Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2015 6:54:44 PM EST
I used to live in Carbondale. When I was there I had a Illinois Drivers License I got a Foid card. The Foid card is still valid but I moved back to Kansas and now have a Kansas DL. I'm traveling back to Illinois in about a month and was wondering if I'm still legal to possess a gun in Illinois?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:24:42 PM EST
Unless specifically exempted by statute, any Illinois resident who acquires or possesses firearm or firearm ammunition within the State must have in their possession a valid Firearm Owner's Identification (FOID) card issued in his or her name. Non residents are not required to have a FOID card. New Illinois residents have sixty calendar days after obtaining an Illinois driver’s license or Illinois Identification Card to obtain a FOID card.

ABOVE COPIED FROM ISP WEBSITE LINK.

You should find answers here. Hope it helps. Don't want to give misinformation.

http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/firearmsfaq.cfm

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:25:25 PM EST
are you moving here or just visiting?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:05:09 AM EST
Just visiting!
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 3:51:25 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GravyTrain61:
Just visiting!
View Quote
Then you don't need a FOID, and probably wouldn't get one if you applied.

If you try to buy a gun or ammo, you might run into a problem though. Some employees at some stores don't understand that if you have an out of state DL you won't have a FOID.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 5:23:54 PM EST
Originally Posted By GravyTrain61:
I used to live in Carbondale. When I was there I had a Illinois Drivers License I got a Foid card. The Foid card is still valid but I moved back to Kansas and now have a Kansas DL. I'm traveling back to Illinois in about a month and was wondering if I'm still legal to possess a gun in Illinois?
View Quote

Traveling to IL...Yes, you can have guns with you. Transport them unloaded and enclosed in a case. If you are legal to carry in your home state, you can have a loaded CC handgun in your vehicle most everywhere in the state but, if it leaves the vehicle (unless private property with permission), has to be unloaded in a case.
That should just about cover you!
Top Top