Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2015 7:54:44 PM EDT
I used to live in Carbondale. When I was there I had a Illinois Drivers License I got a Foid card. The Foid card is still valid but I moved back to Kansas and now have a Kansas DL. I'm traveling back to Illinois in about a month and was wondering if I'm still legal to possess a gun in Illinois?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:24:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless specifically exempted by statute, any Illinois resident who acquires or possesses firearm or firearm ammunition within the State must have in their possession a valid Firearm Owner's Identification (FOID) card issued in his or her name. Non residents are not required to have a FOID card. New Illinois residents have sixty calendar days after obtaining an Illinois driver’s license or Illinois Identification Card to obtain a FOID card.

ABOVE COPIED FROM ISP WEBSITE LINK.

You should find answers here. Hope it helps. Don't want to give misinformation.

http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/firearmsfaq.cfm

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:25:25 PM EDT
[#2]
are you moving here or just visiting?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:05:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Just visiting!
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:51:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Just visiting!
View Quote
Then you don't need a FOID, and probably wouldn't get one if you applied.

If you try to buy a gun or ammo, you might run into a problem though. Some employees at some stores don't understand that if you have an out of state DL you won't have a FOID.

Link Posted: 1/20/2015 6:23:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I used to live in Carbondale. When I was there I had a Illinois Drivers License I got a Foid card. The Foid card is still valid but I moved back to Kansas and now have a Kansas DL. I'm traveling back to Illinois in about a month and was wondering if I'm still legal to possess a gun in Illinois?
View Quote

Traveling to IL...Yes, you can have guns with you.  Transport them unloaded and enclosed in a case.  If you are legal to carry in your home state, you can have a loaded CC handgun in your vehicle most everywhere in the state but, if it leaves the vehicle (unless private property with permission), has to be unloaded in a case.
That should just about cover you!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top