Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2005 9:18:13 AM EDT
Hey Hey my FOID card expires today. I'm now offiically a criminal... I just may go out and rob a bank or something now that I can....

AnyHoo, I sent in my renewal and the check cleared the bank on 10/21, yet no card....??? So I started calling the number on ISP web site for Firearms Services Bureau 217-782-7980..  All I get is a funny sounding busy signal....???  Today I called a general information number and the lady told me to call the an alt FOID number at 217-782-3310! Hot Damn! someone answered the phone.  A very (Nice) Lady told me the card has been processed and is in the mail. I informed her about the busy phone number and she apologized and told me that this is there busiest  time of year, due to hunting season and everyone in a mad rush to get a FOID for hunting.   She was very nice, and for a while I thought I may have dialed another state by mistake! Any how I wanted to pass this on to save another hometowner  my frustation. Maybe Cody can tack this alt FOID number somewhere....

This FOID crap is so STUPID! Our legislators should be imprisoned for passing this Crap! My Bud's a Cop and his FOID was denied right after blowjob got in office. Now that's funny!
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 11:51:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Actually, I believe there was talk of a law passed.  Since you applied for a renewal, you're alright.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 1:50:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 1:43:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the #.My check cleared the 14th of Nov. she said that I wasnt in the system yet.She was nice and said I should check back ina week or two.She said they were really back logged!

Just curious,How does a Cop fail to get his Foid approved?
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 2:28:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Unpaid parking ticket will do it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 1:19:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I called yesterday to get an update on mine.  Lady said that they were on apps dated Nov 2 (I don't know if this means stamped or received) and once a check was processed it was taking about 38 days after.  Good lord that's like 2 months when it's all said and done.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 11:53:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I tis even more of a pain in the ass when you have a  FOID and the ISP have your current address on file, but since your FOID address doesn't match your home address, Sportsmans Guide will refuse to ship ammo to you, even though it is perfectly legal to have a card without a current address! And they won't accept a Driver's License as proof of my address!
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 12:26:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I called yesterday to get an update on mine.  Lady said that they were on apps dated Nov 2 (I don't know if this means stamped or received) and once a check was processed it was taking about 38 days after.  Good lord that's like 2 months when it's all said and done.

It is truly a horseshit deal!

Are there any pro gun groups activley trying to scrap this bullshit?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:47:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Yea.  Called today and found out 7 to 10 more business days before it ships.  It will only have taken 2 months.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:13:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I tis even more of a pain in the ass when you have a  FOID and the ISP have your current address on file, but since your FOID address doesn't match your home address, Sportsmans Guide will refuse to ship ammo to you, even though it is perfectly legal to have a card without a current address! And they won't accept a Driver's License as proof of my address!

Illinois law says you can use either address as proof of address.

You are correct in that you don't get a new card when you change your address.  They really should accept your driver's license, though.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:58:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Got  mine yesterday!

8 weeks to the day
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:41:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I was under the impression that state law required all apps. to processed in 30 days?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:25:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I was under the impression that state law required all apps. to processed in 30 days?

It doesn't say anything about how long it should take to make a card and get it out to you, though, which is after it's, "Processed."

Funny that they don't mind, "processing" your payment ahead of time, though!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:21:08 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It doesn't say anything about how long it should take to make a card and get it out to you, though, which is after it's, "Processed."

Funny that they don't mind, "processing" your payment ahead of time, though!

I believe I read that if your application is not processed within 30 days, you can use a copy of the application as FOID stand-in.

Not absolutely sure on that, but it was something similiar.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:02:49 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Illinois law says you can use either address as proof of address.

You are correct in that you don't get a new card when you change your address.  They really should accept your driver's license, though.

They did...there was some confusion between me and SG, but I got it straightened out...
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:09:12 PM EDT
[#15]
With regards to the FOID, I have now been hearing some BS that if the card is not signed, it is a $100 fine.

Anyone hear about this or is this just like I think, BS????????????????
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:38:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
With regards to the FOID, I have now been hearing some BS that if the card is not signed, it is a $100 fine.

Anyone hear about this or is this just like I think, BS????????????????

Who told you this?

Rule number one: If the guy in the gunstore told you something, check references to make sure it isn't BS

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:12:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Good grief... thanks for the warning.  Mine doesn't expire until 4/1, but I just dropped the renewal in the mail today to be safe.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:33:39 AM EDT
[#18]
It was on a sign at one of the info booths at the Rockford Gun Show last Nov.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:54:50 AM EDT
[#19]
It definitely takes awhile for the FOID Unit to send out the new cards during hunting season.  The poor old woman who makes them is working as fast as she can.  

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:48:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Well, found out it is true!  But it is really not a big deal.

$100 Misdemeanor if it is not signed and the offidcer wants to pe a PIA!

Link

Just of it:

Be sure to cross T's, dot I's on Illinois FOID cards
Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Gun owners must follow state regulations — including signing on the dotted line — to have a valid firearm owner’s identification (FOID) card.

Illinois residents who obtain or own guns or ammunition within the state must have in their possession a valid FOID card issued their name.

A FOID card must be signed for it to be valid, said Master Sgt. Rick Hector, spokesman for the Illinois State Police, the agency which issues FOID cards in the state.

According to state law, a valid FOID card must contain an applicant’s name, residence, date of birth, sex, physical description, recent photograph, and signature. A FOID is valid for five years from the date it was issued.

However, a gun owner’s FOID card is laminated before he or she receives it, and is valid only after the recipient signs it on the right side in the area indicated (see example).

“It’s important to have it on your person and make sure you sign it,” Hector said.

Failure to sign a FOID card is a Class A misdemeanor carrying a $100 fine, according to the Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR).

In most cases, a conservation police officer would ask a hunter with an unsigned FOID card to show proper identification and then let the hunter sign the card, said Chris McCloud, an IDNR spokesman.

“As long as they (hunters) comply by signing the card in front of the officer and

show proper ID, we won’t throw the book at them,” McCloud added.

Hector reminded gun owners not to wait until the last minute to renew expired FOID cards. Mid-December is a peak demand period for the State Police to process FOID cards, he pointed out.

State law requires a 30-day period to renew a FOID card, but the process may take longer, according to Hector. He recommended gun owners send renewal forms at least three months in advance to ensure their FOID cards are renewed before they expire.

Questions about FOID cards may be directed to the State Police at 217-782-7980. However, callers may be put on hold for a period of time before their questions are answered.

The State Police also has a web page with frequently asked FOID questions. The address is { www.isp.state.il.us/foid/firearmsfaq.cfm} . – Kay Shipman

For More Info Contact:
David McClelland, Editor of Publications
Phone (309) 557-3156      Fax (800) 640-1995      E-mail [email protected]  

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:14:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Given the fact you MUST have a FOID in IL, now that you have committed a crime, they can show up, spread their wisdom, write it all out on a report and go back to doing what they do best, causing traffic accidents from radaring in rush hour.

Abolish the freaking FOID already.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:16:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is truly a horseshit deal!

Are there any pro gun groups activley trying to scrap this bullshit?

Richard Pearson and the genuis squad at ISRA. Don't hold your breath.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:59:23 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
It was on a sign at one of the info booths at the Rockford Gun Show last Nov.  

Gotcha.  And it appears from someone else's reserach that it is true.

Not that it matters if you can't get your f*@#$&g FOID card renewed, then you are committing a felony thanks to our untimely Illinois State Police!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:18:41 PM EDT
[#24]
did you catch the editorial in the Chicago Trib today?

They say that the reason there is a backlog is because the fee doesn't pay for their time to process it!

They want to raise the fee since they rasied car license fees and camper fees and feel we aren't any different.

Since they think they can tax the 2nd amendment, how about a special one for the 1st amendment, the newspaper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's see how they like it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:48:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Steps to FOID card processing:

1.  Open envelope

2.  Run background cehck which consists of:
     a.  Type name in computer
     b.  drink coffee on taxpayer dime
     c.  see that person is either "OK" or "not OK"

3.  If "OK" then tape *user provided pic* to card, run through lamination machine

4.  Mail back

Oh yeah, since when does $5 make any difference in the TIME it takes to process?  The moreyou process the more $5 checks you should be cashing.  Oh wait, they caash the checks ASAP, but get around to finish the FOID cards 'whenever.'

Unfuckingbelievable.  Hell, they might as well not even bother with a stawide AWB, they can just make us all felons by having the backlog stretch to 5+ years.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top