Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2009 12:08:27 PM EST
I need to buy some dirt to build a small private range on my property. I checked around and top soil is rediculously expensive so someone suggested fill dirt. It consits of subsoil which is mostly low quality dirt that contains clay and small rocks. Fill dirt is significantly cheaper. So I was wondering if this would be ok to use or will bullets ricochet off of the small rocks in the dirt? If it is ok to use, do any of you know who sells fill dirt in summit county?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:21:15 AM EST
An idea for you. You might want to try calling the tree service companies. They always have wood chips from the trees they cut down and are always looking for a place to dump them. They usually have to pay to dump them somewhere so they will probably dump them for you for free. In a couple years the wood chips becomes dirt and you should have a limited amount of rocks and stuff in them. Until the wood becomes dirt, a big enough pile of wood chips also makes a good backstop.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:59:18 AM EST
When your township, county or the state are cleaning ditches ask them if they need a place to dump. There are somethings like cleaning out the pop cans, beer cans and Wal-mart bags you have to deal with but it is free.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:21:06 AM EST
The rocks in fill dirt should not be a problem. If want to get free dirt/backstop material just post a sign out front saying "fill dirt wanted." You will all you want and then some if any landscaping/concrete guys go down your road.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:15:02 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/2/2009 1:18:58 PM EST by rosseubanks666]
Originally Posted By mcnizzle:
The rocks in fill dirt should not be a problem. If want to get free dirt/backstop material just post a sign out front saying "fill dirt wanted." You will all you want and then some if any landscaping/concrete guys go down your road.

What part of OH do you live, i know a guy who is literally clearing a whole hill with his excavator and is giving away massive amounts of decent top/fill. Mostly clay, some sandy, not much rocky material. There are always people wanting to get rid of material.

Last time we went over he was charging $10 for 6 ton, at $20 for 12 tons(Excellant price for clean fill) gives you a pretty large backstop of some pretty tough material. The charge is because he needs to put fuel in his machines and thus he is not really making any profit on this venture.

IM me if you're from the Springfield area. EDIT: I need to read better.... Ask around at your local materials company, i'm sure they know of people/companies

As far as letting people "dump" their "fill dirt" on your property i'd be very careful with that, you would have to be there when they dump and approve what they dump, because some peoples definition of "fill" is not as clean as others. I've seen the results of such practices.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Top Top