Posted: 10/20/2010 6:21:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Gun Stamp Bill Has Oklahoma Gun Owners Up In Arms

By Tara Vreeland, News On 6

TULSA, Oklahoma –– A bill introduced by Representative Dan Boren has firearm owners and gun control supporters in a shootout.

The bill would begin a study into firearm microstamping.

Supporters say microstamping would help law enforcement track bullet cartridges back to the weapon. Opponents in Oklahoma say it's another shot at gun control, and their second amendment right.

Firearm Microstamping is new technology in which a marking is lasered onto a firing pin, making each cartridge fired by it traceable. Guns don't currently have that kind of pin, but they could. And it would be possible to retrofit existing guns.

http://www.newson6.com/Global/story.asp?S=13353537

Link Posted: 10/20/2010 6:24:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Second Amendment plays big in Tennessee governor’s race

Forget jobs, the Second Amendment is the issue facing Tennessee’s gubernatorial candidates.

The Tennessee Firearms Association held the second of two question and answer sessions with Tennessee gubernatorial candidates Democrat Mike McWherter and Republican Bill Haslam this week, an indication that both candidates realize the role of gun rights in the state’s election.

Republican Bill Haslam reiterated his support for the Second Amendment saying, "As governor, I will work hard to protect those [rights] because that’s something really important to Tennesseans.”

In a race that should be about jobs, it seems the Second Amendment continues to play a big role in differentiating the two candidates. As such, the candidates are making the issue personal.

"I saw where my opponent Bill Haslam made the comment that he didn’t even own a gun. I do. My son hunts. I’ve been a member of the NRA for years,” said Mr. McWherter.

http://www.thestatecolumn.com/blog/2010/10/second-amendment-plays-big-in-tennessee-governors-race/

Link Posted: 10/20/2010 6:37:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aztec223] [#6]

Mountain goat kills man in Olympic National Park

Robert H. Boardman set out on a hike Saturday with his wife and a friend on an Olympic National Park trail popular because it is short, beautiful and close to town.

The Port Angeles man never completed it.

Boardman, 63, died after trying to shoo away a mountain goat at the top of Klahhane Ridge, about four miles north of the Hurricane Ridge Visitor Center, National Park Service officials said Sunday.

He is believed to be the first person to have died in an incident involving an animal in the park, spokeswoman Barb Maynes said. Rangers found and killed the animal, which was to be taken to Monroe for a necropsy, she said.

"The underlying fact is that wildlife is unpredictable, and that applies to all types of wildlife," Maynes said.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2013189753_olympicpark18m.html?prmid=obinsource

Open or Concealed could have prevented this! People just do not want to believe that those beautiful creatures will do this!

Link Posted: 10/20/2010 9:43:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aztec223] [#7]

Idaho to Stop Wolf Management under ESA

10/20/10

The ongoing saga how to manage the Northern Rocky Mountain wolf population continues.

Congress is introducing numerous bills to remove Endangered Species Act (ESA) protections from the wolves. Now, the Governor of Idaho has ordered state wildlife officials to stop managing the wolves under the ESA.

Gov. C.L "Butch” Otter informed Department of Interior Secretary Ken Salazar that Idaho did not want sportsmen dollars to be used enforcing the ESA when the state is not allowed to manage them under its own authority.

The decision means that Idaho wildlife officials will not be required to investigate when wolves are killed. There is also no clear alternative in Idaho for managing the wolves in the absence of the state officials.

Meanwhile, Montana officials have stated that they are not following Idaho’s lead and will continue to use state dollars to manage wolves.

Idaho and Montana previously signed wolf management agreements with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Those agreements gave them the authority to manage wolves while the Service was considering removing them from ESA protection.

Click here for more on the Northern Rocky Mountain wolf issue.

https://www.ussportsmen.org/page.aspx?pid=2555

Link Posted: 10/20/2010 9:47:04 PM EDT
[#8]

PETA May Have Misused Video Images

10/20/10

PETA is no stranger to using provocative imagery in videos that it produces to advance its message. While this helps PETA get headlines, it has opened them up to potential litigation.

The problem for PETA stems from the group’s liberal use of images from an early 1980s documentary on animal exploitation. That movie, "The Animals Film” was narrated by actress Julie Christie.

While the movie was designed to raise awareness about animal issues, the company that owns the rights to the movie is not pleased with PETA’s use of those images. This is especially since PETA never payed for a license to use them.

The rights holder, Beyond the Frame, Ltd. has sent a letter to PETA that included a draft lawsuit to be filed in the United Kingdom. It specifically referred to several YouTube videos promoted by PETA as well as a 2007 HBO documentary that used footage from "The Animals Film.”

The letter stated,

"Our client would have been very reluctant to grant a license to your client/PETA Inc given Mr. Schonfeld's (the director) well-publicized views about PETA and its sexualized efforts to attract publicity. In the circumstances, had it been prepared to grant a license, it would have charged a substantial premium."

PETA's offer of $12,800 was rejected. The owners of the movie rights are asking for approximately $750,000.

https://www.ussportsmen.org/page.aspx?pid=2554

Link Posted: 10/20/2010 9:58:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Keep the Sentry Program Growing

In the last On Target, the U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance (USSA) issued a call for new Local Field Directors (LFDs). Of course, LFDs are very important and we hope many of you will help out and become one.

There is another area where the USSA needs help too. This is in our grassroots network called Sentry.

Already, the USSA has a strong voice in state capitals around the country and in Washington D.C. But, the louder the voice the better.

That is why we have unveiled our Sentry Program earlier this year with Dick and Mary Cabela as our first spokespersons. It’s also why many different celebrities have jumped on board including comedian Jeff Foxworthy, the general manager of B.A.S.S. - Tom Ricks and outdoor legend Jim Zumbo. Just this week we officially added an up and coming outdoor personality, bow hunter and NFL cheerleaderLaura Francese as well.

Yet, even as we add celebrities (and there are many more coming), what we really need is YOU!

An army of sportsmen marching on the state capital and flooding legislators’ offices with phone calls and faxes will make sure hunting, shooting, fishing and trapping are not ignored by elected officials.

https://www.ussportsmen.org/page.aspx?pid=1490&storyid2905=94&ncs2905=3

Link Posted: 10/21/2010 1:39:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Why did NRA give pro-gun candidate an 'F'?

2nd Amendment – I have fond memories of my first job at the age of 12 loading skeet at the gun club my father and grandfather were members of. They taught me at an early age about the 2nd Amendment, which guarantees the right to keep and bear arms. I personally own firearms and hold a Georgia Firearms License. I will never vote to restrict your right to carry and I fully support HB 615.––Diana Williams

There is a candidate for the state senate in Georgia who has answered on the National Rifle Association Political Victory Fund's questionnaire (see slide show) that:

• She believes the Second Amendment is an individual right.

• Rather than adding restrictive legislation, she believes gun laws should be improved to benefit gun owners.

• She opposes gun bans.

• She opposing licensing gun owners.

• She opposes semi-auto and magazine bans.

• She opposes private sale and transfer restrictions.

• She opposes firearm registration.

• She believes GA concealed carry laws are confusing and prefers "shall not be infringed."

• She supports concealed carry in unsecured airport areas.

• She opposes microstamping.

• She opposes mandated "smart guns."

• She opposes "one gun a month" laws.

• She supports campus carry.

• She opposes "lock up your safety" laws.

• She supports range protection.

• She opposes .50 caliber bans.

• She supports hunting and believes regulations should have verifiable justification.

• She supports liability protections for landowners who allow hunting on their property.

• While not a member of the NRA, her husband is.
    Despite her getting so much right, they evidently failed her outright because of her answers to questions on state prememption, property rights and concealed carry.

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-national/why-did-nra-give-pro-gun-candidate-an-f?cid=examiner-email

Link Posted: 10/21/2010 8:17:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aztec223] [#11]

Court of Appeals Upholds Major Sportsmen’s Victory in Maine

U.S. Sportsmen’s Alliance Foundation and Leading Trapping Groups

Win Again in Precedent Setting Case

(Columbus) – Trappers in Maine and sportsmen nationwide scored a huge victory after a Federal Court of Appeals rejected an effort from anti-hunting groups seeking to use the Endangered Species Act (ESA) to stop trapping in the state. This decision reaffirms a lower court decision that set a precedent against manipulation of the ESA to stop hunting, fishing, and trapping.

"We are ecstatic and relieved that this lawsuit is no longer a threat to our lifestyle as we prepare to open the 2010 trapping season,” said Skip Trask of the Maine Trappers Association. "The Maine Trappers Association couldn’t be happier with this decision. It is much more than just a victory for Maine. This decision will help protect all trapping and other sports from coast to coast. We appreciate the support and guidance of the U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance Foundation (USSAF) legal team and all of our partners.”

The anti-hunting groups had originally filed the suit in 2008 against the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife. They had argued that Maine’s trapping regulations provided insufficient protection for the Canada lynx, a species listed as threatened under the ESA, and thus required the season to be stopped.

http://www.ussportsmen.org/page.aspx?pid=2556

http://www.ammoland.com/2010/10/23/major-court-victory-for-maine-trappers-sportsmen/
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 8:21:33 PM EDT
[#12]

I was anti-gun, until I got stalked

I can't stand weapons. But after disturbing e-mails and letters, I decided to arm myself with more than words

"You need to arm yourself."

I blinked at the Portland police officer in my living room. This uniformed bear of a man –– packing a gun, a nightstick, a radio and who knew what else –– was responding to an ongoing stalker problem that had started several months earlier. I'd received letters, a phone call, a few packages and several e-mails from this unbalanced stranger who'd read a few newspaper stories I'd written and taken a shine to me. When the latest letter arrived –– mentioning my boyfriend, Mike, thoughts on religion, and a trip I'd taken but hadn't told anyone about –– I was seriously alarmed.

But get a gun? Surely, I'd misheard him.

"Getting a concealed carry permit isn't hard," the officer continued. "And they make ladies' purses with concealed weapons compartments."

In that moment, I understood the phrase, "blood turning to ice." I'm afraid of guns. When you get right down to it, I abhor them. I used to date a guy who owned a handgun and regularly trekked into the woods with his friends to shoot. I made him move the small gun safe from beneath the bed to another room before I'd agree to stay overnight.

http://www.salon.com/life/feature/2010/10/20/buying_gun_protect_from_stalker/index.html

Link Posted: 10/21/2010 10:32:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aztec223] [#13]

New poll: Support for tougher gun laws at lowest point in decades

A new Gallup poll shows that the number of Americans who favor tougher gun control laws has dropped to its lowest point in nearly 20 years.

Gallup asked the question, "In general, do you feel that the laws covering the sale of firearms should be made more strict, less strict, or kept as they are now? Forty-four percent said more strict, 12 percent said less strict, and 43 percent said the laws should be kept as they are now –– making for a 55-44 majority opposed to tougher laws.

That 44 percent is the lowest number since Gallup began asking this particular question in 1990. A year ago, in October 2008, 49 percent wanted stricter laws. Four years ago, in October 2005, 57 percent wanted tougher laws. In May 2000, 62 percent favored tougher laws, and in August 1999, 66 percent felt that way. Going farther back, in March 1993, 70 percent favored stricter laws, and in September 1990, 78 percent felt that way

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/New-poll-Support-for-tougher-gun-laws-at-lowest-point-in-decades-63920207.html#ixzz133D8jvUL
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 10:35:17 PM EDT
[#14]

NRA's Wayne LaPierre on Law Enforcement

Just a few days ago, I had the opportunity to speak to some of our nation's finest law enforcement officers who had gathered in Albuquerque, New Mexico for the NRA's National Police Shooting Championship.

This year's competition was bigger than ever, with hundreds of officers from across the country and around the world taking part. It's all a part of the NRA's Law Enforcement Division, which helps provide training and assistance to agencies from coast to coast.

Our nation's cops are dealing with budget shortfalls and layoffs, and many departments are woefully understaffed. That puts an added stress on the officers on the street, who are constantly told to do more with less.

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/nra-s-wayne-lapierre-on-law-enforcement?ewrd=1

Link Posted: 10/21/2010 10:40:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aztec223] [#15]

Why Gun Bans Still Don't Work

By John Lott

Published September 29, 2010

FoxNews.com

Yesterday's wild shooting spree at the University of Texas fortunately ended without anyone being hurt before the gunman shot himself. Naturally, the incident has yet again raised the question over gun bans, such as the ban currently in effect at the University of Texas.

Do they actually do more harm than good?

Gun bans as the solution to gun violence has popped up again, covering different areas. It would have been nice if such bans had stopped criminals from using guns. But, alas, the results are invariably the same, whether the ban is put in place for college campuses, cities, or entire nations: gun bans disarm the law-abiding, not criminals. Instead of making victims safer, they make criminals safer.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2010/09/29/gun-bans-dont-work/

Link Posted: 10/21/2010 10:44:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Misinformation feared on Proposition 109

Supporters of a ballot measure that would give people a constitutional right to "hunt, fish and harvest wildlife" have launched a committee to fight what they say is misinformation on Proposition 109.

Two Arizona Game and Fish commissioners, Valley hunters and a representative from the National Rifle Association were among the Prop. 109 supporters gathered at the state Capitol on Monday to announce the launch. Commissioner Jack Husted said he wants voters to understand what's at stake if the measure fails.

"There's a current trend nationwide to limit hunters' freedoms," Husted said. "We have initiatives to stop dove hunting, to stop bear hunting. They would take mountain-lion hunting away from us with these emotional initiatives. It pains me."

The measure would give the state Legislature the exclusive authority to make laws regulating hunting, fishing and harvesting of wildlife. The Legislature would decide whether to allow the state's Game and Fish Commission to make rules.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/local/articles/2010/10/05/20101005arizona-prop-109-hunting.html#ixzz133GW7Nx4
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 10:53:43 PM EDT
[#17]

Critical safety questions at Remington Arms

Two dozen deaths, more than 100 injuries linked to Model 700 rifle

A 10-month investigation by CNBC has found that at least two dozen deaths and more than 100 injuries have been linked to the signature product of an iconic American company.

The Remington Model 700-series rifle - with more than 5 million sold - is one of the world’s most popular firearms. Famous for its accuracy, the rifle is now the target of a series of lawsuits claiming that it is unsafe and susceptible to firing without pulling the trigger.

Remington insists its rifle is safe and free of any defect, though internal documents obtained by CNBC indicate the company has wrestled with concerns over the gun’s safety for some 60 years. The documents reveal that on at least two occasions, the company considered – and then decided against – a modification of the original trigger design intended to eliminate inadvertent discharges. One of those proposed fixes would have cost Remington 5.5 cents per gun, according to the company’s own calculations.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39762676/ns/business-cnbc_tv/

Link Posted: 10/21/2010 11:01:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Remington website responds to CNBC

Remington has a video response to the broadcast last night of alleged deaths and injuries suffered from their signature rifle. Click on the link below and be patient it takes a few seconds for the video to load, it is worth the wait.

http://remington700.tv/#/home
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 11:08:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: aztec223] [#19]

Why has Phoenix banned gun safety ads?

"The city of Phoenix, in an apparently arbitrary move and without formal legal process, has forced CBS Outdoors to tear down 50 illuminated bus-shelter billboards under contract to promote gun safety training for children and their parents," gun law author Alan Korwin's email alert begins.

The posters were placed by TrainMeAZ.com, a commercial joint-educational effort of the firearms industry in Arizona, and had been up all over the Phoenix metro area for a little over one week before the city acted.

Who (besides rabid anti-gunners who preach denial and avoidance to "feel safe," of course) could be against gun safety training? Especially in a state with so many gun owners carrying openly and concealed?

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-national/why-has-phoenix-banned-gun-safety-ads?cid=examiner-email

http://www.ammoland.com/category/pro-gun/

Link Posted: 10/22/2010 5:04:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aztec223] [#20]
Behind the Scenes, Obama Continues Pushing UN Gun Control Treaty

–– Voters can stop this global tyranny by electing an Obama-proof Congress

In late September, several dozen UN representatives met at the University of Massachusetts in Boston to further discuss their plans for global gun control.

While our President may have a history of being absent for important events –– missing over 300 votes while in the U.S. Senate, dissing important dignitaries who visit our country, etc. –– he was sure to have his administration represented at this meeting.

The final report for the Boston Symposium on the Arms Trade Treaty (ATT) is posted online and states that:

"In the end, we seek to achieve an ATT that will establish the highest possible common international standards for the import, export and transfer of conventional arms, including small arms and light weapons, in order to contribute effectively towards peace and stability. This Symposium has brought us one step closer to achieving that goal."

So, they are one step closer to their goal. What are there goals for our firearms?

Apart from using generic phrases like "highest possible common international standards" (aka, gun controls), the gun banners are very careful not to publicly post specific anti-gun proposals that would excite the American public against them. But Paul Gallant and Joanne Eisen, who have attended these UN meetings, spell out what the proposed ATT will really entail.

Writing together with another noted firearms author of the Independence Institute, Dave Kopel, they say that an Arms Trade Treaty would impose:

* Microstamping on firearms, thus increasing the cost of each gun by about $200;

* Registration of all firearms, which is often a prelude to gun confiscation;

* Restrictions on gun sales, especially private transfers (thus, no more gun shows as we know them);

* Embargoes on firearms and materials (such as nickel and tungsten) that would limit access to many of the firearms which are sold in this country.

http://gunowners.org/
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 6:23:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aztec223] [#21]

NRA-PVF changes GA candidate's grade and issues endorsement!

I have a happy outcome to yesterday's column about a pro-gun candidate for the Georgia State Senate who was given a failing grade by the National Rifle Association Political Victory Fund. They have changed her grade to "AQ" (based on her questionnaire response, as she has not held office to be rated on), and gone one step further and endorsed her!

From Diana Williams:

Hi David,

First off, I want to thank you for your wonderful article. I have gotten great feedback from people. Unfortunately, my district is severely gerrymandered and in order to win, I need votes in the DeKalb County portion of the district which is demographically to my disadvantage.

I just got off the phone with the NRA. My misunderstanding of question 8 about preemption was discussed as well as my understanding of question 10 relating to personal property rights.

In regards to question 10, I understand the bill would allow a gun owner (i.e. employee) the ability to store their gun in their vehicle (personal property) in a parking lot (i.e. employer owned) open to the public. While I still have reservations about forcing a property owner (employer) to allow that, said property owner is allowing that vehicle (employee's personal property) on their property to begin with. Trying to dictate what a person can carry or not carry in their personal property locked up is a violation of their (employee's) property rights.

While I am not always good at trying to articulate my point, the NRA and I have come to an understanding and they are changing my rating to AQ. They even went so far as to say they would endorse me.

The NRA should be making the changes to their website rating of me today. Thanks again for all your help - and keep up the good fight!

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-national/nra-pvf-changes-ga-candidate-s-grade-and-issues-endorsement?cid=examiner-email

Link Posted: 10/22/2010 11:32:19 PM EDT
[#22]

Gun Review: Remington Model 700 VS

Go on. Admit it. You want a precision rifle. For hunting. Target practice. Picking off zombies from your bedroom window. Does it really matter why? No. The only thing that matters is how much. A well-sorted precision rifle with pillar bedding, free-floated barrel, high quality bases and rings and killer optics will melt your credit card faster than a butane blowtorch. Alternatively, you can scratch that itch for Old School Cool with a Remington Model 700 VS. With a few odds and ends, you can built a precision setup that will exceed your shooting capabilities (in a good way) without breaking the bank. Yeah, let’s do that.

Why not? The Remington 700 bolt action rifle has been a tried and true platform since America embargoed Cuba (1962). The police still turn to the 700 (PSS) for sniper duty, while the Army and Marines deploy 700 variants (the M24 and M40). And no wonder. It’s rugged, simple and, above all, accurate.

The Remington Model 700 VS (Varmint Synthetic) features the legendary Remington 700 short action receiver nestled in an HS Precision composite stock. The rifle has a full receiver-length aircraft-grade aluminum bedding block for maximum stability.

http://thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/10/bryan-hyde/gun-review-remington-model-700-vs/

Link Posted: 10/22/2010 11:41:25 PM EDT
[#23]

Women with guns

By Paxton Quigley

I have trained 7,000 women between the ages of 11 and 80 to shoot guns. Many of them were like me: scared or opposed to guns – and not wanting to deal with the idea of using one. But they had a wake-up call that made them persist.

Mine was a 2 a.m. phone call when I learned a close friend had been raped in her own home. I decided this would not happen to me. So I made an appointment at a gun range and then canceled because of fear. But I rescheduled it and learned the basics.

Feeling competent was another story. I spent more than 400 hours learning to handle a gun for self defense, and it transformed my life. I was a communications executive with a master’s degree in anthropology from University of Chicago. After my gun training, I graduated from an internationally recognized executive security and anti-terrorist school and became a security professional.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/political-bookworm/2010/10/women_with_guns.html

Link Posted: 10/23/2010 11:58:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Gun Rights and the 2010 House Elections

When the new Congress convenes in January, the House of Representatives will almost certainly have an even larger pro-Second Amendment majority than it does today. How much larger? If "N” is the net Republican gain, expect that the net pro-gun gain will be slightly smaller than ½N.

Below is a list of the U.S. House races discussed in a recent article by Jim Geraghty for National Review Online. He looked at 117 Democratic House districts where observers have at some point in the campaign cycle considered the seat to be in play. From these, I deleted a few races which Geraghty said were utterly out reach for Republicans, and I added a couple Republican seats that are up for grabs. In the district-by-district list below, I supply the candidates’ grades from the National Rifle Association Political Victory Fund. There are 49 competitive House races where there is at least a two-grade difference (e.g. A vs. C) between the candidates. Those races are marked with an *.

In the races that do not have an *, the most common reason is that a pro-gun Republican is challenging a pro-gun Democrat, although there are a few races in which both candidates are anti-gun. Some Second Amendment voters may take into account smaller differences, such as B+ vs. A.

An "A+” means that a candidate has a demonstrated record of leadership. The "A” grade is given only to candidates who have earned the record while in an office. A candidate who provides good answers on the NRA questionnaire, but who has not previously served in a government position where there was an opportunity to make decisions on gun issues, will receive an "AQ.” If there is a "?”, that means the candidate refused to answer the questionnaire. Usually, but not always, this means that the candidate will be hostile to Second Amendment rights if elected.

New Mexico-1: Albuquerque. Repub. Jon Barela (AQ) vs. incumbent Dem. Martin Heinrich (A).

N.M.-2: South. Repub. Steve Pearce (A) vs. Dem. incumbent Harry Teague (A).

http://newledger.com/2010/10/gun-rights-and-the-2010-house-elections/

Link Posted: 10/23/2010 12:26:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aztec223] [#25]

Despite Recession, Hunters and Shooters Fund Their Hobbies

Many gun industry insiders report that sales are soft this year. However, a recent poll by HunterSurvey.com indicates that most hunters and shooters have not cut back significantly on their gun-related expenditures over the last year. When asked by HunterSurvey.com if they were buying more, less, or about the same amount of gun gear this year (compared to 2009), 40.0 percent of hunters said they were spending "about the same” amount of money this year. That is consistent with 2009, when 40.1% of shooters said their spending levels would stay the same.

No Big Change in Actual Spending Habits

The number of hunters expecting to spend more in 2010 dropped only slightly to 19.8 percent from 21.6 percent in 2009. Of those anticipating fewer purchases, 35.7 percent said they would be spending less compared to 33.5 percent in 2009. Considering the natural variation common to any poll, the differences are not considered significant.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2010/10/despite-recession-huntes-and-shooters-fund-their-hobbies/

Link Posted: 10/23/2010 12:31:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aztec223] [#26]

FNH USA Sponsors Unique All-Equipment-Provided Sniper Match

SENECA ROCKS, WV ––(Ammoland.com)- More than two dozen of America’s best long range shooters gathered for three days of competition at the Fall 2010 Alleghany Sniper Challenge, October 9-11, atop this scenic mountain range, marking the Eastern Continental Divide.

This event is the only one of its kind that offers all steel targets at distances up to 1,200 yards and at varying angles across mountain valleys.

However, it was the support of FNH USA which made the 2010 Fall Challenge a unique and true first of its kind all-equipment-provided event. FNH USA provided each competitor with one of its FN SPR A5 .308 long range precision rifles with standard 20-inch fluted barrels, McMillan stocks, and a MIL-STD optical rail with 20 MOA forward cant. Competitors were also issued identical scopes, rings, slings, and ammunition provided for by other manufacturers. Competitors were not allowed any other equipment including electronics or range finders (bipods were allowed).

http://www.ammoland.com/2010/10/21/fnh-usa-sniper-match/

Link Posted: 10/23/2010 11:29:43 PM EDT
[#27]

Use Your Vote to Defend Your Freedom in New Mexico on Tuesday, November 2!

This year’s elections may well be the most important in your voting lifetime! The stakes are enormously high and you need to be fully informed. For up-to-the-minute campaign information and to see what you can do to help elect pro-Second Amendment candidates, please visit the NRA-Political Victory Fund (NRA-PVF) website, www.NRAPVF.org.

The NRA-PVF site is loaded with critical information you’ll need to make informed decisions on Election Day, Tuesday, November 2. To view a complete listing of NRA-PVF candidate grades and endorsements in New Mexico, please click
here!

Before you go to polls on Election Day, be sure that you know where the candidates stand on your Right to Keep and Bear Arms

http://www.nrapvf.org/
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 2:41:18 PM EDT
[#28]
OH: Landlord shoots former resident in self defense

A local man who was shot yesterday will likely face charges after he pinned his former landlord against an apartment building with his car.

The landlord shot the man twice and struck him at least once and will not face any charges.

However the driver of the car will likely face multiple charges of felonious assault.

According to Dayton police, at 4:43 p.m. Saturday, the landlord of an apartment complex at 317 N. Smithville Road called police to report that a former resident was trespassing on his property.

In response, the man drove around the interior of the apartment complex, running over grass, knocking over trash cans and a picnic table and nearly striking a few residents.

http://www.keepandbeararms.com/news/nl/disp.asp?d=10/25/2010
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 2:44:06 PM EDT
[#29]
AP Report Shows Need for Self-Defense, says Gun Law Expert

"Analysis of an Associated Press report released over the weekend shows that Americans need to be able to defend themselves and others from terrorist attacks right here within the United States," gun rights expert John Snyder said here today.

Snyder cited an AP article stating that "a U.S.-born spokesman for al-Qaida on Saturday urged Muslims living in the United States and Europe to carry out attacks there, calling it a duty and an obligation."

Snyder said that, "Law-abiding American citizens must be able to get, carry and use firearms needed for self-defense without unnecessary legal encumbrances. This includes handguns."

http://www.expertclick.com/NewsReleaseWire/AP_Report_Shows_Need_for_SelfDefense_says_Gun_Law_Expert,201033969.aspx
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 2:48:54 PM EDT
[#30]

Scalia takes Kagan to gun range, sources say

According to two witnesses, Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia took fellow Justice Elena Kagan out for a lesson in skeet shooting at his shooting club in Virginia last week.

The witnesses saw Scalia at the Fairfax Rod and Gun Club, where he is a member, around noon on Wednesday of last week. He was with a woman who was noticeably diminutive in height, like Kagan, who stands at about five feet three inches.

The witnesses, who got a very close look at the pair, say that the woman was the newest Supreme Court Justice.

Scalia was bending down in order to teach Kagan how to hold the shotgun, the witnesses say, and the pair were shooting skeet.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2010/10/25/scalia-takes-kagan-to-gun-range-sources-say/#ixzz13Oj2qxBo
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 2:53:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aztec223] [#31]

NRA wants a 'shoot first' society

The National Rifle Association wanted a "shoot first" society, and now it has one with its "stand your ground" law. Our position remains the same: This law is a fraud and has nothing to do with self-defense.

Our old self-defense law had worked well from 1885 to 2005, when suddenly the NRA — not law enforcement, prosecutors or our courts — demanded a law that took Florida from a "duty to retreat" state to a "shoot first" state.

http://www.tampabay.com/opinion/letters/mondays-letters-nra-wants-shoot-first-society/1130143

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 7:11:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aztec223] [#32]
POLL: NINE IN 10 SPORTSMEN 'VERY' LIKELY TO VOTE IN ELECTIONS

As the races around the country continue to tighten in the final weeks, sportsmen are making every effort to protect their rights. Last week, Safari Club International released a polling memothat said nine in 10 sportsmen and women are very likely to vote in the upcoming elections. An alarming fact, according to the poll, is that 93 percent of sportsmen feel concern about gun ownership rights.

Nearly half (47%) believe sportsmen interests are underrepresented by the government in Washington, D.C.

Nearly eight in 10 (79%) sportsmen believe things in the country have gotten off on the wrong track.

Ninety-three percent (93%) of sportsmen are concerned about gun ownership rights with 74% saying they are "very” concerned.

Three in five (60%) of sportsmen also say they are very concerned about potential new laws governing ammunition and protecting the environment.

An overwhelming majority (92%) believe each state should manage and regulate its own wildlife opposed to the federal government.

http://www.nssf.org/bulletpoints/current.cfm

http://www.scifirstforhunters.org/article/index.cfm?action=view&ArticleID=3267
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 7:17:41 PM EDT
[#33]
REP. DAN BOREN'S MICROSTAMPING BILL

In early July, U.S. Rep. Dan Boren introduced NSSF-supported legislation (H.R. 5667) to direct the U.S. Attorney General to work with the National Academy of Sciences to conduct a comprehensive study of firearm microstamping. Boren, as recently as this past week, has had to clear up confusion about the bill and assure sportsmen that this is in fact a pro-gun bill. NSSF strongly supports Boren's bill and also applauds Rep. John Boozman (R-Ark.) for agreeing to cosponsor the bill.

Excerpt from the actual Bill

SEC. 2. PURPOSES.

The purposes of this Act are the following:

(1) To conduct a comprehensive study of firearms microstamping technology that can be incorporated into a firearm during the manufacturing process in order to determine whether the technology is workable and could be a cost-effective law enforcement tool for use in criminal investigations.

(2) To determine the cost to manufacturers, firearm owners, and State governments of mandating the incorporation of microstamping technology into a firearm.

(3) To determine what happens to the reliability of firearms microstamping if non-metallic materials are used to manufacture cartridge cases.

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 7:21:22 PM EDT
[#34]
WRITER STANDS UP FOR EATING GAME

With science, logic and tradition behind him, Worthington, Minn., Daily Globe outdoor writer Scott Rall addresses eating game taken by traditional ammunition.

His conclusion:

"There is a place for all wild game at my house, and that place is right next to the potatoes and gravy."

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:21:26 PM EDT
[#35]

Originally Posted By aztec223:

NRA wants a 'shoot first' society

The National Rifle Association wanted a "shoot first" society, and now it has one with its "stand your ground" law. Our position remains the same: This law is a fraud and has nothing to do with self-defense.

Our old self-defense law had worked well from 1885 to 2005, when suddenly the NRA — not law enforcement, prosecutors or our courts — demanded a law that took Florida from a "duty to retreat" state to a "shoot first" state.

http://www.tampabay.com/opinion/letters/mondays-letters-nra-wants-shoot-first-society/1130143

Damn some people are so ignorant.

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 8:23:02 PM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By aztec223:

Scalia takes Kagan to gun range, sources say

According to two witnesses, Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia took fellow Justice Elena Kagan out for a lesson in skeet shooting at his shooting club in Virginia last week.

The witnesses saw Scalia at the Fairfax Rod and Gun Club, where he is a member, around noon on Wednesday of last week. He was with a woman who was noticeably diminutive in height, like Kagan, who stands at about five feet three inches.

The witnesses, who got a very close look at the pair, say that the woman was the newest Supreme Court Justice.

Scalia was bending down in order to teach Kagan how to hold the shotgun, the witnesses say, and the pair were shooting skeet.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2010/10/25/scalia-takes-kagan-to-gun-range-sources-say/#ixzz13Oj2qxBo

Bravo.

Link Posted: 10/25/2010 9:28:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Must be some truth to the Kagan deal I got it in 2 more emails!  
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 9:35:58 PM EDT
[#38]
NSSF RESPONDS TO NBC NIGHTLY NEWS REPORT ON MEXICO

NSSF President and CEO Steve Sanetti sent a letter to Steve Capus, president of NBC Nightly News, concerning a report by Richard Engle in which the senior correspondent alleges "most of the cartel-related killings in Mexico are carried out with assault rifles and .50 caliber machine guns bought over the counter in the United States." Sanetti noted that while this piece was particularly troubling, it is one of many that include erroneous information concerning cartel-related violence. Watch the NBC video.

PLEASE TAKE A MINUTE TO READ THE LETTER LINKED IN THE STORY
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:32:57 PM EDT
[#39]

Task Force 20-20 Focuses on 'Models of Success' That Grow Hunting and Shooting

NEWTOWN, Conn. — Task Force 20-20, the committee formed at the NSSF Shooting Sports Summit in 2008 and comprising segments of the firearms, state agency and conservation communities, has launched a Models of Success pilot program that will raise awareness of the "best-of-the-best" state recruitment and retention initiatives.

The overall goal of Task Force 20-20 is to increase hunting and shooting participation by 20 percent by 2014.

Task Force 20-20's steering committee has identified programs in Minnesota, Oregon, Arizona and Nebraska as initiatives that can be even more effective developing new hunters and shooters if given a boost from a dedicated marketing campaign. The National Shooting Sports Foundation will fund the promotional efforts out of a $500,000 overall commitment to Task-Force 20-20's recruitment and retention initiatives.

"NSSF is putting its financial muscle behind these most promising state programs, many of which already have a track record of success," said Chris Dolnack, senior vice president of NSSF, the trade association for the firearms, ammunition, hunting and shooting sports industry. "By building awareness of these entry-level and reactivation programs, we'll add more shooters and hunters to our ranks. Research shows people are interested in trying hunting and shooting; these programs make it easy for them to get started or re-started."

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=qbu9jncab&v=0015qcJ7P_42Yh2yIyp4Z9OA6BZJ2FC8HZXSU169wzN-E5KgZ8UD9lIo5_MaXEwILcqM4WFlhtSadt1_3c-uZRQSyrvZ7_4EusIzaM0hgYtE8-ArHQXE8zYwQJtKxiz3ArT0hQXkkgXHIzUIU4Yf1QP-yCGc0Zps3_zK7e9xIIrNVKwkJnAn5O-tQE1y70FELu6tLZk6HHDJ61dE_FnwtCH8W8-Pc29XCGP8qdZKSquQWZ4tsO7IRVWmnKzGTNBcSfUCFbNTDXtBN4LNr8en4FZ_MtLBt3PlmLQoRlWjysBeJisWq89pmu5OdH8ghbdK3FU

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:37:22 PM EDT
[#40]

Gun Owners of America Statement Regarding Drug Cartels, Weapons, and American Gun Laws

1. The types of weapons frequently used by cartels are often full autos, grenades and other explosives that are either completely illegal for civilians to own in the U.S., or very difficult and expensive to purchase. Many of the weapons we see dramatized in the news are simply not available to purchase at U.S. gun shows or gun stores.

2. Mexican drug cartels have billions of dollars at their disposal. They can buy their weapons from rogue nations and other bad actors and have them imported by land or sea with their own planes and vessels. As just one small example as to how much money moves through their hands, consider the alleged half million dollar bribe to the former Mexico drug czar Jose Luis Santiago Vasconcelos. $500,000 dollars in bribes to ONE person, just to grease the skids to practice their illicit trade, is a good indication that most of their weapons are not coming into their country one gun at a time from U.S. gun shows.

3. Federally licensed gun dealers (FFLs) must always submit purchasers to a criminal background check run by the FBI, whether the sale is made at a gun store or gun show. If the check comes up clean, the purchase could go through. If a dealer has a "bad feeling” about a purchaser, he or she can let the authorities know, but dealers would open themselves up to lawsuits if they simply denied a sale because a customer "looked” a certain way.

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/about_us/as_seen_on/15links_monday/gun-owners-of-america-statement

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:44:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aztec223] [#41]

Impeaching Chief Justice Roberts for "Judicial Activism"

The Huffington Post’s Amanda Terkel reports that Rep. Peter DeFazio (D-Ore.) is so upset about the Supreme Court’s recent free speech ruling in Citizens United v. F.E.C. that he is "investigating” whether or not to impeach Chief Justice John Roberts:

"I mean, the Supreme Court has done a tremendous disservice to the United States of America," Rep. Peter DeFazio (D-Ore.) told The Huffington Post on Tuesday. "They have done more to undermine our democracy with their Citizens United decision than all of the Republican operatives in the world in this campaign. They've opened the floodgates, and personally, I'm investigating articles of impeachment against Justice Roberts for perjuring during his Senate hearings, where he said he wouldn't be a judicial activist, and he wouldn't overturn precedents."

If he’s still looking for a case of dubious testimony, DeFazio should try Sonia Sotomayor’s 2009 confirmation hearings. On the topic of gun rights and the Constitution, then-nominee Sotomayor told the Senate, "I understand the individual right fully that the Supreme Court recognized in [District of Columbia v.] Heller.” She later described Heller as "settled law.” Yet when the Second Amendment came before her in the case of McDonald v. Chicago, Sotomayor joined the dissent written by Justice Stephen Breyer which explicitly rejected the Court’s precedent in Heller. As Breyer, Sotomayor, and Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg asserted in McDonald, "the Framers did not write the Second Amendment in order to protect a private right of armed self defense." That’s a fairly significant contradiction of Sotomayor’s sworn testimony, though I’m guessing DeFazio won’t trouble himself "investigating" it.

http://reason.com/blog/2010/10/25/impeaching-chief-justice-rober

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:03:54 PM EDT
[#42]

GPal (aka GunPal) Payment System Under Investigation

This morning we received the following notice from the GunsAmerica operation. It appears there have been serious problems with transactions handled by GPal (formerly GunPal). If you are considering doing a transaction with GPal as the recipient of payments, we suggest you "hold off” until all serious questions have been answered. Please read the following notice

Message from GunsAmerica.com — October 26, 2010

This message is about the 3rd party payment service for guns known as Gpal, or GunPal before that. Down this message a bit you will see a link to file a complaint if you feel you have been wronged.

This is solely a public service announcement. GPal/GunPal has never been an authorized payment system on GunsAmerica. There is some confusion about this because some of the other sites where you can buy and sell guns did endorse and even integrate GPal/GunPal into their websites. We did not, even though we were offered a "deal” out of the profits like everyone else, and it was for a reason that we didn’t. A Paypal-like system for guns with similar fees in the 3% range is impossible for the gun industry. [Text edited for length.]

Now, back to GPal. Because even though we never endorsed GPal or integrated it into GunsAmerica, a number of our sellers did take payments through them. Many have emailed us that they are unable to withdraw their funds now and have asked for help. We also have a lot of buyers who buy guns on all the online sites who are caught in the middle and have emailed us to see if we know anything.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2010/10/gpal-aka-gunpal-payment-system-under-investigation/

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:07:29 PM EDT
[#43]

U.S. Army Places Huge Order for New M855A1 Ammo

ATK has received orders from the U.S. Army for nearly 300 million rounds of the new M855A1 Enhanced Performance Round (EPR). The EPR is an enhanced version of the M855 5.56mm cartridge, used by U.S. troops since the early 1980s. ATK also announced it has received additional orders worth $10 million for nonstandard ammunition (NSA) in support of its current NSA multi-year contract with the U.S. Army Contracting Command in Rock Island, Ill. The three-year contract calls for ATK to acquire and deliver a broad range of NSA, or non-NATO ammunition [such as 7.62x39], to Kabul, Afghanistan, to train and sustain allied security forces.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2010/10/u-s-army-places-huge-order-for-new-m855a1-ammo/

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:10:24 PM EDT
[#44]

Shooting USA TV Delivers the Goods This Week…

This week’s episodes of Impossible Shots and Shooting USA are definitely worth watching. On Impossible Shots, Bob Munden shoots 600-yard targets with a .44 Magnum handgun and Jerry Miculek shows off his steel-shooting skills. Wednesday’s Shooting USA episode is outstanding — it features the Fort Benning 3-Gun Match, followed by rifle shooting tips from top marksmen with the USAMU. Both Impossible Shots and ShootingUSA air multiple times each Wednesday on the Outdoor Channel, starting at 2:00 pm (Eastern) for Impossible Shots and 4:00 pm (Eastern) for Shooting USA (consult your local listings for other areas). Watch the video below for previews of both shows.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2010/10/shooting-usa-tv-delivers-the-goods-this-week/

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:45:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aztec223] [#45]
USAMU Champion Wins Army Soldier of the Year

A Soldier with 21 national rifle shooting records added one more trophy to the case Monday: the U.S. Army’s Soldier of the Year.

Sgt. Sherri Gallagher’s young life has been one of high achievement. Now the 26-year old rifle shooter/instructor for the Army Marksmanship Unit is the first female to win the Army’s Best Warrior competition.

"This is such an honor – I don’t think it has sunk in yet,” Gallagher said moments after the announcement here Monday. "Any one of us could have won the competition. I learned so much from everybody out here and loved every minute of this experience.

http://www.ammoland.com/2010/10/26/usamu-champion-wins-army-soldier-of-the-year/

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:16:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: aztec223] [#46]

Firearms Silencer Sales Jump 9% in 2010

Manasquan, NJ ––(Ammoland.com)- In a recent report released by the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF), approved National Firearms Act transfer stamps for silencers, over seen and approved by the BATFE, has grown by 9% in the fiscal year.

The chart below (go to link) represents the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives statistical records that exist on the total number of National Firearms Act transfer stamps issued by state Form 4s for approved silencers per fiscal year. States omitted from this report may not allow the sale of silencers. Number of silencers processed per Form 4 not available. *Fiscal year is defined as October 1-September 30.

Texas leads states with 3,621 approved sales, followed closely by Florida, 2,053 and Georgia at 1,153. Conspicuously missing are the anti gun nanny states of California, New Jersey and Rhode Island, who you would think would be first to encourage hearing protection and reduced noise pollution?

http://www.ammoland.com/2010/10/27/firearms-silencer-sales-jump-in-2010/
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:19:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Put our Right to Keep and Bear Arms back in the Kansas Constitution On November 2nd

A 1905 court ruling from the Kansas Supreme Court took the interpretation of Section 4 of the Kansas Constitution to mean the Right to Keep and Bear Arms only exists as a collective right for those in the militia or military and "NO INDIVIDUAL RIGHT EXISTS.”

For that reason, the NRA has worked with the Kansas State Rifle Association, Senator Mike Petersen and the Legislature, to pass a Constitutional Amendment during the 2009 legislative session, which provides new language that clarifies Section 4 and GUARANTEES an individual Right to Keep and Bear Arms. The language reads:

"A person has the right to keep and bear arms for the defense of self, family, home and state, for lawful hunting and recreational use, and for any other lawful purpose.”

http://www.ammoland.com/

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 8:25:35 PM EDT
[#48]

Pilot bans guns in workers' cars

NASHVILLE - Republican gubernatorial candidate Bill Haslam's support for requiring businesses to allow their workers to store guns in vehicles parked on company property conflicts with the policy in place for the 20,000 employees at a chain of truck stops his family owns.

But his position is in sync with the approach followed by the city of Knoxville, where he is mayor.

Pilot spokeswoman Cynthia Moxley told The Associated Press on Tuesday that Knoxville-based Pilot Flying J prohibits workers from storing firearms in their vehicles at both its travel centers and corporate offices.

Haslam said after a speech in Nashville on Tuesday that he was unaware of the policy.

Efforts to repeal a state law that lets companies decide whether to forbid employees from keeping guns in their cars while they work has pitted advocates like the National Rifle Association and Tennessee Firearms Association against business interests like the Tennessee Chamber of Commerce and Memphis-based Fedex Corp., whose lobbyists in committee hearings have argued that the gun ban is a workplace safety issue.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2010/oct/26/pilot-bans-guns-in-workers-cars/

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 7:44:00 PM EDT
[#49]

A 'Tea Party beauty pageant'

Miss Liberty America contestants must display beauty, brains, and basic firearms competency. A quick guide to the latest innovation in conservative culture

The conservative young women of America had better get into training now, says Tim Murphy at Mother Jones. Registration has opened for Miss Liberty America, a pageant that promises to give "America's elite feminine patriots" a chance to display their "patriotism, intelligence, talent, beauty," and precision rifle skills. When Murphy referred to the event as "the first-ever Tea Party beauty pageant," however, organizers took exception. Here's a concise guide:

http://theweek.com/article/index/208650/a-tea-party-beauty-pageant

Link Posted: 10/28/2010 7:50:16 PM EDT
[#50]

"If someone’s not complying with what the government requires of somebody, that’s usually a sign that you can’t trust them to follow the rules with something like a gun”

So sayeth Paul Helmke. The President of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence made the pro-Stalinist—I mean, pro-government remark whilst in support of proposed changes to the New York City police department’s concealed carry permitting process. This from a man who presumably has never been "arrested, indicted or convicted for a crime or violation, except minor traffic violations.” Such as a speeding ticket (I kid you not). Oh wait; it doesn’t matter. Helmke doesn’t live in The Big Apple nor carry a gun, presumably. In fact, it really doesn’t matter to anyone else, either, because New York City is already denying concealed carry permits to anyone save celebrities and other politically connected pals. But the language of the new regs is flat-out unconstitutional. fox.com charts the strange ch-ch-ch-changes . . .

If they have been arrested or convicted of almost any "violation,” in any state; having a "poor driving history”; having been fired for "circumstances that demonstrate lack of good judgment”; having "failed to pay legally required debts”; being deemed to lack "good moral character”; or if any other information demonstrates "other good cause for the denial of the permit.”

http://thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/10/robert-farago/if-someones-not-complying-with-what-the-government-requires-of-somebody-thats-usually-a-sign-that-you-cant-trust-them-to-follow-the-rules-with-something-like-a-gun/

Page / 9
Firearms news of note (Page 2 of 9)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top