Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 3/8/2006 6:09:44 AM EST
I`m thinking about getting a FFL for myself.

1. I heard that there is a FFL for yourself only. Meaning you can buy guns by mail order but you can`t sell them.
2. How hard is it to get a FFL in Philly?

Is it worth the trouble or should I stick to my dealers?

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 10:14:25 AM EST
I think your talking about a C&R you can call the BATF and they will send you the paper work out to you
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:38:21 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/11/2006 11:43:00 AM EST by 509thsfs]
Yep, sounds like a 03 FFL C&R License (which I have). You can buy and have guns shipped directly to you. Keep in mind though, you are not going to be able to get an AR or any other modern firearm with it. Just firearms 50 plus years old and listed as a Curio or Relic on the ATF list. This is a COLLECTORS license. For example, if a guy in AZ has a Win M94 made in 1934 or a guy in CO has an M1 Garand made in 1944, or a dealer in OH has a British No4 Enfield, you can send them the money and a copy of your 03 FFL and they can send the gun directly to your house. No need to use a Dealer as middle man.

You will also have to keep a book and log in/out any aquisitions and dispositions as well as subject to an inspection by ATF. No big thing really. One other advantage of having one is sending a copy to a lot of venders (Midway and Brownells for example)and getting the dealer prices on items.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:47:02 PM EST
509thsfs Isn`t there a version of the FFL the describes what you just said but you can get modern guns? Or is this more range BS? Thanks
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:21:54 AM EST

ATF has been cracking down on what they call "kitchen-table" dealers. You can try to apply, but you may find the road difficult.

From AFT's site:


(A1) Does the law regulate who can be in the business? [Back]

Yes. The Gun Control Act (GCA), administered by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) of the Department of the Treasury, contains Federal
licensing standards for various firearms businesses (manufacturers, importers, and dealers). An example of these standards is that the applicant must have a
business premises. [18 U. S. C. 923( d), 27 CFR 178.47]

(A2) Who can get a license? [Back]

ATF will approve the application if the applicant:
Is 21 years or more of age;
Is not prohibited from shipping, transporting, receiving or possessing firearms or ammunition;

Has not willfully violated the GCA or its regulations;
Has not willfully failed to disclose material information or willfully made false statements concerning material facts in connection with his
Has premises for conducting business or collecting; and,
The applicant certifies that--

(1) the business to be conducted under the license is not prohibited by state or local law in the place where the licensed premises is located;
(2) within 30 days after the application is approved the business will comply with the requirements of state and local law applicable to the conduct of the business;
(3) the business will not be conducted under the license until the requirements of state and local law applicable to the business have been met;
(4) the applicant has sent or delivered a form to the chief law enforcement officer where the premises is located notifying the officer that the applicant intends to apply for a license; and
(5) secure gun storage or safety devices will be available at any place in which firearms are sold under the license to persons who are not licensees (" secure gun storage or safety device" is defined in 18 U. S. C. 921( a)( 34)).

Editor's Note
The requirement to certify to the availability of gun storage or safety devices was enacted on October 22, 1998, by Public Law 105-277. The
requirement is codified in section 923( d)( 1)( G) of the GCA and becomes effective 180 days after the date of enactment.

Top Top