Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2014 11:16:17 PM EDT
Local gun shop recently called in on a couple of guys for new firearm purchases. They were declined and told their FOID cards were voided and to be confiscated by the gun shop per the State Police for pick up later.
These two have had their FOID cards for 25 and 40 years. The one with 40 years had a battery in 1978 and they say that is why his card was cancelled. Since the new laws about domestic issues were enacted
will the state of Illinois be doing background checks further back and more in depth on everyone? I see this will possibly also cause an issue with those who have FFL's in this state.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:32:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, these background checks are ongoing....anyone with any kind of domestic is getting FOID pulled..  We are working on a case in Mt. Carmel with a lady that allegedly slapped her estranged husband 13 years ago, plead to simple battery and had her FOID pulled 2 years ago.  
The wife and I are collecting information on these cases and trying to get the ISP to change their rule.
If you want to, have the denied folks contact Valinda with details...no grantees we can help, but we will try.  Right now, no one else is trying to help these folks.
[email protected]
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:46:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Are the background checks occurring in coincidence with FOID renewals and firearm purchases, or does the ISP have a non-stop background check process in place for all FOID holders?
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:05:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are the background checks occurring in coincidence with FOID renewals and firearm purchases, or does the ISP have a non-stop background check process in place for all FOID holders?
View Quote

I've read on IL Carry that the ISP runs every FOID holder through the NCIS database DAILY.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:36:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I've read on IL Carry that the ISP runs every FOID holder through the NCIS database DAILY.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"The standard practice of completing daily mental health and criminal history reviews will continue on all FOID applicants and cardholders."

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 11:21:49 AM EDT
[#5]
ISP got in trouble with Feds. for not reporting domestics.  They are now scouring records and acting (mostly inappropriately) when they find them.
An application for CC will definitely trigger this search.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:08:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which really makes you wonder why they need 90/120 days to approve or deny a CCL.

I guess if they jam up enough ordinarily law abiding citizens over minor stuff, they don't have to worry about approving any CCLs. Not that I'm calling domestic abuse minor, but it seems like someone that gets accused has very little recourse and is presumed guilty.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:33:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yes, these background checks are ongoing....anyone with any kind of domestic is getting FOID pulled..  We are working on a case in Mt. Carmel with a lady that allegedly slapped her estranged husband 13 years ago, plead to simple battery and had her FOID pulled 2 years ago.  
The wife and I are collecting information on these cases and trying to get the ISP to change their rule.
If you want to, have the denied folks contact Valinda with details...no grantees we can help, but we will try.  Right now, no one else is trying to help these folks.
[email protected]
View Quote

How will 18U.S.C.&922(g)9 affect your efforts to get the ISP to change their rule?
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 7:05:13 PM EDT
[#8]
How will 18U.S.C.&922(g)9 affect your efforts to get the ISP to change their rule?
View Quote

This is too big of a question for this forum...The relief process is what we are targeting...We have an IL Supreme court ruling and shortcoming from the Federal relief process to hang our arguments on...ISP is not offering a functional relief process...just a denial.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 7:11:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:27:38 PM EDT
[#10]
The ISP runs more than 1.5 million FOID BGCs  everyday?
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 4:15:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

seems unlikely
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 10:06:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I think that those who have Concealed carry or an C&R/SBR are being looked at as far back as possible, for anything that can be used to restrict possession.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 11:31:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

seems unlikely
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

seems unlikely

http://www.ilfvcc.org/illinoisfirearms/lawenforcementchecklists/Law%20Enforcement%20Guide.pdf

FOID Revocation and Notification Process: Criminal Convictions

The Firearms Information and Resources Bureau, a division of the Illinois State Police, is notified of criminal convictions of domestic

battery and violations of orders of protection nightly through the Criminal History Record Information (CHRI).

• If there is an order of protection or clear and present danger firearm prohibitor, action will be taken within approximately 1 business day to

revoke the existing FOID card.

• A letter is sent to the cardholder to provide notification of the invalid status of the card with instructions to mail the card to the ISP FIRB.

FOID Revocation and Notification Process:

Mental Health Facilities

Each evening the Firearms Information and Resources Bureau sends the Illinois Department of Human Services (IDHS) a list of valid FOID

card holders and DHS checks the list for any individuals who have been committed to a state hospital for mental health purposes. DHS

then alerts the ISP FIRB of any FOID card holders that have been committed.

• If there is a firearm prohibitor, action will be taken within approximately 1 business day to revoke the existing FOID card.

• A letter is sent to the cardholder to provide notification of the invalid status of the card with instructions to mail the card to the ISP F

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 1:44:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:41:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This is too big of a question for this forum...The relief process is what we are targeting...We have an IL Supreme court ruling and shortcoming from the Federal relief process to hang our arguments on...ISP is not offering a functional relief process...just a denial.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I taught a student earlier this year who had a Felony conviction, had served time in prison and held a valid FOID.  The conviction was not for a crime involving Domestic Violence.  I know that relief can be granted, but Domestic Violence is a priority with the Feds and I believe it can make it even more difficult to get relief from the courts.

Are you aware of any case where the courts granted relief to someone who had a conviction for a crime related to Domestic Violence?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:10:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I taught a student earlier this year who had a Felony conviction, had served time in prison and held a valid FOID.  The conviction was not for a crime involving Domestic Violence.  I know that relief can be granted, but Domestic Violence is a priority with the Feds and I believe it can make it even more difficult to get relief from the courts.

Are you aware of any case where the courts granted relief to someone who had a conviction for a crime related to Domestic Violence?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not a lot but, a basis for moving forward was IL Supreme Ct. case Coram
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top