Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2018 2:46:23 PM EDT
Edit: Just paid tax like every other yuppie

Looking at UTV's and cant seem to find what constitutes farm use? Is it a matter of how many acres you have?

Im a Lafayette Co and all I see is that you can drive it within 3 miles of home outside city limits?

Also, if I buy one from a KS dealer...do I avoid sales tax? (from what I gather there is no title or registration??)

Clear as mud Any info would be great.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 3:19:33 PM EDT
[#1]
If there's no title or registration, then you'd pay sales tax at the dealer when you purchase.

The only alternative would be to have it shipped across the state lines, which I would think may be more expensive than sales tax.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 3:49:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 4:18:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Just be careful up there in Farmington if you take your SxS out on the road.  
I've heard from several friends that they are not real friendly about it like they are out in some of the counties...

We ended up picking up a 2018 Polaris Ranger from Midwest right there at 221 and 67...  I love that thing...  Trying not so sink a ton of money in it like I have done with past hobbies...  Not being able to afford to, is really helping me not buy every gizmo under the sun...

We mostly use ours for ""Farm Use, but last weekend we did go on a 94 mile ride round trip.  Stopped off at that Crown Valley Brewery for lunch, had a nice Bison Reuben Sandwich and a few cocktails...
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 9:39:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I can't answer about what constitutes "farm use"

I can tell you that if you get a smaller UTV that is 50" wide or less, then it most definitely has to be registered ( same as an ATV). Examples of UTVs that have to be registered are the Honda Pioneer 500 and Polaris RZR 570.

I had the local license office tell me that I did not have to register my Pioneer 500 and few months later I got a nasty gram from the state stating that I did indeed have to register it. The state did wave the late fees since it wasn't my fault.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 6:05:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can't answer about what constitutes "farm use"

I can tell you that if you get a smaller UTV that is 50" wide or less, then it most definitely has to be registered ( same as an ATV). Examples of UTVs that have to be registered are the Honda Pioneer 500 and Polaris RZR 570.

I had the local license office tell me that I did not have to register my Pioneer 500 and few months later I got a nasty gram from the state stating that I did indeed have to register it. The state did wave the late fees since it wasn't my fault.
View Quote
I'm guessing that is what will happen to me...

I did ask the sales guy and he said since this is for Farm use , they don't send anything in and I don't have to title or pay taxes on it...  I'm expecting a nasty letter in the next 2-3 months, hitting me up for Sales tax + Penalty, then to get hit with they yearly Personal Prop tax at the end of the year....   Hoping not though.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 10:04:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I did ask the sales guy and he said since this is for Farm use , they don't send anything in and I don't have to title or pay taxes on it...  I'm expecting a nasty letter in the next 2-3 months, hitting me up for Sales tax + Penalty, then to get hit with they yearly Personal Prop tax at the end of the year....   Hoping not though.
View Quote
When I called the office in Jeff City after getting the letter, they explained that any UTV 50" wide or less has to be registered just like an ATV does. Any UTV 51" wide or more does not. The state goes by what the manufacturer lists as the width.

I think the main reason for having to register 50" wide UTVs is due to the fact that they can be used at the two off-road vehicle state parks (they limit vehicle width to 50")
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 10:44:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
When I called the office in Jeff City after getting the letter, they explained that any UTV 50" wide or less has to be registered just like an ATV does. Any UTV 51" wide or more does not. The state goes by what the manufacturer lists as the width.

I think the main reason for having to register 50" wide UTVs is due to the fact that they can be used at the two off-road vehicle state parks (they limit vehicle width to 50")
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sweet, my 1000 is 62.5" Wide...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top