Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2005 5:04:45 PM EDT
After 12K+ rounds, 8K+ of which were during my "shoot wolf, no clean" experiment, I finally broke the bolt.  A locking lug next to the extractor finaly broke off.  Although, the extractor is runnig A-OK (for you wolf haters out there ).
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:05:42 PM EDT
[#1]
So spend $50 and you are back in action....not bad for 12k
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:18:57 PM EDT
[#2]
what brand bolt?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:01:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Just buying another B/BC.  It was a M1S bolt.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:50:21 PM EDT
[#4]
It'll be more stuff in the spare parts bin now.

Clean the fuggin thing already.
More than once, I was tempted to clean it while you were busy, but wanted to see what happened when an AR was run into the dirt too.

How did you notice it was broken?
What's the metal look like where the lug broke?
Why do you think it broke?
Did it break on lockup, or unlock?
How's everything else look?
How many rounds did you put through it AFTER you discovered it was broken?

How did you run that thing for carbine class without Sully making you clean it?
Did you take it apart. look at it, and put it back together dirty?

Yes, it IS the inquisition!

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:52:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Pics, man, pics!

Glad you finally had a failure.  You never told me that I had to clean the chamber every thousand rounds or so, or you'd get a case stuck.

Now I won't feel so bad for doing a real cleaning.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:26:59 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You never told me that I had to clean the chamber every thousand rounds or so, or you'd get a case stuck.

About that ... are you running a stock extraction setup?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:33:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got the standard black inserts inside the "extra power" springs I picked up from Georgia Precision.  Ran ~1250+ rounds of Wolf without cleaning the chamber, running a snake down the bore, or adding any lube whatsoever.

Then the stuck case, which required a cleaning rod and some force to dislodge.

ETA: I cleaned the chamber (nothing on the lugs), lubed the hell out of it, and went back to 100% function (for now).  Am planning on painting the rifle something other than "target indicator black", so will be cleaning/degreasing the beast shortly.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:42:24 AM EDT
[#8]

How did you notice it was broken?
What's the metal look like where the lug broke?
Why do you think it broke?
Did it break on lockup, or unlock?
How's everything else look?
How many rounds did you put through it AFTER you discovered it was broken?
How did you run that thing for carbine class without Sully making you clean it?
Did you take it apart. look at it, and put it back together dirty?

I found the broken peice when I pulled the trigger and it didn't go bang.  The broken lug section had wedged itself between the bolt and the receiver, stopping the bolt from engaging the barrel lugs.  I cleared the weapon, and the peice fell into teh grass, never to be found again.  i wasn't sure what it was at first, but then I saw a clean spot in the weapon, and that's how I found the lug broken off .  After that, I fired off the rest of the mag, and figured I'd stop before I blew myself up.  As for when I pulled it apart at the class.. I looked at it, said, wow, there's a bunch of plastic goo on it, and threw it back in.  

Oh, and when the case sticks in the chamber, and you drive it out taking all the chamber goo with it , isn't that like cleaning the chamber?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:58:02 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Oh, and when the case sticks in the chamber, and you drive it out taking all the chamber goo with it , isn't that like cleaning the chamber?

My God.  The thought of not cleaning the rifle after every class and every month or so...

Cool experiment, though  
Does Wolf's build-up act as a lubricant after a while?

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:10:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

No.  The case came out clean, and I expect the goo had been fused to the chamber walls.

Quoted:
My God.  The thought of not cleaning the rifle after every class and every month or so...

I was "inspired" by MrPX, but I guess I missed the part about chamber cleaning after 1k rounds,   and lubrication every so often.  I deserve the stick, as I last cleaned the gun at the May class in Racine.  Like I said, it'll be cleaned, degreased, and painted shortly.  I won't be repeating the experiment, lest I break something PX-style.

Does Wolf's build-up act as a lubricant after a while?

I think it must, as I ran over a thousand rounds with nothing more than the initial application of Militec.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:49:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Well
I cut and pasted this from another forum, pretty much the same thing happened to me.I lost the lug on the bottom side closet to the extractor. I discoverd it at the end of day 2 when I stripped it to clean it, never found the lug. Gun kept running with out it for who know's how long during the second day. Should be getting a new bolt from Bushy. I'll let ya know how it turns out. According to Pat Roger's, this is a pretty repeatable issue he has seen with Bushy Bolts failing at the 10K mark. My bolt made it into his big picture book of failed parts, so I was pretty thrilled about that...

I Thought I'd let everyone know how my Broken Bolt is gonna pan out with Bushmaster. 1 locking lug broke on me sometime on Day 2 of Pat's July Indiana Class. I discovered it during cleaning at the end of the day.

This is my XM15E2S Carbine that I got in 94 and has approx 10K rds thru it.

So when I got home I emailed Bushmaster. They were gone to Camp Perry so I did not recieve a response until about a week later. (it's High power so I cut them some slack) I tell them the serial number and that it broke and how I would like a replacement, they responded back with a RMA # and an address as to where to return it. No questions asked at this point. So I mailed it out today. I did strip the bolt completly to include removing he gas rings, extractor and spring,ejector and spring. (curious if the give me a complete bolt or a stripped one)

Let ya know in a couple of days what I get

Harv
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:30:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Pretty sure that even during 'the test' MisterPX was lubing his rifle.

I can understand being occasionally lazy on the cleaning, but there's no excuse for denying the machine a shot of lube.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:02:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, 4 drops of Miltec every 600-1000 rounds.  If nothing else, the wolf goo seems to work as an excellent rust preventative .
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 8:21:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
After 12K+ rounds, 8K+ of which were during my "shoot wolf, no clean" experiment, I finally broke the bolt.  A locking lug next to the extractor finaly broke off.  Although, the extractor is runnig A-OK (for you wolf haters out there ).

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:00:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Ran it another 600 rounds today, and broke off the other lug next to the extractor.  Bolt is definately trash now.   Also broke the bolt release tab off somehow today.  Add that my McCormick trigger is all jacked up too, and I know why they say When things go south, they go south fast!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:10:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Now ya know why After market  triggers get a bad rap...... be thankful it was now and not when your NEEDED it...
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:41:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Why would I need a trigger in an AR when I have a FAL?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:49:15 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Ran it another 600 rounds today, and broke off the other lug next to the extractor.  Bolt is definately trash now.   Also broke the bolt release tab off somehow today.  Add that my McCormick trigger is all jacked up too, and I know why they say When things go south, they go south fast!

What'd you do, run it into the ground after I saw you?
Have you cleaned it yet??
Have you run the new BG?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:54:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I've ordered another LPK for my new lower, so when that gets here, I'll build up the new lower, then clean the old upper and install the new bolt group.  Anybody wanna buy a slightly dirty bolt carrier?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:31:39 PM EDT
[#20]
What's wrong with your existing lower?

Don't want it anymore?
I'm interested.

And Why TF didn't you mention you were ordering a LPK? I need one.

I bet we can burn a bead where the ears were, file it into shape and dunk it in the park-tank.
That old bolt 'll be good as new.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:54:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Aren't you supposed to "stock" a LPK?  

Any self appointed AR guru would have one of those ready to go.

I think I need to order another lower this week.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:04:07 AM EDT
[#22]
If I used all my spare parts to build up the new lower, then I wouldn't have any spare parts left .
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:10:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Here are some pics as she is.  I think I'll take it to work and use the pressure washer

Sorry about the focus, but I don't have teh camera instructions anymore.
I'm gonna say final count on the "no clean" experiment is 9K rounds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top