Arizona Capitol Museum
1700 West Washington
Phoenix, AZ 85007
Ph: (602) 542-4675
www.lib.az.us

Hours: Mon-Fri: 8am-5pm; Sat:
10am-5pm; Sun: 12pm-5pm
                                             Admission: Free

It's one of 25 original copies of the DofI. This  particular copy has an interesting recent history:

In 1989, an unsuspecting shopper forked over $4 for a painting while hunting for bargains at a local flea market. After noticing a tear in the painting, the owner made a stunning discovery. Tucked behind it was an original copy of the  Declaration of Independence.

Eleven years later, TV producer Norman Lear  purchased the historic document for $8.2 million  with a special goal in mind - he wanted to share the "People's Document" with the American public. Now, his dream has come to life with  the Declaration of Independence Road Trip, a  project that will bring the 225-year-old document cross-country over the next two years.

Okay, so Norman Lear is a first-class shit-eating Communist. But hey, it's the Declaration of Independence. How many times have do you ever get a chance to see an ORIGINAL outside of going to D.C.?

I remember last time I was in D.C. I saw it, it was... bittersweet. Mixed emotions to say the least.

Link Posted: 9/26/2003 3:58:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey thanks for the info.  Ill be going.
Mike
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 4:03:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 8:39:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I take care of the maint part of the Museum..
love my job!!!.....SO HOPE TO MEET SOME OF YOU!

Link Posted: 9/27/2003 1:04:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Very cool. Thanks for posting that, I think I'll go on the 11th.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 11:58:34 AM EDT
[#5]
BTT. Anybody go yet? Will they allow photographs to be taken? Going Sat. morning on the way thru Phx.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top