Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2016 3:23:27 PM EDT
Working at 2 local run ranges I often get asked the question who should I send my rifle to for compliancy work? Was thinking about taking some armorer classes and gunsmith classes. I was told by my bosses that I should get an FFL if I wanted to do anything. Seeing as how I currently live in a townhouse I believe this to a problem. I am aware I need to notify neighbors as well as get a signed letter from my Chief of police. Am I barking up the wrong tree? Is it possible or would I be wasting my time? Either way I'll still be taking the classes because I still would like to have that knowledge if it should ever arise that I need it. Anyone here have an FFL from thier home? Please fill me in. Much thanks
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 3:35:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I too have thought about this and my feeling is, everything this state does is to hinder us. Its just not worth the effort IMO. I'm probably wrong but to me it seems like such a hassle to pursue.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 3:54:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I do have a friend I've know for about 5 years who does posses a Ffl from his home, I'll be contacting him and asking some questions
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 4:48:28 PM EDT
[#3]
BTDT.
Had mine back in the 80's.
The ATF tells you that they report to the state all issued FFL's. (They say that NJSP actually answers their phones)
If you dont have a NJ state (or town...I forget, it's been a while) you get a "knock knock" at 3am from NJSP.
At the time I was working 15++ hrs a day, didnt want the wife to have a cardiac so I gave it back.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 5:21:57 PM EDT
[#4]
At the present time, the BATFE will not issue a federal firearms license without the business meeting the same requirements as for a state Firearms retailers license. You must have a zoning permit, the chief law enforcement officer in your town must be notified and if you are in or near a residential area all the residents that surround the business location get a notice of your application for a firearms business.  You use to be able to obtain a federal collectors license but it could not be used in NJ due to the overly restrictive gun control laws. The home based FFL's in NJ are mostly guys that started out years ago when the mentality about a firearms business in the townships was different.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 6:44:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Just tell them to send any gunsmithing work to Sean Reed at CDI Custom in PA. He's the best in the area. Save yourself the trouble and don't get involved with the Feds!!!
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 9:50:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I haven't checked in for a while so I just saw this- I had a N.J. FFL from around 2000 to 2007. I pursued it under "gunsmithing" instead of firearms retailer.
I was able to get the state and federal licenses, most likely due my "access" to the system. Without knowing some of the bureaucrats in my jurisdiction and a few of the njsp firearms unit guys it would have been a very long process.

Not to mention, if you are going to 'smith, you are going to have to test fire- not something you can do in a townhouse.
Both in N.J. and in now in Pa. I am blessed with understanding neighbors that tolerate the gunfire (I test fire indoors, into a proper trap).

It's probably better to work under the FFL of one of the shops you work for- unless the law has changed, you already have the "pink card" that allows you to work behind the counter at a gun store.
I'll also throw out there that gunsmithing will NOT generate enough revenue to keep you in hookers and blow...

-Sean
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 10:26:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 8:52:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I haven't checked in for a while so I just saw this- I had a N.J. FFL from around 2000 to 2007. I pursued it under "gunsmithing" instead of firearms retailer.
I was able to get the state and federal licenses, most likely due my "access" to the system. Without knowing some of the bureaucrats in my jurisdiction and a few of the njsp firearms unit guys it would have been a very long process.

Not to mention, if you are going to 'smith, you are going to have to test fire- not something you can do in a townhouse.
Both in N.J. and in now in Pa. I am blessed with understanding neighbors that tolerate the gunfire (I test fire indoors, into a proper trap).

It's probably better to work under the FFL of one of the shops you work for- unless the law has changed, you already have the "pink card" that allows you to work behind the counter at a gun store.
I'll also throw out there that gunsmithing will NOT generate enough revenue to keep you in hookers and blow...

-Sean
View Quote

Thanks Sean, I spoke with my buddy that owns one of the shops I work at today. He said it would be better for me to just work outta the shop than at home. For obvious reasons and others I haven't thought of. By know means was this going to replace my day job but just another income to supplement my "addiction". I am also the type of person that would rather learn a trade than pay someone to do it for me. So with that said I'll be taking some gunsmithing classes as well as armorer classes. Thanks everyone for thier input.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:02:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 7:34:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Lmao
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top