Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2008 3:05:35 PM EDT
Hey , How about that Gov. D.Patrick wanting to increase the annual LTC fees?

Wow? That would just about put MA in the running for the most expensive permit!! FL is more - but worth it with the reciprocation rights............

I'm just stirring the shit ya know - I left MA last year and haven't looked back - I'm just afraid they will cancell non-resident permits.

But I really do hope people are protesting this and sending the Ass-wipe an e-mail at least.......................

-JC
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 5:39:24 PM EDT
[#1]
annual, as in out-of-state permits?  how much?

eta-(from NRA news letter)

URGENT: Governor Patrick’s Anti-Gun Bill Heads to Committee!
Please Contact the Members of the Committee Today!

Yesterday, the Governor's appropriations bill was assigned a number H.4971 and was referred to the House Committee on Ways & Means.  As reported earlier this week, sections 24-27 will drastically increase certain firearm license fees.  

Sections 24 & 25 will increase state licensed firearm dealer's fees from $100 for three years to $250. In addition, licensed dealers will be charged an additional $100 inspection fee per year during each of the three years. This proposed bill would turn a $100 three-year dealer's license into a $450 three-year license.              

Section 26 would increase a resident License to Carry fee from $100 for six years to $200 for six years and Section 27 would increase a non-resident License to Carry fee from $100 for one year to $250 for one year.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 7:17:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
annual, as in out-of-state permits?  how much?

eta-(from NRA news letter)

URGENT: Governor Patrick’s Anti-Gun Bill Heads to Committee!
Please Contact the Members of the Committee Today!

Yesterday, the Governor's appropriations bill was assigned a number H.4971 and was referred to the House Committee on Ways & Means.  As reported earlier this week, sections 24-27 will drastically increase certain firearm license fees.  

Sections 24 & 25 will increase state licensed firearm dealer's fees from $100 for three years to $250. In addition, licensed dealers will be charged an additional $100 inspection fee per year during each of the three years. This proposed bill would turn a $100 three-year dealer's license into a $450 three-year license.              

Section 26 would increase a resident License to Carry fee from $100 for six years to $200 for six years and Section 27 would increase a non-resident License to Carry fee from $100 for one year to $250 for one year.

Fuuuuck that. You guys really need to start emulating some guys from your neck of the woods that started a fracas a few hundred years ago.

OUT OF CONTROL.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 4:12:57 AM EDT
[#3]
i did a search on the means and ways committee.  all but 5 of them are democrats, out of 30 something.  and only one, a democrat, is from the western part of the state.  near where i live.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:32:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Yup , MA is trying to price people out of gun ownership overall. Considering one can't even own a handgun there without a permit why else?

It's a right - so long as you can afford it.

-JC
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 5:27:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Time for you MA guys to have your own version of Heller.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 8:17:54 PM EDT
[#6]
wrote an email to all on the ways and means committee:

Although I am not a member of your district, I respectfully urge you to take a serious look at stopping House Bill H.4971.

As a lawful gun owner, shooting sports enthusiast, NRA member, GOAL member, and all-around Constitution loving individual, I am asking you to put a stop to the House Bill H. 4971.  We live in financially tight times.  And adding extra fees to a Constitutionally protected right is a down right abomination.  While adding $100 to my six year fee will not break my bank.  It will break the bank of those in tighter financial situations.  On top of that, adding $150 to the annual out-of-state permit holders will almost completely stop any out-of-state income.  Adding, what amounts to, $350 for the three year firearms dealers fees will shut down a lot of small business owners.  And that will further cripple our state and local economy.  Do you want to see that happen?

Please do your part to shoot down House Bill H.4971.

Thank you,

Steve

and got 4 responses.

Anne Gobi(D):

Dear Steve,

I agree and I am co-sponsoring amendments to change this.

Anne Gobi

Jeff Perry(R):

Dear Stephen,

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to express your opinion via your e-mail. It is important for people to speak out on the issues that are most important to you.

Regarding your comments, I share your concerns 100% and do not support any such increases!  In fact, I am sponsoring an amendment to lower the license fee!

Once again, thanks for your email and please feel free to continue to express your views!

Jeff Perry

Lewis Evangelidis(R):

Dear Steve,  
Thank you for your e-mail and as a member of GOAL I assure you that I am opposed to any fee increases for the sportsman and responsible gun owners in the Commonwealth.   I hope your having a good summer.

Sincerely,

Lew  

Karyn Polito(R):

Dear Steve,
Thank you for taking the time to contact me regarding House Bill 4971, An Act making appropriations for the fiscal year 2008, to provide for supplementing certain existing appropriations and for certain other activities and projects.  House Bill 4971 is currently in the House Ways and Means Committee. Please know that I oppose this legislation and have signed onto an amendment proposed by Representative Denis Guyer to eliminate these fees. I remain a strong supporter of the right to bear arms, and I agree with you that the Governor’s proposed amendment should not be adopted.
Thank you once again for contacting me with your views on this important issue.  I will keep them in mind when this legislation comes before the House for debate.  If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue or any other, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Sincerely,

Karyn
State Representative Karyn E Polito
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:34:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Well done DJSMILES. I sent a less well worded one to the govs office via an NRA link and received no response. You stated your concerns well. Thankyou.

BTW - I am no longer a MA resident , but do feel for my friends there.

-JC
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:08:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes!  WEll done.

It might also be pointed out that the BAD GUYS won't be bothered by the increased fees in the slightest!!

Rome
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 4:32:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Well hey OK !!! It was denied - shot down !! The fee increase will not go through - this time at least. that's good news and I'm glad. You still won't catch me moving back to MA anytime ever - but it is good news. That and I received my non-resident permit in the mail a couple days ago and it won't cost more to renew either!!!

Yahoo - screw Gov. Patrick and his anti-gun ways. Congratulations and good work.

-JC
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 5:58:03 PM EDT
[#10]
i heard rumors that the fee may be decreased.  i wonder how true that is....
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 6:49:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

An attempt was made to modify the bill to reduce the resident fee to $40.00 and increase the NR term to 6 years. This failed, regrettably. So we're stuck with what we had, but at least we didn't get screwed again.
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 2:46:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

An attempt was made to modify the bill to reduce the resident fee to $40.00 and increase the NR term to 6 years. This failed, regrettably. So we're stuck with what we had, but at least we didn't get screwed again.

very true.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top