Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/10/2010 7:35:41 PM EDT
After the amazing success of the chickens and turkeys we raised, I'm looking at raising freezer chickens. I've lived "down on the farm" before and have all the requisite skills to pull this off without issue, since it's really just a matter of feed/water management after they're out of the incubator.

I'd like to offer anyone that wants "In" has chance to do so. I'm raising 50 birds for myself, and will ensure any failures are covered out of my end, meaning you pay for a lot of 10, you get a lot of ten. The Largest birds will go to those buying in first, to ensure that everyone gets what they paid for.

I have to do a little bit more reseach before landing on a solid price, to see if I can land a better deal on feed. In the event I can't, these are going to be the costs.

Here's what I'm looking at:

<Edited- Contact me via IM for what it costs me>

Why? Well, here's the advantage, no drugs, steroids, ect,ect...these birds are healthier since they're not raised in large coop farms, and they'll free range on bugs, grass, ect. These'll taste better than store bought, and they'll be much larger. I can't call these organic since I'm not "Certified", and I've used RoundUp on the weeds around my place in the last 5 years. I might've even used Weed-N-Feed 3 years ago, whatever.

We'll slaughter at 8 weeks, and at that time, the individual pre-process weight should be around 10 lbs. Pretty much, you're looking at damn near "Organic" yardbird for a cost of **** if each bird is on the low side of 8 lbs, post-processing, around **** if each bird is 10lbs/post-processing.

Contact me via IM if you "In", No Later Than Jan 31, payment in the form of checks, cash, or barter by Feb 15th.

I need the lead time to order the chicks, I expect deliver by Feb 28th or so. Birds to be processed around the first week of May.

ETA- Chick/Feed price adjustment. Again.
Link Posted: 1/10/2010 7:49:23 PM EDT
[#1]
If any hens get old enough to lay eggs, those are a bonus.  The best eggs I've ever eaten have been from the 12 hens we've raised since spring, and the cost is chicken feed!
Link Posted: 1/10/2010 7:53:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

If any hens get old enough to lay eggs, those are a bonus. The best eggs I've ever eaten have been from the 12 hens we've raised spring, and the cost is chicken feed!

Mrs45 Did laying hens with the turkeys this past year. She managed to get 3 fryers in the mix of 22 she bought. Damn tasty birds.....we still have 13 layers, 2 roosters and are getting 9-11 eggs/day.
Link Posted: 1/10/2010 8:09:24 PM EDT
[#3]
my mom had a half dozen laying chickens for years, they had way way more eggs than they could use and would give them away, remember not to wash the eggs till your ready to use them because it also washes off some natural coating.

T
Link Posted: 1/10/2010 9:56:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
my mom had a half dozen laying chickens for years, they had way way more eggs than they could use and would give them away, remember not to wash the eggs till your ready to use them because it also washes off some natural coating.

T

The coating is called "cuticle", and if you don't wash the eggs, they will last for around three months when properly refrigerated.  The cuticle keeps oxygen and bacteria out of the egg, helping it last longer.  Store bought eggs have had the cuticle washed off in an effort to provide squeamish "all food comes from the store and is nice and clean" consumers with picture perfect eggs, and they will not stay fresh as long as unwashed eggs, even if there is a little bit of shit on the "fresh from the the chickens butt" eggs.

You can tell if an egg is good by floating it in water that is deeper than the egg is tall.  If it floats, toss it.  If it hovers near the middle of the depth of water, you can bake with it, but it is not recommended to eat it fried, scrambled, or soft boiled.  If it sinks to the bottom, it's a nice fresh egg.
Link Posted: 1/10/2010 10:05:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I knew about the cuticle, generally we only wash the ones that have a significant amount of shit stuck to them, but we also give away a great deal of them to freinds so they don't stay long, SE63, 45ColtBisley and 161Infantry can all testify to the quality

A great deal of our eggs go to my buddy who ones a bar/grill/beanery here in town. I get free dinner for the family once a month out of the exchange.

I'e heard the water trick before, but heard it as being salt water, something to do with specific gravities?
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 8:49:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I know I'm not a drysider, but I may be in on this.  I'll think about it and let you know soon.
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 9:42:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I know I'm not a drysider, but I may be in on this. I'll think about it and let you know soon.

I guess I should say I didn't really mean to exlude you soggy types....I figured the logistics of it all would prohibit this endeavor to geographic right of Ellensburg...
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 10:25:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, but I'm Timmy.  Logistics don't apply to me.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 10:34:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I like the idea of self sustenance and organic, but am a family of 3, so going to pass on eating 10 chickens in however many sittings

If you're thinking of an organic chicken farm? I'd be in on that (i.e. sell my lot for some profit?)
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 11:27:04 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I like the idea of self sustenance and organic, but am a family of 3, so going to pass on eating 10 chickens in however many sittings

If you're thinking of an organic chicken farm? I'd be in on that (i.e. sell my lot for some profit?)

We're a family of four, and eat chicken once a week, sometimes twice. Lots of Italian, Mexican, and Chinese dishes, as opposed to your norm of fried/baked whatever....but sometimes wing night comes around.

We settled on 50 birds for us since it's very well within reason to expect these birds to achieve the 10lbs per mark....that's 500 lbs of poultry, I know. A portion of these are going to family friend as part trade on next years pig. We'll freezer package ours, and I'll take about half of that and package them as parts, wings/thigh/breasts, not just whole roasters. I have two freezers just for this purpose. We also buy 1/2 of a  beef, and a whole pig every year.

As far as an "organic" farm, no...

I don't really have the space to make this profitable. If I had any real aspirations, it'd be to supply a quality bird to friends and neighbors who don't have the room or ability. I'd be thrilled to develop this into something I do on the side once a year, but still sell off the flock to have half of the expenses for my own birds covered.

From what I understand, it's a more complicated process getting "certified" than you might realize, and, for the most part, I really don't buy into the dirty hippie/eco-nazi/feel good "Cradle the Mommy Earth" crap. What I do believe is that dollar for dollar I can raise a far better, healthier, bird than you'd find at the grocery store. The last reason, is also the best IMHO, I'm doing this, in part, because I want my kids to understand by doing and through experiance, that your food does NOT have to come from a store, you CAN be self-sufficient, and that it's NOT really difficult.

Link Posted: 1/11/2010 11:50:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Foster Farms all natural...did ya see the commerical...and live chickens poop.......
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 1:43:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I really don't buy into the dirty hippie/eco-nazi/feel good "Cradle the Mommy Earth" crap.

was thinking a bit more from the preppers/SHTF perspective I suppose, vs. the eco thingie.

I hear ya, I just want to say it's really great to see you help WAHTF this way
(helping friends, more like a barter & co-op vs. what I was thinking of $$$
)

Link Posted: 1/11/2010 8:29:51 PM EDT
[#13]
thinking seriously about this....

however................

on another note, what would we be lookin' at to get a couple 40 pound turkeys?
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 11:05:23 PM EDT
[#14]

wishing I still lived on a farm..........................................
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 11:23:22 PM EDT
[#15]
When are you thinking of getting this started?  Figure 8 weeks after until the birds are ready?  I'd be in on this for a coupld just for shits and grins, but I don't leave Baghdad until aboutthe 10th of May and then another couple weeks until I'm home in Spokane.  If Memorial day-ish fits your "production" schedule, I'm in for 2-3 birds.Let me know. paypal work for $$?
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 6:15:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Coug- I'll talk to the Mrs, but I don't see why I couldn't sell ya two of mine whenever you get back, unless you want to split a lot with another ARFCOMMER.....anyone....Bueller

The birds usually come in right at the end of February....so 1st or second week of May is what I'm looking at for delivery time frame.

I'm not nailing down a hard date since I want some flexibility, and I have to schedule things with my processor about 10 days out. I won't know *exactly* when the birds will be ready to go, and if I want the extra week to get them to weight if necessary.

Sorry Bro, I don't use Pay-Pal, they are anti-gun. I'll accept cash, check, and barter in advance.

For 2 birds, cash FTF at time of delivery, and no, I won't drive to Pullman

Turkeys.....Are most likely going to be spendier. Let me speak with the Mrs, and I'll get back to you.
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 6:37:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
When are you thinking of getting this started?  Figure 8 weeks after until the birds are ready?  I'd be in on this for a coupld just for shits and grins, but I don't leave Baghdad until aboutthe 10th of May and then another couple weeks until I'm home in Spokane.  If Memorial day-ish fits your "production" schedule, I'm in for 2-3 birds.Let me know. paypal work for $$?

I might be willing to deal with you on this as well.  10 birds is a lot for a single guy.  I don't see why we can't get some group action going on.  I'll most likely see Matt45 (hopefully at LCR) soon, and if not, it's easy enough to mail him a check from here.  This would have made a great IM.  IM inbound.
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 6:47:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Mrs. ZeroZero may quite possibly be into this. I'll pass it along and see what she says.

We're on the wetside (Seattle), and if I recall correctly, you're on the dryside. Would we need to come out there to get them? A weekend roadtrip is easy to arrange, and all that's needed is an excuse.
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 6:55:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Z-Z, et al......I'm seeing a great potential for an Eastside GTG. You are correct, I'm in the Spokane-ish area.

Let me speak w/ Mrs45....14-16 or 21-23 May? I'm not sure I want to wait until Memorial Day, or mess with that 4 day holiday....28-31 May.
ETA-

I don't see why we can't get some group action going on.

Sigline material. It's there, and you don't have to look very hard.

Link Posted: 1/12/2010 6:09:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Damn, I miss our chickens.  New HOA says no yardbirds.  I hate paying for eggs.
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 6:17:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Matt

We have a farm on the wet side and get feed in Tacoma from Excel feed.  It's much cheaper and comes in 80# bags.  IM me if you need there number.  Maybe you could work a deal and have someone deliver some feed to you for some birds.  I should be going over the pass around the mid to end of feb I don't need any birds but would be happy to meet up with you and deliver 1000# or more of feed to you of your choice from Excel.  I have no affilitation with them they are just the cheapest around, they make it on site.  Have fun.

Link Posted: 1/12/2010 6:28:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 6:28:15 PM EDT
[#23]
<sorry>
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 6:47:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 7:06:58 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Matt

We have a farm on the wet side and get feed in Tacoma from Excel feed. It's much cheaper and comes in 80# bags. IM me if you need there number. Maybe you could work a deal and have someone deliver some feed to you for some birds. I should be going over the pass around the mid to end of feb I don't need any birds but would be happy to meet up with you and deliver 1000# or more of feed to you of your choice from Excel. I have no affilitation with them they are just the cheapest around, they make it on site. Have fun.

I'd like to check that out, any way you can get me a content tag off of one of the bags? I've been missing him, but I had previously spoken to the warehouse guy at my local Cenex who told me he could cut a pretty good deal. Their feed is pretty good, no animal byproducts.

A *Small* part of my problem is that I'm not allowed by my current restrictions from lifting anything over 30#. I do so, and the Army cacels my orders and my medical problems are my own, without the benefit of Insurance, but there's more than one way to de-fur a feline.

Link Posted: 1/12/2010 7:07:33 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

<sorry>

Yes, You are.

"Very"

Link Posted: 1/13/2010 1:09:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Matt

I just got feed yesterday for our layers and will give you the contents tonight.  Hope you are out of the sleep study and safe.  Talk with you soon.

Link Posted: 1/13/2010 1:37:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Take to the E-I-E-I-O!  

Somebody had to say it!

Link Posted: 1/13/2010 2:15:16 PM EDT
[#29]
So will these chickens be killed in accordance within the tenants of Islam to make them Halal? In'Sha'Allah.....what is the delivery fee to my door??
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 5:34:12 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

So will these chickens be killed in accordance within the tenants of Islam to make them Halal? In'Sha'Allah.....what is the delivery fee to my door??

Yes, I will follow the strict examples I observed in J'sir Diyala and Zafrinia. Using only my right hand, mostly, with a Rusty-ish knife I'll whack at it several times ineffectually. I'll finally just twist the screaming animals neck until it's head comes off. After that, I'll make sure to allow the bird to flop headless in a dust  and dirt I'll gather from side of Hwy 27. Once it's done, I'll have to place it under a few heat lamps to simulate the 2 hour "Rest" time in 130+ temps. After that, a simple rinse with water obtained just downstream from the waste treatment plant, and I think I can place it on a dirty block of ice to cool in the shade.

Strict enough for you Habibee?

Delivery fee is a *minor* sacrifice to the Great One. Do you have that "vest" I gave you?

Link Posted: 1/13/2010 5:38:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, I will follow the strict examples I observed in J'sir Diyala and Zafrinia. Using only my right hand, mostly, with a Rusty-ish knife I'll whack at it several times ineffectually. I'll finally just twist the screaming animals neck until it's head comes off. After that, I'll make sure to allow the bird to flop headless in a dust  and dirt I'll gather from side of Hwy 27. Once it's done, I'll have to place it under a few heat lamps to simulate the 2 hour "Rest" time in 130+ temps. After that, a simple rinse with water obtained just downstream from the waste treatment plant, and I think I can place it on a dirty block of ice to cool in the shade.

Strict enough for you Habibee?

Delivery fee is a *minor* sacrifice to the Great One. Do you have that "vest" I gave you?
Not Baghdaddy halal..but Mecca Halal..also to meet strict Kosher standards.....In'Sha'Allah......the redeemer, the holy see and the prophet...., peace unto my fellow brothers......

Link Posted: 1/13/2010 5:39:48 PM EDT
[#32]
If you don't dunk it in pigs blood I don't want any.
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 6:11:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Dino- You can dip your own birds just as well as I can!

Quoted:

Not Baghdaddy halal..but Mecca Halal..also to meet strict Kosher standards.....In'Sha'Allah......the redeemer, the holy see and the prophet...., peace unto my fellow brothers......

Nope, can't do Halah how you like it this isn't Schwarma King!!

You'll still need the "vest".
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 7:41:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Matt 45 you know I got your back!! If we need to do a road trip to cut down on the cost of feed then I am your strong man. In turn it will reduce the cost for all and for the people only wanting a few birds. All you got to do is ask and I am there.

I have eaten alot of the eggs produced from the chickens of Matt45 and they are way better than any store bought steroid filled cluster you can buy.

NOTHING BUT LOVE!!!
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 8:22:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Don't let DoberDude in on this. If memory recalls he and a pal or 2 were pointing fingers at each other over dirty deds with his chicken.

Not really fit for diccusion in the WAHTF.
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 9:39:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Matt

here is the info off of my 80# bag of feed from X-Cel.  This is layer ration complete, you would want a grower with more protein for faster growth, we kill ours at 8 weeks.  

Crude Protein 16%
Lysine .6%
Methionine .1%
Crude Fat 2.00%
Crude Fiber 6.50%
Calcium Min 3.20
Calcium Max 4.00
Phosphorus .45%
Salt 1-4%

If you have any questions please let me know.  I would be happy to help and the offer to meet up is still on the table if you need it.  Have a good one.

Josh
Link Posted: 1/14/2010 11:51:13 AM EDT
[#37]
*Sweet*

ZG-

Let me compare tags, look at Cenex's, figure out bulk costs, distill it all down to something I can comprehend, and I'll get back to you!

Matt
Link Posted: 1/14/2010 12:15:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Crude Protein 16%

Actually, I prefer my protein a little more well-behaved.

Nothing ruins protein like a bunch of dick jokes and nose pickin'.
Link Posted: 1/15/2010 6:59:35 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When are you thinking of getting this started? Figure 8 weeks after until the birds are ready? I'd be in on this for a coupld just for shits and grins, but I don't leave Baghdad until aboutthe 10th of May and then another couple weeks until I'm home in Spokane. If Memorial day-ish fits your "production" schedule, I'm in for 2-3 birds.Let me know. paypal work for $$?

I might be willing to deal with you on this as well. 10 birds is a lot for a single guy. I don't see why we can't get some group action going on. I'll most likely see Matt45 (hopefully at LCR) soon, and if not, it's easy enough to mail him a check from here. This would have made a great IM. IM inbound.

Timmy -

Thanks or the IM,  Sounds good to me.  I just want a couple to give it a try.

Thank,

Don

Link Posted: 1/15/2010 1:16:38 PM EDT
[#40]
50 chickens?

I have to tend to 100 chickens, daily...on the wetside no less... And I have to be on the lookout for bobcats and coyotes nightly...

And YES the bobcat/coyote threat is real...We lost about 40 chickens to the freaking bobcat a few years ago..

But fresh eggs are good. We were getting about 15 eggs daily before winter (with only 10 grown chickens; the rest where chicks)

I can not wait for spring..~75 eggs daily...
Link Posted: 1/15/2010 1:49:14 PM EDT
[#41]
10 chickens...= 15 eggs a day....hmmmm..........
Link Posted: 1/15/2010 2:18:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

chicks grow at different rates...some of the chicks started laying eggs before winter set in...
Link Posted: 1/15/2010 2:38:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

chicks grow at different rates...some of the chicks started laying eggs before winter set in...
That was pensive Hmmm..sounds like a good idea...

Link Posted: 1/15/2010 5:01:25 PM EDT
[#44]

100 laying hens? Why???

Are you making any money selling eggs?
I haven't had any issues with coyotes or badgers, but I had to run a couple of different dogs off.

My 13 layers and turkey hen produce between 9-12 eggs a day. I'll add a few hens if there any in with the meat chickens, but don't want to increase much past 20 birds. As far as the meat chickens, I'll start with my base of 50, plus additional lots of 10. It's looking like I'll also be in the 100 bird range, but it'll only be for 2 months.

Link Posted: 1/15/2010 5:14:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
100 laying hens? Why???

Are you making any money selling eggs?

I haven't had any issues with coyotes or badgers, but I had to run a couple of different dogs off.

and you didnt shoot them?? Your slipping.....
Link Posted: 1/15/2010 5:17:42 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

and you didnt shoot them?? Your slipping.....

I didn't say nuthin' about 'nuthin, now did I? Last I checked there was THREE S's....

Link Posted: 1/15/2010 9:11:00 PM EDT
[#47]
We have over 100 hens and yep we sell the eggs.  Actually can't keep em at $3 a dozen.
Link Posted: 1/15/2010 10:53:18 PM EDT
[#48]
We had about 100 but if i remember right (I'm too preoccupied with school again) I think there like 13 roosters in the lot, so they became soup flavoring... so there are only about 85 left with a few roosters, but bobcats are a real problem.. one has been spotted in the area, and a few weeks ago, I actually saw a coyote too in the morning, not to mention the other times they howl at night in the immediate area...

About 15 people are fed daily (6 residents in addition to family,), plus there is pastries, cakes and what nots the are made weekly, so the 10-15 daily eggs cover the needs, and some still get sent to friends and family, but when 80 or so get made a day, we may have to start selling eggs.

Anybody around the KING/SNO line need any eggs?
Link Posted: 1/15/2010 10:59:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/16/2010 3:40:36 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

We have over 100 hens and yep we sell the eggs. Actually can't keep em at $3 a dozen.

I was paying $5/dozen for eggs at the Liberty Lake farmers' market summer before last.  $3 is a steal!

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top