Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2006 8:08:22 AM EDT
What are, if any, the laws pertaining to this? Can I legally give a regulated firearm to my father or do we need FFL etc? We both reside in Maryland. What about from step-son to step-father if step-father lives in a state where said firearm is not regulated (ie. WV)?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:28:28 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
What about from step-son to step-father if step-father lives in a state where said firearm is not regulated (ie. WV)?

IF it crosses state lines you MUST get a FFL involved.  Period - no exceptions.

I'll have to check the law on in-state family transfers of regulated weapons.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:34:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:35:43 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What are, if any, the laws pertaining to this? Can I legally give a regulated firearm to my father or do we need FFL etc? We both reside in Maryland.

It will need to go through MSP and the waiting period, per MD "restricted firearms" laws.
The fact that you're related means nothing in this context.

What about from step-son to step-father if step-father lives in a state where said firearm is not regulated (ie. WV)?

Interstate transfers have to go through an FFL, as per federal law.
Regulated or not has no bearing in this context.
The firearm, currently in MD, must be shipped to an FFL in WV, for transfer to the step-father. Whether it is regulated/restricted or not only matters at the receiving end. In the case of WV, it will be (properly) considered a "long gun", and a simple NICS, pay the FFL for his transfer and he can carry it out with him.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:43:46 PM EDT
[#4]
"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
What are, if any, the laws pertaining to this? Can I legally give a regulated firearm to my father or do we need FFL etc? We both reside in Maryland.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It will need to go through MSP and the waiting period, per MD "restricted firearms" laws.
The fact that you're related means nothing in this context."

-what if you are just loaning it to him for a few days or weeks, in-State?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:53:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
-what if you are just loaning it to him for a few days or weeks, in-State?

No different than selling it, as it will be out of your direct control and supervision.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top