Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/4/2006 9:37:51 PM EDT
Not much action here on the NM forum.  We'll have to change that.

I accepted the offer in Farmington and will start towards the end of March.  This southern boy has lived all over, but this is farther south than I have lived since college.  I'm looking forward to it.

Any gun clubs?  I am freakin spoiled by my current gun club, nice ranges and this winter I have only had to fight the cold for them.  Many trips I have had the entire compound to myself.  I guess a couple million acres of BLM land and year round good weather is ok too.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:47:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats on the move!  That sounds like a good part of NM to live in.  I recently moved to Roswell from Northern Colorado.  Its been so warm here we dont feel like we had a winter this year.hinking.gif

You are right about this part of the forum not having very much action.  Lets liven it up.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:12:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Congratulations on the decision - I believe you'll like the area.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:32:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Party time  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:56:45 PM EDT
[#4]
IMHO,

Gun ranges are very obsolete when you have so much federal land and nice weather.  Find a spot with prairie dogs, and make it your own range.  I have a small place like that here near Taos, and I shoot there alot.  Set up away from the dog town and plink and sight.  Stop by the dog town to test your skills.  Another spot has rocks at any distance that you could ever want to shoot.  The trick is to work up a mobile facility.  A decent bench, target holder, a little steel and lots of fluids.  Driving to and from, you have rabbits, coyotes and other critters.  I almost rolled my jeep one day, trying to stop fast enough to catch up with what looked like a badger.  Ranges can be way over-rated.

If you really get the hankering for a nice range, spend an overnighter at the Whittington Center in Raton.

Welcome to NM.

Craig
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:08:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Congrats on the move!  That sounds like a good part of NM to live in.  I recently moved to Roswell from Northern Colorado.  Its been so warm here we dont feel like we had a winter this year.

You are right about this part of the forum not having very much action.  Lets liven it up.

Yeah, Roswell would be quite a change from northern CO.

I have the moving truck all lined up and will spend this weekend breaking down stuff and putting into boxes.  Going to be driving down around 3/20 so I will pack the truck that weekend.

You're right about the ranges bear bait.  MT is no stranger to BLM land, however my gun club is so close and so nice I don't usually shoot out in the middle of nowhere unless its at furry critters.  I use a small folding table and a 5 gallon bucket for off range shooting.  

Houses aren't cheap in Farmington, thats for sure.  Looks like anything in the 100k-125k range is of the "pre-manufactured" variety.  I may be from the south but I am not sure about living in a trailer.  Actually its the return on investment part that bothers me, I have rented a couple trailers over the years..
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:10:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Houses aren't cheap in Farmington, thats for sure.  Looks like anything in the 100k-125k range is of the "pre-manufactured" variety.  I may be from the south but I am not sure about living in a trailer.  Actually its the return on investment part that bothers me, I have rented a couple trailers over the years..

You are not the only one who was suprised about the housing costs down here.  Man alive!

We have avoided manufactured homes for the same reasons.  Although I heard recently the resale isn't quite so bad around here and banks seem to be more flexable on them, at least compared to what we saw up north.

Best of luck on the move.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:51:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:38:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Pricing for houses is going up in the Las Cruces area as well, My GF is selling her townhouse for 20k more then she bought it for new a couple years ago.  I work in the buildng materials supply industry and while prices have gone up some due to fuel, most lumber yards are selling commodities (lumber,pvc,portland) below cost to get people in the door.  The rapid growth of the area is what seems to be driving housing up.  One of the builders tried to feed my girl a line of Horseshit about materials pricing going up when he bumped the house he was trying to build for her up 30k after an initial estimate.  Needless to say she went elsewhere.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:16:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
IMHO,

Gun ranges are very obsolete when you have so much federal land and nice weather.  Find a spot with prairie dogs, and make it your own range.  I have a small place like that here near Taos, and I shoot there alot.  Set up away from the dog town and plink and sight.  Stop by the dog town to test your skills.  Another spot has rocks at any distance that you could ever want to shoot.  The trick is to work up a mobile facility.  A decent bench, target holder, a little steel and lots of fluids.  Driving to and from, you have rabbits, coyotes and other critters.  I almost rolled my jeep one day, trying to stop fast enough to catch up with what looked like a badger.  Ranges can be way over-rated.

If you really get the hankering for a nice range, spend an overnighter at the Whittington Center in Raton.

Welcome to NM.

Craig

Just remember to leave it better then what you found it. I hate when people bring all there crap, like TVs, shoot the crap out of them and just leave all that junk there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top