Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2010 10:51:25 AM EDT
I think it is cool that a private company is doing this. They are saying that Obama

wants space work to be funded privately. But he is doing everything he can to

defund the wealthy. I see that as a direct conflict.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 11:32:53 AM EDT
That was a .gov contract. SpaceX is just another space contractor.
Link Posted: 6/4/2010 11:47:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By RiverSwine45:

Are you saying that the Government paid them to launch a test rocket?

Link Posted: 6/4/2010 12:09:15 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Banditman:

Originally Posted By RiverSwine45:

Are you saying that the Government paid them to launch a test rocket?

http://www.spacex.com/cotsd.php

Wednesday, February 11th, 2009

This will be a very big year for SpaceX and the NASA Commercial Orbital Transportation Services (COTS) program. In 2006, SpaceX won the NASA COTS competition to demonstrate transport of cargo and optionally crew to and from the International Space Station. Under that agreement, SpaceX will conduct the second flight of its Falcon 9 launch vehicle and first flight of its Dragon spacecraft in 2009. The final flight, scheduled for 2010, will demonstrate Dragon's ability to berth with the Space Station.

Immediately thereafter, SpaceX will begin conducting the first of 12 operational cargo flights to the Space Station, awarded under the Cargo Resupply Services contract a few months ago. The CRS contract has a minimum value of $1.6B and a maximum value of $3.1B and, as stated by NASA, its success is vital to the future of the Space Station.

I copied this from a Falcon 9 thread post in GD, but ya they did pay for a test. No different than the Aries1X test. It is not privatized as it is being sold to be.
Top Top